What's new

Chinese Dissident Awarded Nobel Peace Prize

RobbieS

Reaction score
Chinese Dissident Awarded Nobel Peace Prize

BEIJING — Liu Xiaobo, an impassioned literary critic, political essayist and democracy advocate repeatedly jailed by the Chinese government for his writings, won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in recognition of his pursuit of nonviolent political reform in the world’s most populous country.

Pro-democracy activists held pictures of Liu Xiaobo in Hong Kong in 2009.

Mr. Liu, 54, perhaps China’s best known dissident, is currently serving an 11-year term on charges of “inciting the subversion of state power.”

He is the first Chinese citizen to win the Peace Prize.

In awarding the prize to Mr. Liu, the Norwegian Nobel Committee delivered an unmistakable rebuke to Beijing’s authoritarian leaders at a time of growing intolerance for domestic dissent and spreading unease internationally over the muscular diplomacy that has accompanied China’s economic rise.

In a move that in retrospect appears to have been counterproductive, a senior Chinese official recently warned the Norwegian committee’s chairman that giving the prize to Mr. Liu would adversely affect relations between the two countries.

Although there was no immediate response to news out of Oslo, where the prize was announced, the Chinese government in recent weeks has not been shy in describing Mr. Liu as unworthy of such an accolade. “This person was sentenced to jail because he violated Chinese law,” a Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said last week.

Liu Xia, his wife, said it unlikely her husband would immediately learn of the news because he has no access to a telephone.

The prize is enormous boost for China’s beleaguered reform movement and an affirmation of the two decades Mr. Liu has spent advocating peaceful political change in the face of unremitting hostility from the ruling Chinese Community Party. Blacklisted from academia and barred from publishing in China, Mr. Liu has been harassed and detained repeatedly since 1989, when he stepped into the drama playing out on Tiananmen Square by staging a hunger strike and then negotiating the peaceful retreat of student demonstrators as thousands of soldiers stood by with rifles at the ready.

“If not for the work of Liu and the others to broker a peaceful withdrawal from the square, Tiananmen Square would have been a field of blood on June 4,” said Gao Yu, a veteran journalist who was arrested in the hours before the tanks began moving through the city.

His most recent arrest in December of 2008 came a day before a reformist manifesto he helped craft began circulating on the Internet. The petition, entitled Charter ‘08, demanded that China’s rulers embrace human rights, judicial independence and the kind of political reform that would ultimately end the Communist Party’s monopoly on power.

“For all these years, Liu Xiaobo has persevered in telling the truth about China and because of this, for the fourth time, he has lost his personal freedom,” his wife, Liu Xia, said earlier this week.

Given his detention, it is unclear how Mr. Liu would take possession of the prize, which includes a gold medal, a diploma and the equivalent of $1.46 million.

I cant say if he was the best candidate for the prize but I am sure as hell that China wont be happy. Interesting to see how the Chinese govt. responds.

Last edited:
We had thread on this in the world affairs forum. But anyway it'll be interesting to see how the Chinese PR machine responds, I can think of three ways at the moment

One, simply label Liu as a criminal serving his sentence without mention his political views. This may appears the safest but nowadays the public can get a lot of information from the Internet, so curious Chinese may still get to know more about him and the account they get may not be what the government likes.

Or, two. In addition to 'jailed criminal', the government can labeled Liu as a enemy of stability and economic progress or a host of other things. Since the Chinese government enjoy a certain degree of support among the public this should be a safe strategy.

Or the third option. China can go on offensive and label Liu an anti-Chinese racist and appeal to Chinese nationalism at home and attack Norwegians internationally as anti-Chinese. This will completely vilify Liu in China like what they did to Dalai Lama, but will definitely generate more international headlines.

We had thread on this in the world affairs forum. But anyway it'll be interesting to see how the Chinese PR machine responds, I can think of three ways at the moment

One, simply label Liu as a criminal serving his sentence without mention his political views. This may appears the safest but nowadays the public can get a lot of information from the Internet, so curious Chinese may still get to know more about him and the account they get may not be what the government likes.

Or, two. In addition to 'jailed criminal', the government can labeled Liu as a enemy of stability and economic progress or a host of other things. Since the Chinese government enjoy a certain degree of support among the public this should be a safe strategy.

Or the third option. China can go on offensive and label Liu an anti-Chinese racist and appeal to Chinese nationalism at home and attack Norwegians internationally as anti-Chinese. This will completely vilify Liu in China like what they did to Dalai Lama, but will definitely generate more international headlines.

Option one, seems the most plausible.

And apologies, if the issue was already being discussed in another thread. I'd request the Mods. to move it to another thread.

Well a fresh new start in this thread may actually be a good idea.

Anyway I think the first option is dangerous. It may work 10 years ago but nowadays there are just too many way for people to get information, so a defensive PR strategy may no longer work.

Look at the Google affair early this year, that was a domestic PR disaster for the government because it went on defensive and left Google to seize on all initiatives.

Well a fresh new start in this thread may actually be a good idea.

Anyway I think the first option is dangerous. It may work 10 years ago but nowadays there are just too many way for people to get information, so a defensive PR strategy may no longer work.

Look at the Google affair early this year, that was a domestic PR disaster for the government because it went on defensive and left Google to seize on all initiatives.

What do you think about the guy though? Is he what he claims and is made out to be by the western media? A righteous and far-sighted dissenter?

For India and Indian members on this forum, this holds out valuable lessons. The day might not be too far when someone like Arundhati Roy is accorded a similar status by for her efforts for peace. Come to think of it, the kind of statements that she regularly gives out, she might have that goal in mind.

I personally think Mr.Liu as old-time red guard relic that has no relevance in today's China whatsoever. China today need real thinker capable of original and critical thinking, Mr.Liu can do neither. The sooner old-school dissidents like Mr.Liu fade into history books the better it is for Chinese political reform.

It does worry me somewhat that anti-reformists in the party will seize on this opportunity to attack reformers.

This just in -

BEIJING (AP) — A bitter China has denounced the awarding of the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo and said the decision would hurt relations with Norway.

The Foreign Ministry said in a statement Friday that the award should have gone to promoting international friendship and disarmament.

"Liu Xiaobo is a criminal who has been sentenced by Chinese judicial departments for violating Chinese law," it said. Awarding the peace prize to Liu "runs completely counter to the principle of the prize and is also a blasphemy to the peace prize."

It said the decision would damage bilateral relations between China and Norway. It did not give any details.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

OSLO, Norway (AP) — Imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights" — a prize likely to enrage the Chinese government, which had warned the Nobel committee not to honor him.

Thorbjoern Jagland, the Norwegian Nobel Committee chairman, said Liu Xiaobo (LEE-o SHAo-boh) was a symbol for the fight for human rights in China and the government should expect that its policies face scrutiny.

"China has become a big power in economic terms as well as political terms, and it is normal that big powers should be under criticism," Jagland said.

Unlike some in China's highly fractured and persecuted dissident community, the 54-year-old Liu has been an ardent advocate for peaceful, gradual political change, rather than a violent confrontation with the government.

In China, broadcasts of CNN, which is available in tourist hotels, upmarket foreign hotels and places where foreigners gather, went black during the Nobel announcement and when reports about the award later aired.

China's Foreign Ministry did not immediately comment, but a spokeswoman said recently that choosing Liu would go against the prize's aims.

"The person you just mentioned was sentenced to jail by Chinese judicial authorities for violating Chinese law. I think his acts are completely contrary to the aspirations of the Nobel Peace Prize," said spokeswoman Jiang Yu.

It was the first Nobel for the Chinese dissident community since it resurfaced after the country's communist leadership launched economic, but not political reforms three decades ago. The win could jolt a current debate among the leadership and the elite over whether China should begin democratic reforms and if so how quickly.

The Nobel citation said China's new status a big economic and political power must entail increased responsibility.

"China is in breach of several international agreements to which it is a signatory, as well as of its own provisions concerning political rights," it said, citing an article in China's constitution about freedom of speech and assembly.

"In practice, these freedoms have proved to be distinctly curtailed for China's citizens," the citation said.

The document Liu co-authored, Charter 08, called for greater freedoms and an end to the Communist Party's political dominance. It was an intentional echo of Charter 77, the famous call for human rights in then-Czechoslovakia that led to the 1989 Velvet Revolution that swept away communist rule.

"The democratization of Chinese politics can be put off no longer," Charter 08 says.

Thousands of Chinese signed Charter 08, and the Communist Party took the document as a direct challenge.

Police arrested Liu hours before Charter 08 was due to be released in December 2008. Given a brief trial last Christmas Day, Liu was convicted of subversion for writing Charter 08 and other political tracts and sentenced to 11 years in prison.

In a year with a record 237 nominations for the peace prize, Liu had been considered a favorite, with open support from winners Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and others.

When the Tibet-born Dalai Lama won the peace prize in 1989, both the Chinese government and some of the public were angry — the exiled Buddhist leader was endlessly vilified in official propaganda as a traitor for his calls for more autonomy for Tibet.

The son of a soldier, Liu joined China's first wave of university students in the mid-1970s after the chaotic decade of the Cultural Revolution.

Liu's writing first took a political turn in 1988, when he became a visiting scholar in Oslo — his first time outside China.

Liu cut short a visiting scholar stint at Columbia University months later to join the Tiananmen Square protests in Beijing in 1989. He and three other older activists famously persuaded students to peacefully leave the square hours before the deadly June 4 crackdown.

Liu went to prison after the crackdown and was released in early 1991 because he had repented and "performed major meritorious services," state media said at the time, without elaborating.

Still, five years later Liu was sent to a re-education camp for three years for co-writing an open letter that demanded the impeachment of then-President Jiang Zemin.

President Barack Obama won the Nobel peace prize last year.

___

That's pretty routine and definitely not enough. The domestic press is still silent on the issue, I hope they'll launch some counterattacks tomorrow.

Nothing's like watching a good fist fight.

China should be colonized for 300 years!!!:yahoo::rofl:
Congratulations! Mr.Liu has just earned another millions USD foreign exchange for China :china:

Last edited:
Bloody traitor! :angry:

Earned a hard cash by tarnishing the image of his own mother (land) and welcoming enemy suggestions that China should remain defenseless so that India and US can invade all of China and occupy the remaining Chinese land. India is still militarily occupying South Tibet.

Chinese people should see how some home grown traitors are risking China's national security and territorial integrity. Those Chinese who advocate poor defense budget for the PLA are in the same league.

If bashing the Communist party makes a person anti China and earn him 1.5 million $$, then I should also try. I also bash the party for declaring the poor defense budget, whereas China's national security and territorial integrity are under grave threats.

I thought what he was campaigning for was fair enough until I read he advocates for a constitution with multi-party election, at this stage it is neither realistic nor optimal for China.

Be it single or multi-party, what matters is good political governance and decision making, neither system necessarily guarantees that so why so fascinated by one not the other?

While admiring his personal tenacity and knowing some amount of China, I don’t agree with Mr. Liu in many aspects, including his wish for 300 years colonialism on China by Westerners and his Chapter 08.

I admire his personal tenacity, because his peers, such as Cai Lin, Wuer Kaixi, et al. mostly run away to foreign countries to seek personal pleasures but he stays. Frankly, not many Chinese these days have the guts to be like Mr. Liu. Not even renowned physics professor Fang Lizhi, who ended up defecting to US embassy.

But I certainly don’t agree many of his points in his Chapter 08 that caused his recent jail term (which I also disagree with CPC government). If it is indeed doing according to Chapter 08, his western democracy can only turn China into a chaos and resulted in a worse situation than that in India or the Philippines,…

His wish of China to embrace 300 years of western colony is certainly a delight for desperate westerners, represented partially by Norway Nobel committee; but is of course resentment from the Chinese in general.

I see Mr. Liu is now a tragic victim of conflicts between Chinese tradition and Western culture.

Last edited:
Congratz!!

Its better than giving it to B.Obama!
I wonder why was he given the Peace prize.
:lol:

Because he want westerners to colonize China for 300 years, or perhaps more. This certainly delights the westerners. :devil:

In a 1988 interview with Hong Kong's Liberation Monthly (now known as Open Magazine), Liu was asked what it would take for China to realize a true historical transformation. He replied in this way: "(It would take) 300 years of colonialism. In 100 years of colonialism, Hong Kong has changed to what we see today. With China being so big, of course it would take 300 years of colonialism for it to be able to transform into how Hong Kong is today. I have my doubts as to whether 300 years would be enough."

Liu Xiaobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom