What's new

China’s Submarine Fleet, Evolution & news

img-b11f965bc66ba54c95faf459a3184f42.jpg

The PLA Navy in 60 seconds: The Submarine Force
CGTN
Published on Apr 14, 2019

The Submarine Force was founded in 1954 and is one of the three main focuses of the navy, together with the Surface Force and the Naval Air Force. It consists of all submarines, both nuclear- and conventionally-powered, and its main responsibility is to strike major targets underwater, carry out antisubmarine warfare and scout in open water.

Last edited:
14:54, 19-Apr-2019
The Underwater Force
Updated 16:03, 19-Apr-2019
By Han Bin, Huang Xiaodong

"Don't ask me where I am, and even if you ask, I can't tell." This is from a well-known song of the Chinese submarine force. It sums up life on board: usually beneath the ocean's surface, away from prying eyes.

The submarine is one of the most lethal weapons in or on the sea. Due to its stealth nature, missions are seldom reported. And once on a mission, all signals stop under water and the crew "disappears". We were given exclusive access to one of China's conventional submarines and its crew at a military port on China's east coast.

Strength in silence

"Serving on a submarine is a risky job. But I think this risk can be controlled," said Zhao Haijun, a captain in the North China Sea Fleet.

Zhao graduated from the PLA Naval Submarine Academy 20 years ago. The veteran submariner has experienced challenging situations, and he constantly drills into his crew the need to remain on high alert when it comes to safety, and to know how to handle emergencies.

b3dec75ef0894f57ac25c48cde716df0.jpg
A bird-eye view of two 039B type submarine at a military port on China's east coast. /CGTN photo

The 039B type submarine he now captains is representative of some of the PLA Navy's current core strength. Its hydrodynamic design helps keep it invisible under water. It is equipped with air-independent propulsion technology, and advanced systems that help it dive deeper, and move faster and more quietly. Zhao also points out its high level of automation.

Nameless heroes

"We are the nameless heroes. We can't see, and there's no concept of day and night. The 24-hour clock tells us whether it's night or day," said Wang Xiaolong, a North China Sea Fleet sailor.

He showed me around the vessel. The 26-year-old has been serving on this 039B type vessel ever since it was commissioned six years ago. Wang said the cramped quarters are not the biggest challenge - it's living under water.

4c1f5b023f3448a69abb4c50cc686e9f.jpg
Captain Zhao Haijun and CGTN reporter Han Bin on the 039B type submarine. /CGTN Photo

After a late start in the 1960s, China prioritized submarine development in its military modernization. Today, the fleet includes both nuclear-powered and diesel-electric submarines. China may already have the largest number of submarines, though not the most advanced. But with the upgraded naval strategy, the PLA Navy's submarine force is on course to more distant waters.

14:54, 19-Apr-2019
The Underwater Force
Updated 16:03, 19-Apr-2019
By Han Bin, Huang Xiaodong

"Don't ask me where I am, and even if you ask, I can't tell." This is from a well-known song of the Chinese submarine force. It sums up life on board: usually beneath the ocean's surface, away from prying eyes.

The submarine is one of the most lethal weapons in or on the sea. Due to its stealth nature, missions are seldom reported. And once on a mission, all signals stop under water and the crew "disappears". We were given exclusive access to one of China's conventional submarines and its crew at a military port on China's east coast.

Strength in silence

"Serving on a submarine is a risky job. But I think this risk can be controlled," said Zhao Haijun, a captain in the North China Sea Fleet.

Zhao graduated from the PLA Naval Submarine Academy 20 years ago. The veteran submariner has experienced challenging situations, and he constantly drills into his crew the need to remain on high alert when it comes to safety, and to know how to handle emergencies.

b3dec75ef0894f57ac25c48cde716df0.jpg
A bird-eye view of two 039B type submarine at a military port on China's east coast. /CGTN photo

The 039B type submarine he now captains is representative of some of the PLA Navy's current core strength. Its hydrodynamic design helps keep it invisible under water. It is equipped with air-independent propulsion technology, and advanced systems that help it dive deeper, and move faster and more quietly. Zhao also points out its high level of automation.

Nameless heroes

"We are the nameless heroes. We can't see, and there's no concept of day and night. The 24-hour clock tells us whether it's night or day," said Wang Xiaolong, a North China Sea Fleet sailor.

He showed me around the vessel. The 26-year-old has been serving on this 039B type vessel ever since it was commissioned six years ago. Wang said the cramped quarters are not the biggest challenge - it's living under water.

4c1f5b023f3448a69abb4c50cc686e9f.jpg
Captain Zhao Haijun and CGTN reporter Han Bin on the 039B type submarine. /CGTN Photo

After a late start in the 1960s, China prioritized submarine development in its military modernization. Today, the fleet includes both nuclear-powered and diesel-electric submarines. China may already have the largest number of submarines, though not the most advanced. But with the upgraded naval strategy, the PLA Navy's submarine force is on course to more distant waters.

These AIPs are so quiet that even the US Navy can't detect them at close range.

From Rick Joe on 25 April:

[thread]
Fzgfzy makes some interesting statements regarding 09V SSN, suggesting we may see pictures of it next year (likely satellite) -- does he mean lead 09V has launched or soon to be launched?

Also, says 09VI SSBN will follow 09V, and it should be less than 5 years to see it.

Fzgfzy's statements about China's 09V SSN.jpeg

So, question is whether lead 09V is being built/assembled in the new Bohai facility that looks like it was only fully completed in the last year...? But the assembly halls looked finished back in mid 2017.

Or, is the lead 09V being built at Bohai's old facility?
@HenriKenhmann

Bohai's old submarine facility - sat-pic.jpeg

Type 039 series SSK

The designation of latest Chinese SSK can be confusing sometimes, what is type 039, 039G, 039A, 039B and even 039C (which I believe it not built or in service yet).

To my understanding, there is only one type 039 which is #320 with stepped sail. NATO code Song class. Subsequent improved Song class with straight sails are designated as type 039G. "G" indicate it is a modified upgrade variant of type 039.

Yuan class seen to have two variants. The first one is designated as type 039A. Many netizens like to call this type 039B may be because they thought the Song class should be designated as type 039A.

And the second variant, an improved Yuan class surfaced few years ago. If the original Yuan is designated as type 039A, the improved version should be designated as "039AG", though everybody called it type 039B which seen to be official now that during the 70th PLAN parade in Qingdao it is called type 039B.

2.jpg

039G
3cMxvW7.jpg

039A
0Q3Pg.jpg

039B
34780_346477_615162.jpg

Last edited:
Type 039 series SSK

The designation of latest Chinese SSK can be confusing sometimes, what is type 039, 039G, 039A, 039B and even 039C (which I believe it not built or in service yet).

To my understanding, there is only one type 039 which is #320 with stepped sail. NATO code Song class. Subsequent improved Song class with straight sails are designated as type 039G. "G" indicate it is a modified upgrade variant of type 039.

Yuan class seen to have two variants. The first one is designated as type 039A. Many netizens like to call this type 039B may be because they thought the Song class should be designated as type 039A.

And the second variant, an improved Yuan class surfaced few years ago. If the original Yuan is designated as type 039A, the improved version should be designated as "039AG", though everybody called it type 039B which seen to be official now that during the 70th PLAN parade in Qingdao it is called type 039B.

View attachment 558069

039G
View attachment 558070

039A
View attachment 558071

039B
View attachment 558072
So we are talking here about two 039 variants with each having their own improved version.
But in terms of size (dimensions) they are all the same and the improvements are with the internal systems.

Back
Top Bottom