What's new

Chinese Aero Engine information thread

Have you ever heard about the WS-15??? After being on this forum for almost 10 years ... sigh.

An engine whose core was supposedly tested in 2009 and yet has not even borne a functional prototype? Come on, it's bust.

An engine whose core was supposedly tested in 2009 and yet has not even borne a functional prototype? Come on, it's bust.
Says a guy who has not the slightest clue in the developmental time frame of a T/R 10 gas turbine ... and just because we haven't had news on the WS-15 means it's a bust??? We don't have any new J-20 serial numbers so we should assume it's just a bust??? And yes, the WS-15 does have a functional prototype ... just not one that you would see. Absence of information does not mean absence of development.

it was rumoured china will be assisting Germany in their efforts to build a reliable jet engine, was it confirmed ?

No offence, but I'm sure German engine technology is still ahead....

But all German gas turbines are built in collaboration with other European countries (e.g. Rolls Royce). Germany doesn't have a completely domestic engine like France's M-88, so I'm not surprised China would be able to sell some technology to it.

Are you sure this is even a Chinese engine? The serrated nozzles doesn't look like those of 2021 and the facility looks Western ...
You're right, it's the F135 STOVL variant. I first saw the picture in a Chinese article discussing the J-20 and did an image search and saw only other Chinese websites (you have failed me for the last time, Google...). I compared it to the F135 but I forgot about the STOVL variant.
:(

But all German gas turbines are built in collaboration with other European countries (e.g. Rolls Royce). Germany doesn't have a completely domestic engine like France's M-88, so I'm not surprised China would be able to sell some technology to it.

China was indeed in talks offering to sell turbine blade technology to Germany, the outcome however is not certain, partly due to American pressure.

Link:
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...olved-the-one-thing-was-poised-stop-its-24149

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...hina-talks-sale-jet-engine-technology-germany

But that does not mean the technology is not available - quite to the contrary it is due to ToT agreements for such collaboration projects - only that certail parts of these engines are built by certain members due to an agreed workshare, the €fighter's EJ200 and the M.400's engine are prime examples. If this is always good is another issue.

But that does not mean the technology is not available - quite to the contrary it is due to ToT agreements for such collaboration projects - only that certail parts of these engines are built by certain members due to an agreed workshare, the €fighter's EJ200 and the M.400's engine are prime examples. If this is always good is another issue.
With the Brexit around the corner Germany and Italy must be looking for new partners as Rolls Royce engines will be difficult to collaborate with now. May be China has some extra money to spare in joint research and get hands on few advanced technologies, Germany and China are warming up to each other these days

If you read the SCMP post closely, you will see it is one specific technology. Europe has an overall more advanced aviation industry than that of China ... but that doesn't mean China can't be ahead in several areas.

If you read the SCMP post closely, you will see it is one specific technology. Europe has an overall more advanced aviation industry than that of China ... but that doesn't mean China can't be ahead in several areas.
China has made a religious effort to improve it's engines technology once it was unable to get it from anywhere else in the world. May be they have acheived a level where they can help others and get something back in return as well.

China has made a religious effort to improve it's engines technology once it was unable to get it from anywhere else in the world. May be they have acheived a level where they can help others and get something back in return as well.
get something in return is a good idea.

in turbofan tech field, no its not, far from what you believe```institutions of China's defense sector do have few prospective cooperations between Gernamy, mainly from machine tools,```but in terms of high performance turbofan techs, for now, there are U.S, Britan and China```those people dont even look into Russians now``````

contracted part work and supplying parts does not equal to a holistic R&D```like the British's MK202 turbofan engine, that we bought it, got the complete TOT and it only took us few years to build it in late 80s and early 90s (we were quite backward that time``) for our JH-7s```but took us 20 more years for WS-10 to be reliable````engineering and technological advancement is based on years of learnings from mistake and failure, not from TOT or contracted part works or because it is an advanced country (well cant deny the last one does provide better know-how and skilled labour)````

What about Japan's domestic turbofan engines?

Last edited:
What about Japan's domestic turbofan engines?
if America provides 100% TOT and data and tech support, they may will come up WS-10B equivalent turbofan engine in 10 years time, they might have better service life time than ours`````but again, they need huge amount of money, 100% tech and data support from America, and on top of that, they also need a complete supply eco-system consist of dozens of highly experienced parts suppliers (which they dont have```)

if America provides 100% TOT and data and tech support, they may will come up WS-10B equivalent turbofan engine in 10 years time, they might have better service life time than ours`````but again, they need huge amount of money, 100% tech and data support from America, and on top of that, they also need a complete supply eco-system consist of dozens of highly experienced parts suppliers (which they dont have```)
Just like Japanese cars which took over US industry slowly and gradually US will not like Japan to dominate its aerospace industry as well. That is why they dont offer TOT even to their best allies other than Israel (US is slave to Israeli Zionists financially). Only China has the capacity to counter US dominance in aerospace sector.

Back
Top Bottom