What's new

China’s Submarine Fleet, Evolution & news

Oct 9, 2019, 07:50am
Chinese Navy’s New Mystery Submarine
H I Sutton
Aerospace & Defense
I cover the changing world of underwater warfare.

China continues to surprise the defense world. It is probably the only country on earth who can build a full-size submarine without any details leaking out. By comparison the name, size and general characteristics of US Navy submarines are well known long before they roll out of the shed. A year ago China surprised everyone by launching a submarine which no one had been expecting. Only now are further details emerging via Open Source Intelligence (OSINT).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hisutton/2019/10/09/china-navy-new-mystery-submarine

no news about the type 095 & the type 096 for quite a while now, when will they begin construction!
while China's DDG production is nothing but impressive , but it's SSN production is in a quite terrible condition, severly below what China needs against the USN, in a real war between the two the USN won't use the Burke's at the front lines instead they will send in their SSNs, it should be quite easy for US SSNs to sink all the surface vessels, historicaly ship vs ship battles are quite rare, when a ship is sunk it's done mostly either by a sub or an aircraft.

when they built the Seawolf they completely desregared the cost inorder to get the best possible SSN before they reconsidered & went to the cheaper Virginia, but now the USN decided to go back to making their SSNs as capable as possible no matter the cost, their next gen Subs will begin production by 2030 & will cost 5.5$ billion per sub! therefore China should also do the same, make the SSNs as capable as technological possible, China is not a poor country they can fund it & even if they don't have enough money (highly unlikely) then they should just reduce the rate of DDG production from the current 5-7 per year to just 2, assuming each DDG has a life span of 35 years they would end up with 70 DDGs, if that is what's needed to have more capable SSNs in much larger numbers then so be it.

historicaly ship vs ship battles are quite rare, when a ship is sunk it's done mostly either by a sub or an aircraft.
Actually, sub-vs-ship action is also extremely rare with only three instances of ships being sunk by submarines post WWII. Many anti-ship actions since the Cold War were indeed from air attacks but submarine attacks don't happen often.

It's why when you look at the US Navy, they place quite the emphasis on carriers and maritime air power since carrier-borne combat aircraft not only provide power projection but also extends the striking range of a fleet.

img-5eb0c279b45bdd4f9142c7dbb236a5d7.jpg

I was digging through SDF and found this post by Blitzo made last April. Could be huge if true.
From fzgfzy
https://www.weibo.com/5553794589/Hr4R1gFy2?type=comment

"久伍已经有了,如果运气好,明年应该有照片了吧。"

Claims that 09V is already "there" (not sure if he means launched or in advanced stages of construction). Says that next year if we're lucky we might get a picture of it (presumably by satellite).

Also, in the comment thread when someone asks when we can expect 09VI, fzgfzy says "这个应该慢一点" -- it should be slower (presumably relative to 09V).
However when someone else asks if he has hope to see it in 5 years, fzgfzy then says "那又不用五年" -- it also shouldn't need 5 years.
So presumably he is saying 09VI will emerge after 09V (as expected), but that it should emerge before 5 years from now.

===

Personally I'm a bit surprised if we will be able to see 09V next year, that is a year or two earlier than I would've personally predicted. I was under the impression production of the lead 09V would've only began in late 2017/early 2018 at the earliest, so if it's launched by 2020 that's rather speedy. All the moreso if they're using the new Bohai facility because it looks like that overall production facility was fully finished late last year/early this year.

09VI emergence period is quite reasonable though.

I was digging through SDF and found this post by Blitzo made last April. Could be huge if true.
Henri from SDF posted they just gave the design specs to suppliers and they are still doing testing. 9V is 3D low sail hybrid double hulled similar to that mysterious low sail sub I think thats a test model of it. They said having a low sail the hydrodynamic quieting advantage effect is similar to pumpjet over regular screw so imagine 9V having low sail, rimless pumpjet, permanent magnet electromagnet motor integrated electric propulsion, Large Aperture Bow (LAB) hull conforming sonar array list goes on and on, likely four more years, two to testing and then another two to manufacture

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom