What's new

China’s soft power push gains ground as entertainment exports surge

Corona Virus effected each and everyone around the world. It has changed the life for so many people.
Now every damn guy around world know what chinese eats and their culture etc.

Martial arts (+movies based on it) and food/cuisine has always been their biggest cultural export to India. Food more so, India have almost taken "Chinese" food and put its own twists and turns on it that "Indian Chinese" is almost it's own cuisine.. I ate a chilli chicken and chowmein just the other day. :P

Seriously tho, entertainment industry in China is a mess. Too many idol actors/actresses with diehard fans but can't act. And anytime some show unexpectedly becomes popular the censorship beau bans the crap out of it.

Another good movie from China. :tup:

Good acting, lots of action, action shero, computer graphics is also very good.

:tup::tup::tup:

Last edited:
In another words, the music industry is small.
I can't say I agree of in-house circulation when BTS despite all the efforts of singing, going abroad, still get upstaged by video games' revenues or in fact some anime's revenues like Pokemon or Dragon Balls.
The people who enjoy kdramas too, they pay a subscription to Netflix while Netflix itself is losing money hard.

As I have said, the effect of Korean culture is more hype than substance.

And I'm sorry but asian have had a presence in Hollywood since the days of Bruce Lee and the 7 Samurai.
Not really small,North korea would kill for a bts who's yearly revenue creation is equal to North Korea's yearly export of 4/5 billion approx.

Why are we comparing gaming and music industry though,these are different streams and it's desirable for a nation to do well in both, Korean gaming export is 7-8 k billion USD yearly, and for China is 17 billion USD ,Korea is doing pretty well in that regard too.
The Korean entertainment industry seems to ride high from the momentum they get from Hallyu.

Bts alone make 4 billion USD for Korea each year there are a dozen of popular kpop group from blackpink to bigbang making shitloads for Korea from their foreign audience. Korea have a plethora of acts touring the globe incessantly collecting easy foreign money by dancing and singing .

One of Blackpink's concert ticket in LA concert cost more than iPhone 14 pro max,yet it's soldout.The easy profit they make is insane.The blackpink or bts members can make millions from global fashion brands by simply posting on their 50million + followers sns accounts. And the impact of bts or Hallyu isn't restricted in music,they cause ripple effects in all Korean industries,from fashion to cosmetics to food and beverages. Anything in hit kpop or drama becomes a global craze .It's easy for koreans to grow global brands and make shit load of revenue using hallyu appeal.Koreans also dominate webtoon industry,world's biggest webtoon service is from Korea,while bilibili comics & we comics ends up only competing against each other and don't court the biggest of talents and proven artist.

I sure do have fond memory of a Bruce Lee,and he's very much respected almost as a philosopher, I'm not challenging his stardom and legacy,but he also contributed to some stereotype in ignoramus western based movie platforms that made him the superstar that he is.But for Asians from pacific east, nothing improved the appeal and soft-power than Hallyu, before Hallyu based on Hollywood ,Asian men was an unattractive geek of class or kungfu crackhead, with some oriental life philosophy.
The cool image wasn't there, you never expect foreigners to flock to Hk or china in search of love due to Bruce Lee

The Caucasians are a race carrying inherent ignoramus trait . They naturally lack humility, restraint, and ability to decipher foreign cultures and don't seek the inherent goodness among humans, their world view is based on their own primitive instinct,to conquer or be subjugated; "we are inherently superior!!" simply based on the infantile logic "We/I/Our The Best"; they need delible visual and physical stimulus to construe anything foreign,and only Hallyu managed to put something in their ignoramus heads.
China is also learning ,they are using the pointer from hallyu to refine its own soft-power capabilities.

China-Wuxia (martial arts tale).

Here in Indonesia, there are so many wuxia fans. They even created FB group with 39K members.

View attachment 879479

1663307852670.png

Chinese wuxia /gaming drama is pretty popular has great potential.

They have the base audience not just in China but globally, they just need to the take it to the next lvl with some breakthrough works and massive quality control. The inability of China to breakthrough the standard set by Korean dramas reminds me of the semiconductor issue for china. Maybe Korean culture is more complementary to modern life tvdrama .

Last edited:
Chinese movie is shallow.

The story is written poorly and executed poorly as well.

The actor is unrealistic.

The animation is cheap.

Everything is wrong.

That's why I never watch Chinese movies.
Except some idol actors/actresses, most Chinese ators/actresses have very good acting skill.

Not really small,North korea would kill for a bts who's yearly revenue creation is equal to North Korea's yearly export of 4/5 billion approx.

Why are we comparing gaming and music industry though,these are different streams and it's desirable for a nation to do well in both, Korean gaming export is 7-8 k billion USD yearly, and for China is 17 billion USD ,Korea is doing pretty well in that regard too.
The Korean entertainment industry seems to ride high from the momentum they get from Hallyu.

Bts alone make 4 billion USD for Korea each year there are a dozen of popular kpop group from blackpink to bigbang making shitloads for Korea from their foreign audience. Korea have a plethora of acts touring the globe incessantly collecting easy foreign money by dancing and singing .

One of Blackpink's concert ticket in LA concert cost more than iPhone 14 pro max,yet it's soldout.The easy profit they make is insane.The blackpink or bts members can make millions from global fashion brands by simply posting on their 50million + followers sns accounts. And the impact of bts or Hallyu isn't restricted in music,they cause ripple effects in all Korean industries,from fashion to cosmetics to food and beverages. Anything in hit kpop or drama becomes a global craze .It's easy for koreans to grow global brands and make shit load of revenue using hallyu appeal.Koreans also dominate webtoon industry,world's biggest webtoon service is from Korea,while bilibili comics & we comics ends up only competing against each other and don't court the biggest of talents and proven artist.

I sure do have fond memory of a Bruce Lee,and he's very much respected almost as a philosopher, I'm not challenging his stardom and legacy,but he also contributed to some stereotype in ignoramus western based movie platforms that made him the superstar that he is.But for Asians from pacific east, nothing improved the appeal and soft-power than Hallyu, before Hallyu based on Hollywood ,Asian men was an unattractive geek of class or kungfu crackhead, with some oriental life philosophy.
The cool image wasn't there, you never expect foreigners to flock to Hk or china in search of love due to Bruce Lee

The Caucasians are a race carrying inherent ignoramus trait . They naturally lack humility, restraint, and ability to decipher foreign cultures and don't seek the inherent goodness among humans, their world view is based on their own primitive instinct,to conquer or be subjugated; "we are inherently superior!!" simply based on the infantile logic "We/I/Our The Best"; they need delible visual and physical stimulus to construe anything foreign,and only Hallyu managed to put something in their ignoramus heads.
China is also learning ,they are using the pointer from hallyu to refine its own soft-power capabilities.

View attachment 879529

Chinese wuxia /gaming drama is pretty popular has great potential.

They have the base audience not just in China but globally, they just need to the take it to the next lvl with some breakthrough works and massive quality control. The inability of China to breakthrough the standard set by Korean dramas reminds me of the semiconductor issue for china. Maybe Korean culture is more complementary to modern life tvdrama .
LOL you kid but KJU from North Korea detests k-pop and classes it as degenerate acts that should be banned.

And are you really sure that the korean somehow make asians more attractive, despite the all the news about women going to S. Korea to search for husband, the Koreans have by far the worst birthrate among East Asian nation.

Meanwhile, again, as pointed out, Korean pop culture has never gained as much revenues as japanese ACG culture nor chinese games. It's all hype, I feel bad for these people who have constantly to take flights and sing and dance, and their contents get outsold by a bunch of nerds making games, haha.

EDIT: Also, currently this anime is making waves on the net:
It's a prequel to a video game, Cyberpunk 2077, by Studio TRIGGER. This shows the fluid connection between Animation - Games - Comic, even in case where the OG games aren't made in Japan.

EDIT 2: Now even Genshin Impact is branching to anime, Ufotable will animate!
More China-Japan collaboration, nice!

Last edited:
LOL you kid but KJU from North Korea detests k-pop and classes it as degenerate acts that should be banned.

And are you really sure that the korean somehow make asians more attractive, despite the all the news about women going to S. Korea to search for husband, the Koreans have by far the worst birthrate among East Asian nation.

Meanwhile, again, as pointed out, Korean pop culture has never gained as much revenues as japanese ACG culture nor chinese games. It's all hype, I feel bad for these people who have constantly to take flights and sing and dance, and their contents get outsold by a bunch of nerds making games, haha.

EDIT: Also, currently this anime is making waves on the net:
It's a prequel to a video game, Cyberpunk 2077, by Studio TRIGGER. This shows the fluid connection between Animation - Games - Comic, even in case where the OG games aren't made in Japan.

EDIT 2: Now even Genshin Impact is branching to anime, Ufotable will animate!
More China-Japan collaboration, nice!

African and indians breeds like rats what has that gotta do ?

Meanwhile, again, as pointed out, Korean pop culture has never gained as much revenues as japanese ACG culture nor chinese games.
First of all everything is not money ,many big directors do vanity projects for accolades . Games and anime are mainly for geeks ,they don't make real life people look better in physical form.Movies dramas which effect more real life ,has been traditionally dominated by hollywood.

So what if anime or games makes a bit more than Korean pop culture( actually Korean pop culture surpassed anime in overseas export revenue by 2021.) ,anime and stuff like kdrama/kpop are totally separate areas,Korea can monopolize revenue from tvdrama viewers while Japan anime in anime sector, if they got a chokehold.Different market .While korea/japan is also taking a big piece of gaming market,even one of the most popular game globally,pubg is korean,even though tencent licensed mobile version for export in regions of the world.Japan dominates with ps5,nitendo switch games. It's not good that China don't have absolute monopoly in any sector like Korea in pop music,tv drama,japan in anime/manga,hand held consoles.

To be fair ,China is also starting to take some chunks of drama viewers from kdrama,but much needed to be done for big competition.China also doing well in mobile games ,but have strong competition,not untouchable like Korea is in drama/kpop and japan in anime/manga.

Last edited:
African and indians breeds like rats what has that gotta do ?

First of all everything is not money ,many big directors do vanity projects for accolades . Games and anime are mainly for geeks ,they don't make real life people look better in physical form.Movies dramas which effect more real life ,has been traditionally dominated by hollywood.

So what if anime or games makes a bit more than Korean pop culture( actually Korean pop culture surpassed anime in overseas export revenue by 2021.) ,anime and stuff like kdrama/kpop are totally separate areas,Korean can monopolize revenue from tvdrama viewers while anime in anime sector, if they got a chokehold .Different market .While korea/japan is also taking a big piece of gaming market,even one of the most popular game globally,pubg is korean,even though tencent licensed mobile version for export in regions of the world.Japan dominates with ps5,nitendo switch games. It's not good that China don't have absolute monopoly in any sector like Korea in pop music,tv drama,japan in anime/manga,hand held consoles.

To be fair ,China is also starting to take some chunks of drama viewers from kdrama,but much needed to be done for big competition.China also doing well in mobile games ,but have strong competition,not untouchable like Korea is in drama/kpop and japan in anime/manga.
There must be a balance.

S. Korea has a double whammy of elder population, low birthrate AND low population (only higher than N. Korea and Mongolia), if it doesn't improve, it's gonna get old before it gets truly rich. I just argue that your point about "koreans improving the face of asian" is debatable since it doesn't translate into higher birthrate.

And is there an actual source of Korean pop culture surpassing anime in overas export revenue btw? I find that hard to believe.
The global anime market size was valued at USD 24.80 billion in 2021 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.7% over the forecast period.
Meanwhile, the K-pop industry export revenues is less than 1 billion USD in 2019 (I doubt that will jump to over 25 billion in 2021):

As said, Korean has a lot of hype and marketing, but it is China and Japan that rack in the cash.

Tik Tok is a social media platform, every country it's different.
I'm against it because it lowers attention span, short video formats create ADHD kids.

Uh, chinese/asian men can grow beard and body hair, what are you talking about?
Look at Guan Yu'sdepiction.
View attachment 879261
Now imagine if he's shaved clean, that's Korean pop culture.

Funny how you got at men without hair on Kpop culture. It is rather young girls swinging their boobs and butts. The bottom line is 'sex' in perfectly scultured bodies. They are unnatural, of course. That's why plastic surgery in Korea is the top in the world. I agree with you Asian men can grow hair too. LOL, but very few hairy chests.

Still far from being on Hallyu tier.To be fair, Hallyu is a wall .

JApan - Anime ,Manga.
Korea-kpop,Kdrama.
China- Games?

Korea can't compete with Japan in Anime & Manga.
Japan can't compete with Kpop & Kdrama

Both have their own strength and weakness.
What is for China ?

China's massive movie industry has potential for global impact,but quality control in China has fallen far below global hallyu,producers only want some pretty face that caters to fandom,not Pretty face + talent like korean stars, the quality control of script and production is nowhere near Korean standard.It's about profit and mass production for the greedy Chinese producers . Chinese screenwriters and directors in most mainstream projects are amateurs compared to their much more capable and well-vetted Korean counterparts.
Same thing with animation, Chinese animation itself is top tier but the script and direction are nowhere near Japanese standard of consistency and quality overall.

The place where China improved close to the lvl of Korean standard is variety shows,but idk if they learned from the Korean directors that were hired or if it's Korean directors that are still directing all the good shows. But without hallyu-like clout, not many notices it.
Well Korea and Japan are major soft power exporter , only behind the imperial softpower of Hollywood, they thrive without whole of western media engaged in smears against them.China has much higher hurdle to cross yet the reward would also be that much sweeter.
There are a lot of Manhwa (Korean's Comic) with Chinese Wuxia genre. It is not only a tales about Chinese's Murim (Jianghu / Wulin), but also has the setting of ancient China with Jin Yong model of Wulin setting. Compared to Japanese mangas, these wuxia genre comics are the best.

I won't questioning why it is Koreans and not Chinese who write these gems. But to state that Wuxia cultures are really amazing to an extend that even Koreans are loving it, to an extend that they're also making Wuxia comics with the setting of China.

I also have to mention that it is not only Koreans who love Wuxia genre. But there are people who love Cultivation PC games to an extend that they want also develop a game like that.

This situations should be encourage. Because it means that Chinese cultures has start to be accepted people from another countries. But of course, Chinese Artists should be encourage to make better games and literatures like Novels and Comics, so those genre will always stay as Chinese.

Last edited:
There must be a balance.

S. Korea has a double whammy of elder population, low birthrate AND low population (only higher than N. Korea and Mongolia), if it doesn't improve, it's gonna get old before it gets truly rich. I just argue that your point about "koreans improving the face of asian" is debatable since it doesn't translate into higher birthrate.

And is there an actual source of Korean pop culture surpassing anime in overas export revenue btw? I find that hard to believe.

Meanwhile, the K-pop industry export revenues is less than 1 billion USD in 2019 (I doubt that will jump to over 25 billion in 2021):

As said, Korean has a lot of hype and marketing, but it is China and Japan that rack in the cash.

I just argue that your point about "koreans improving the face of asian" is debatable since it doesn't translate into higher birthrate.
what kind of logic is this? birth rate based on Korean societal issues has no relation of hallyu improving asian image overseas ,which was hell under western hegemony of entertainment and media.

bts alone generate more than 4 billion yearly overall.

Global anime market is combining share of local revenue, but export is 1o billion USD in 2021.
Kpop export was 12billion USD in 2021.

Chinese TV plays have their own style.

<长安十二时辰> is one of the representative works of recent Chinese style TV dramas.

Look at this. It will overturn your traditional impression of Chinese TV dramas:

Funny how you got at men without hair on Kpop culture. It is rather young girls swinging their boobs and butts. The bottom line is 'sex' in perfectly scultured bodies. They are unnatural, of course. That's why plastic surgery in Korea is the top in the world. I agree with you Asian men can grow hair too. LOL, but very few hairy chests.
To be fair, the women's butt swinging is Korean ripping off the american.
what kind of logic is this? birth rate based on Korean societal issues has no relation of hallyu improving asian image overseas ,which was hell under western hegemony of entertainment and media.

bts alone generate more than 4 billion yearly overall.

Global anime market is combining share of local revenue, but export is 1o billion USD in 2021.
Kpop export was 12billion USD in 2021.
The logic is simple: the press says that more foreign women come to Korea to f*ck korean men, this means there should more be marriage/family and birthrate in S. Korea. Unfortunately, this isn't true, so unless the foreign women just use korean men as 1-night stand, I have doubt about the previous claim. And no, China and Japan have taken western hegemony of entertainment since at least the 60s with HK movies and samurai movies, and then 80s with japanese anime and chinese movies onward.

Also, I'd like source on either statement, please. I have provided mine, and I doubt that korean music can increase from less 1 billion USD to 12 billion USD in 3 years.

There are a lot of Manhwa (Korean's Comic) with Chinese Wuxia genre. It is not only a tales about Chinese's Murim (Jianghu / Wulin), but also has the setting of ancient China with Jin Yong model of Wulin setting. Compared to Japanese mangas, these wuxia genre comics are the best.

I won't questioning why it is Koreans and not Chinese who write these gems. But to state that Wuxia cultures are really amazing to an extend that even Koreans are loving it, to an extend that they're also making Wuxia comics with the setting of China.

I also have to mention that it is not only Koreans who love Wuxia genre. But there are people who love Cultivation PC games to an extend that they want also develop a game like that.

This situations should be encourage. Because it means that Chinese cultures has start to be accepted people from another countries. But of course, Chinese Artists should be encourage to make better games and literatures like Novels and Comics, so those genre will always stay as Chinese.
Is this true? Maybe you mistake the korean with chinese comics, most Wuxia comics I read on Mangadex are either drawn by taiwanese/hongkonger or chinese, not korean.
The Cultivation PC game is also made by a chinese team too.

Back
Top Bottom