What's new

Chinese developers host banquet for 15,000 villagers to celebrate new status as flat owners

If u don't think it is, then why should we even discuss it in this slum-related thread?
So all it takes for you to classify neighborhoods as slum is a thread title? That's pretty funny. You clearly did not read the article:

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-...nging-face-city-its-people-cant-recognise-any

Let me repeat a simple point for you. Just because it's not newly built and not 50 stories tall, doesn't mean it's a slum. They are bulldozing those neighborhoods because it's profitable to sell the condo units, not because the developers are "uplifting" people out of poverty.

Unlike you, I don't worship these government initiatives blindly.

So all it takes for you to classify neighborhoods as slum is a thread title? That's pretty funny. You clearly did not read the article:

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-...nging-face-city-its-people-cant-recognise-any

Let me repeat a simple point for you. Just because it's not newly built and not 50 stories tall, doesn't mean it's a slum. They are bulldozing those neighborhoods because it's profitable to sell the condo units, not because the developers are "uplifting" people out of poverty.

Unlike you, I don't worship these government initiatives blindly.

30 years ago, my quarter was deemed not fit to live for the upper class of my city because it was historically a workers quarter with lots of industry and pollution, later it was filled with "guest workers" and people from the lower social class. The quarter even got nicknamed TBC-Ville a century ago.

One of my best friend whose parents were highly respected doctors living in a posh area was appalled that their son (also a doctor) moved to this quarter and said to him: people don't live there!

Then students looking for cheap accommodations started to move in, then an art house cinema opened, and cafés opened and lo and behold it became a trendy quarter and many "guest workers" started to move out, the old houses got modernised, old buildings all came under monument and heritage protection, new buildings were only allowed to fill the so called bombenlücken (bomb gaps). My house in over 100 years old and is also under protection, which means I can only modernise it without altering the look.

The cheapest flat (around 50 sqm) costs around 0.5 m, if you are lucky enough to find any for sale.

The labeling of suburb communities in the West is a new style of caste system.
It's just that the black and brown neighbourhood have a high crime rate and the schools near them have crappy academic showing. So house prices are lower. No Chinese will move and have their kids go to shitty school

If u don't think it is, then why should we even discuss it in this slum-related thread?

They are old generation overseas chinese, have no clue about new China with modern developing.
They can never imagine that someday China could be superpower without them !

They are old generation overseas chinese, have no clue about new China with modern developing.
They can never imagine that someday China could be superpower without them !
I can never never understand, why is a slum filled with crime, prostitution, dirty shit creek and contagious dieseses worshipped by some people? I think you must understand the difference between historic streets in Wuchang and former slums in Gutian古田。

30 years ago, my quarter was deemed not fit to live for the upper class of my city because it was historically a workers quarter with lots of industry and pollution, later it was filled with "guest workers" and people from the lower social class. The quarter even got nicknamed TBC-Ville a century ago.

One of my best friend whose parents were highly respected doctors living in a posh area was appalled that their son (also a doctor) moved to this quarter and said to him: people don't live there!

Then students looking for cheap accommodations started to move in, then an art house cinema opened, and cafés opened and lo and behold it became a trendy quarter and many "guest workers" started to move out, the old houses got modernised, old buildings all came under monument and heritage protection, new buildings were only allowed to fill the so called bombenlücken (bomb gaps). My house in over 100 years old and is also under protection, which means I can only modernise it without altering the look.

The cheapest flat (around 50 sqm) costs around 0.5 m, if you are lucky enough to find any for sale.
Slums in China are filled with ill quality housing without any style, many with illegal floors added for more compensation.

Back
Top Bottom