What's new

China’s Tencent is now a bigger gaming company than Microsoft and Activision

Mar 11, 2014

China’s Tencent Is Now Bigger Than Intel
MI-CB727_CBANKS_G_20140310160722.jpg

--Zuma Press
Tencent HoldingsTCEHY -1.14% isn’t yet a household name in the U.S., but it should be.

With a market cap now slightly above $150 billion, the Chinese social networking and gaming firm is already larger than staid U.S. tech giants like IntelINTC +0.12%, Cisco SystemsCSCO +0.97% and Hewlett-PackardHPQ -1.07%.

BN-BW003_ctech0_E_20140311051009.jpg

And given Tencent’s shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange are up more than 25% since Jan. 1, if it keeps up the momentum, it could soon eclipse AT&TT +0.47%, which had a market cap at close Monday of $169 billion.

Though few outside of China use Tencent’s services, the company’s increasingly massive value shows it pays to be one of the kings of the Chinese Internet, which now has more Web and smartphone users than any other market in the world. The company’s scale, combined with its increasing ambitions abroad also serve as a reminder that those who ignore the company do so at their own peril.

The most recent example of this came Tuesday in the form of a CLSA report valuing Tencent’s messaging application WeChat at $64 billion:argh:, or about three times the amount FacebookFB +1.11% paid for WhatsApp. Though app developers outside Asia have said they see the many features in Asian chat apps as potential annoyances to users, CLSA analyst Elinor Leung argues games, advertisements, and e-commerce options mean Tencent has the ability to make around $3 per WeChat user, compared with the $1-per-user fee WhatsApp charges.

Though it remains to be seen just how much Tencent can make from WeChat, it has already begun adding mobile games, an online-payment tool, features that help users flag taxis or buy movie tickets, and even a platform for investing into a money-market-like fund.

If those features start bringing in money over the next year—and Ms. Leung points out in her report that one Tencent-created game promoted on WeChat is reportedly making 200 million yuan ($32.6 million) per month:sick:—that could start to change the calculus for others like Facebook and WhatsApp.

China’s Tencent Is Now Bigger Than Intel - China Real Time Report - WSJ

Agreed. And since, they have investments in developers; games will also be made for the same.

But, I wish the article was more researched.

researched article, that's a luxury that's as elusive as our panda is in the wild.

When controlled media seems more objective than free media of America, you know you got problems.

QQ截图20140313055356.jpg

Ma Huateng didn't transfer the 34% shareholder's equity to MIH TC who purchased the share from a former HK shareholder. This HK shareholder paid 2.2 million $ as contributed capital when Tencent was established in 2001. MIH TC just indirectly got the share. Tecent is the most valuable company in China.

Last edited:
Maybe the europeans protect their videos games markets, as there are practically no chinese or japanese games here

Except mario bros, zelda, Final Fantasy

You need to make war games with multiplayers, i'll buy

Plenty of Japanese games doesn't make it to EU or the US because the genre might not appeal to the Western gamers and secondly plenty games are not translated to foreign languages such as English, French etc. and then there are voice recordings.
These Chinese pc games are only created for the Mainland market plus TW.

Maybe the europeans protect their videos games markets, as there are practically no chinese or japanese games here

Except mario bros, zelda, Final Fantasy

You need to make war games with multiplayers, i'll buy

Language barrier plays a huge part. There are plenty of Chinese games and novels who enjoy good popularity back home, but just couldn't make it past the language barrier. The same thing goes with Japanese games and novels. These books and games lose quite a bit flavor when going from Chinese/Japanese to English. Though Chinese to Japanese or vice versa is fine. It is a language thing.

Plenty of Japanese games doesn't make it to EU or the US because the genre might not appeal to the Western gamers and secondly plenty games are not translated to foreign languages such as English, French etc. and then there are voice recordings.
These Chinese pc games are only created for the Mainland market plus TW.
It can be translated through.
I don't think it's what explains that asian games don't invade the western markets

I think it's important for the asians to be able to made videos games that would be sold all around the world

But i doubt that asians have the capacities to make videos games like Arma3, Call of Duty for the moment, and i think it's quite surprising as we can send satellites in the moon

I played Perfect World which is a Chinese game for 5 years. It started as an awesome game but as time went on they started to heavily commercialize it. In the end it was just money not skills. Sadly I and almost all of my friend gave up otherwise we all used to play it together and I was badly addicted.

I played Perfect World which is a Chinese game for 5 years. It started as an awesome game but as time went on they started to heavily commercialize it. In the end it was just money not skills. Sadly I and almost all of my friend gave up otherwise we all used to play it together and I was badly addicted.
They saved you

Back
Top Bottom