What's new

China’s Submarine Fleet, Evolution & news

Nope. If you are to claim that this is 093B, then how do you identify 093 and 093A?

The Type 093 is 407, while the Type 093A is 408. These variants show very little difference as they were merely experimental.

The Type 093B is entering into the mass production stage, and so far 6 boats will be deployed in total by the end of 2016.

The Type 093 is 407, while the Type 093A is 408.

Where did you get this thought?

The Type 093B is entering into the mass production stage, and so far 6 boats will be deployed in total by the end of 2016.

That seems impossible as it takes more than three years for an SSN to finish outfitting and undergo sea trail in China.

Last edited:
Where did you get this thought?

Those SSNs with little hump is the Type 09IIIB according to POP3, also confirmed by China's media.

Either the Type 09III and Type 09IIIA is 407 and 408 respectively, or simply the Type 09IIIA has been skipped, just like the Type 052A was skipped as well from the Type 052 to the Type 052B directly.

The new SSN with little hump is the Type 09IIIB, so stop arguing over an established fact.

68756033_4.jpg

That seems impossible as it takes more than three years for a SSN to finish outfitting and undergo sea trail in China.

The Type 09IIIB already got 4 boats being deployed prior to 2016, so I am not surprised if they add 2 more in this year, just they add 2 Type 052D in every year.

Those SSNs with little hump is the Type 09IIIB according to POP3, also confirmed by China's media.

Either the Type 09III and Type 09IIIA is 407 and 408 respectively, or simply the Type 09IIIA has been skipped, just like the Type 052A was skipped as well from the Type 052 to the Type 052B directly.

The new SSN with little hump is the Type 09IIIB, so stop arguing over an established fact.

View attachment 312449

The Type 09IIIB already got 4 boats being deployed prior to 2016, so I am not surprised if they add 2 more in this year, just they add 2 Type 052D in every year.
That is right, 408 is 093A
1.jpg

3.jpg

This satellite photo last year showed the new sub on the left was wider than the 093 docked next to it

2.jpeg

This new sub (093B) also has new device for communications under water

That is right, 408 is 093A
View attachment 312456

View attachment 312457
This satellite photo last year showed the new sub on the left was wider than the 093 docked next to it

View attachment 312458
This new sub (093B) also has new device for communications under water

So by the end of this year, basically China will have:

Type 091G - 3
Type 092G - 1

Type 093 - 1
Type 093A - 1
Type 093B - 6

Type 094 - 2
Type 094A - 2
Type 094B - 2

Type 095 - ???
Type 096 - ???

There are rumours that 2 093C(or 095) are undergoing if not already complete. They can carry df21d and 26.

I always got the feeling that the Type 095 is going to play the role of the Seawolf class for the PLAN. Also based on several analysis reports made by the US, the Type 095 was mentioned to be a heavy class SSN that's closer to a SSGN.

And the Type 093B is already superior to the 688i, perhaps quite close to the earliest blocks of the Virginia class, so with its good performance and cheaper price, maybe China is going to mass produce more upgraded variants in the near future.

I always got the feeling that the Type 095 is going to play the role of the Seawolf class for the PLAN. Also based on several analysis reports made by the US, the Type 095 was mentioned to be a heavy class SSN that's closer to a SSGN.

And the Type 093B is already superior to the 688i, perhaps quite close to the earliest blocks of the Virginia class, so with its good performance and cheaper price, maybe China is going to mass produce more upgraded variants in the near future.
Remember a couple of years ago the vice governor of Liaoning Province said China has started built 4th generation of nuclear sub in an interview. Many argued maybe it was a slip of the tongue. Now in hindsight I believe he meant 095. There is news that China has finally been able to build 10m beam for single hull nuclear sub, the same in size as the Los Angeles class, as apposed to the 093's 8m beam with double hull. So only 095 can be called 4th generation.

5.jpg
6.jpg

Maybe the mixture of single and double, single both design got their respective advantage; single hull is better to store more weapons, while the double got thicker hide to reduce more noise from the reactor.

Yasen also uses the mixture design.

Sorry but I can't see any "established fact". I think everyone like me follows those stuff via forum / weibo / official articles, and till now there is no any common agreement on the number of 09III / 09IIIA or 09IIIB.

I've quoted since years everything said by pop3, for example these 2, nothing confirm the production schedule as you said or the fact that it is 09IIIB in the photo published yesterday :

gRtu7eT.jpg

gQ03juI.jpg

So stop forcing people to believe something not officially confirmed yet.

Henri K.

I don't believe in any individual since we are talking about highly classified military equipment. It should be noted that pop3 has records of making fun of the little birds inquire about information from him.:-)

“这些年来,中国海军在舰载武器上所取得的进步有目共睹,……红旗-16B型和海红旗-9B型舰空导弹、……极大提高了中国海军的攻防作战能力。”——pop3, 24/2/2016

“红旗16B不是舰载型号,我以前故意埋的炸弹。”——pop3, 11/6/2016

pop3's comment about that photo:

"09IIIB按正常时序判断的话,现在露面属合理范围,但我不对网上图片下判定,别人如何判定是他自己的事情。"——pop3

Though according to my knowledge, 093A is a real model, no official media has ever confirmed the existence of 093A yet, not to mention 093B.

First type 093A was launched in 2013, first spotted in its base in 2015, and is expected to commission this year.

“2月中旬,海军某潜艇基地35艇员队……去年以来,该艇员队开展新装备接装培训。”——《海军某潜艇基地35艇员队拓展群众性练兵方式

The one on the right is a type 091.

There are rumours that 2 093C(or 095) are undergoing if not already complete. They can carry df21d and 26.

There is no chance for an SSN to equip ballistic missiles.

Last edited:
I share the same view from @星海军事, the official article talking about "Team n°35" is for me the only credible information telling us that a new variant of Type 09III has been inducted. Though nothing more.

So far as long as I read, the Type 09IIIB reference do exist, and nothing confirming the reference of "Type 09IIIA".

The production lifecycle of a SSN is long, "6 will be inducted this year" is a joke for me, and I will still say the same thing if this is for the United States.

Henri K.

I don't believe in any individual since we are talking about highly classified military equipment. It should be noted that pop3 has records of making fun of the little birds inquire about information from him.:-)

But if Liaoning province vice governor was quoted of saying that the development of China's forth generation nuclear sub was completed, then there is reason to believe the next new sub we see will be China's 4th generation nuclear sub(maybe 095). If it uses 10m pressure haul, with hump or mixture of single&double haul design, it will fit in DF21(10.7 m in length).

Mr. Tan Zuojun was the general manager and deputy party secretary of the China State Shipbuilding Corporation before taking the current post of vice governor. Don't forget Dalian shipyard and Buohai shipyard ( 葫芦岛造船厂) are all in his province and under CSSC.

So like the news suggested, if 091(year 1974) is the first generation, 093(year 2009) is the second, and 093B (the wider hall with hump we saw now)is the third, then the next new sub we see will be China's 4th generation nuclear sub.

http://news.sohu.com/20130819/n384455838.shtml
南都讯 记者彭美 特约撰稿李小健 据新华网报道,正在召开的2013年东北四省区合作行政首长联席会议上,辽宁省副省长谭作钧透露,第四代核潜艇、航空母舰、新一代歼击机等高新武器装备已在东北研制完成。

谭作钧此前担任中国船舶工业集团公司总经理、党组副书记。去年8月调任辽宁省副省长。我国第一艘航空母舰“辽宁舰”即由中国船舶重工集团公司旗下的大连造船厂完成改装,并在去年9月25日正式交付军方。

核动力潜艇自诞生以来,由于其具备航行速度高、自给力大、攻击力强、续航时间长、能在水下长时间隐蔽活动等优点,一直是世界各个大国、强国竞相发展的武器装备之一。目前全世界公开宣称拥有核潜艇的国家有6个,分别为:美国、俄罗斯、中国、英国、法国、印度。

根据官方公开报道,1974年8月1日建军节当天,中央军委正式发布命令,我国第一艘鱼雷攻击核潜艇长征1号正式入役,第一代核潜艇的研制工作获得成功。

2009年,在中国海军60周年大阅兵中,第二代核潜艇正式亮相。

So like the news suggested, if 091(year 1974) is the first generation, 093(year 2009) is the second, and 093B (the wider hall with hump we saw now)is the third, then the next new sub we see will be China's 4th generation nuclear sub

The third generation may refer to type 093:

124311j4p11gj4m5qypyr6.jpg

100908165680b2e4be60ae088f.gif

2009年,在中国海军60周年大阅兵中,第二代核潜艇正式亮相。

This source is not official.

Last edited:
"09IIIB按正常时序判断的话,现在露面属合理范围,但我不对网上图片下判定,别人如何判定是他自己的事情。"——pop3

Read his comment carefully, he said it is plausible for the Type 09IIIB to show up right now, but he just doesn't want to comment further, and other people's opinions are none of his business.

Because the nuclear submarine is the classified information just like the nuclear weapons, he has to fulfill his commitment to keep it in secret.

So like the news suggested, if 091(year 1974) is the first generation, 093(year 2009) is the second, and 093B (the wider hall with hump we saw now)is the third, then the next new sub we see will be China's 4th generation nuclear sub.

The first Type 093 was started in construction by 1998, and being deployed by 2006.

Back
Top Bottom