What's new

Chinese developers host banquet for 15,000 villagers to celebrate new status as flat owners

Chengdu will finish all redevelopment projects of slums by 2017-2018

Yuejin Village, biggest slum in downtown Chengdu, will start redevelopment in 2017
http://cd.qq.com/a/20160326/008994.htm
132821303.jpg

Caojiaxiang, started reconstruction in 2014
43a7d933c895d14336419a0676f082025aaf07db.jpg
LOCAL201405301810000517288103283.jpg
LOCAL201405302335000245505158849.jpg
LOCAL201405301812000441975604260.jpg

So they (the 2%) fought so hard for years to keep "this" lifestyle and conditions and blocked progress?

Got to admire Mainland China government's patience and good will.
In my building (i don't live there any more), there are one or two family refusing to move....
Already delayed for 2 years....
The rest of the residents are losing patience.....
I'm all for forced removal if 90+% of the residents agree.

Yes. If China were a populist, quick selfish fix polity, there would be no way in the world that it would have progressed the way it did over the past decades.

Wuhan City started slum redevelopment since 2006.
But we are a big city with 10 million people!
I estimate it will finish around 2018-2019.

http://news.cnhubei.com/xw/zw/201507/t3305531.shtml
In 2015, several slum dwellers directly asked Mayor of Hannan District on TV to renovate their houses....
New housing was promised in 2017 in a major redevelopment project....

W020150706853365956326.jpg
W020150706853366042425.jpg

In my building (i don't live there any more), there are one or two family refusing to move....
Already delayed for 2 years....
The rest of the residents are losing patience.....
I'm all for forced removal if 90+% of the residents agree.

I agree even though that would grant the Western press couple of days in heaven as they figure out the next revolution.

But, seriously, probably, some people wish to drag their feet to bargain for a higher price. The government is still better to be patient and fatherly and seek to make everybody really happy.

In the end, government is the sum of the people and it must be the government of all under heaven.

Mainland China has a super scientific, progressive and pragmatic government.

I agree even though that would grant the Western press couple of days in heaven as they figure out the next revolution.

But, seriously, probably, some people wish to drag their feet to bargain for a higher price. The government is still better to be patient and fatherly and seek to make everybody really happy.

In the end, government is the sum of the people and it must be the government of all under heaven.

Mainland China has a super scientific, progressive and pragmatic government.
Some are illegally adding more floors for excessive compensation!
Intolerable!

The biggest slum in Guangzhou City will be redeveloped soon once 80% villagers agree!

View attachment 340520 View attachment 340521 View attachment 340519

View attachment 340522 View attachment 340523 View attachment 340524 View attachment 340526 View attachment 340525

Slum dwellers in China should have access to decent housing!

These slums are pretty decent for slums

Some are illegally adding more floors for excessive compensation!
Intolerable!

it's easy fix. say adding floors is illegal. They need to pay to take it apart.

True slums don't look like that. If one wishes to live in a slum house one must experience the greatness of India because that's the definition of a true slum.
these are considered slums in China. In the 80s, in Toronto there were houses like these .

It's unfair to compare slums in China v india because in india these would be considered upper middle class

these are considered slums in China. In the 80s, in Toronto there were houses like these .

It's unfair to compare slums in China v india because in india these would be considered upper middle class
What's their criteria?

The official term for these slums in China is 城中村 (village inside the city).

One of my relatives in Wuhan moved from countryside to one slum here decades ago.
I've been to their house...
Not really bad, they have what the middle class have, from A/C to computer.
The difference is, the community looks terrible, but their living standards are not really bad.....
Of course, they are now living in redeveloped community like the one in OP.

What's their criteria?

The official term for these slums in China is 城中村 (village inside the city).

One of my relatives in Wuhan moved from countryside to one slum here decades ago.
I've been to their house...
Not really bad, they have what the middle class have, from A/C to computer.
The difference is, the community looks terrible, but their living standards are not really bad.....
Of course, they are now living in redeveloped community like the one in OP.
in canada its not about the house but the etnic groups who live there. black and south asian neighborhood are considered less desirable places to live

in canada its not about the house but the etnic groups who live there. black and south asian neighborhood are considered less desirable places to live
The labeling of suburb communities in the West is a new style of caste system.

I hate how they refer to the old houses as "slums". Those "slums" are what I remember Guangzhou by. It actually gave me a sense of childhood nostalgia when I went back and visit. Those 50 stories condos don't do it for me. The old Guangzhou is disappearing, replaced by concrete jungle.

I hate how they refer to the old houses as "slums". Those "slums" are what I remember Guangzhou by. It actually gave me a sense of childhood nostalgia when I went back and visit. Those 50 stories condos don't do it for me. The old Guangzhou is disappearing, replaced by concrete jungle.
I can never understand the liberals in the west who think dirty slums as paradise.
Slums are slums, old quarters are old quarters, historic streets are historic streets.
People in the west always glorify the pathetic life in slums which have no historic values.

I can never understand the liberals in the west who think dirty slums as paradise.
Slums are slums, old quarters are old quarters, historic streets are historic streets.
People in the west always glorify the pathetic life in slums which have no historic values.
Those houses aren't paradise, but they have all the amenities available to modern condo. My aunt used to own one in Tianhe District with her family. The house had running water, electricity, AC and satellite TV, as did most in the village. Just because something is not 50 stories tall doesn't mean it's a slum. It might not please your eyes, but those high condos all looking identical reminds me of a bee hive.

Those houses aren't paradise, but they have all the amenities available to modern condo. My aunt used to own one in Tianhe District with her family. The house had running water, electricity, AC and satellite TV, as did most in the village. Just because something is not 50 stories tall doesn't mean it's a slum. It might not please your eyes, but those high condos all looking identical reminds me of a bee hive.
It reminds me of what the former Mayor of Datong said, let those critics live there for 3 years....
You have clearly mixed historic buildings with slums in which crime and drugs prevail.

Slums
79211832.jpg

VS

Historic street
昙华林1.png

-------------------------------------------------------
Slums with A/C and tap water, so what?
Do Westerners prefer to live there when they stand for those lovely houses?

Villages preferred by Chinese
New Countryside Movement

Sometimes, it's tough and there is a fine line.
If you don't redevelop some areas, people will complain that the government doesn't care.
If you redevelop some areas, the government is accused of destroying historic stuff.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Sometimes, It's a no win situation.

I agree with you. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's a slum.

IMO, this needs to be redevelop if the government has the capability.
Also, replacing this slum with new buildings is only one part of the story.
The government would also need to provide jobs for the people.
Otherwise, sooner or later, the new buildings will become slums again.

Historic street
%E6%98%99%E5%8D%8E%E6%9E%971-png.341776
IMO, this looks nice, neat and historic.
This one has to be preserved. It is a nice look and feel.

New Countryside Movement
The new countryside looks nice.

It reminds me of what the former Mayor of Datong said, let those critics live there for 3 years....
You have clearly mixed historic buildings with slums in which crime and drugs prevail.

Slums
View attachment 341775

VS

Historic street
View attachment 341776

-------------------------------------------------------
Slums with A/C and tap water, so what?
Do Westerners prefer to live there when they stand for those lovely houses?

New Countryside Movement
You seem to be under the impression that village houses = slum. It's certainly not. Just because it was built prior to those new condos, doesn't make it a slum. My aunt's family lived in one until a few years ago, and they were quite well off. They had a car, two motorcycles, AC, satellite TV and home phone. Everyone has those you say? Considering they had all of that in the early 1990's, it was pretty much the standard for middle class back then. Older style village houses don't have to be "historic" for it not to be a slum. There are tons of run down apartment buildings in much worse shape, yet you don't apply the term to them.

You seem to be under the impression that village houses = slum. It's certainly not. Just because it was built prior to those new condos, doesn't make it a slum. My aunt's family lived in one until a few years ago, and they were quite well off. They had a car, two motorcycles, AC, satellite TV and home phone. Everyone has those you say? Considering they had all of that in the early 1990's, it was pretty much the standard for middle class back then. Older style village houses don't have to be "historic" for it not to be a slum. There are tons of run down apartment buildings in much worse shape, yet you don't apply the term to them.
If u don't think it is, then why should we even discuss it in this slum-related thread?

Back
Top Bottom