What's new

China’s soft power push gains ground as entertainment exports surge

Chinese games are getting popular but, I feel that many people mistake them for being Japanese. Just look at this video lmao. Ukrainian lady hugs a poster of a Chinese game 'Genshin Impact' since she is a fan.
This on a TV segment showing them appreciating 'Japanese Culture'

IMG_0136.JPG

Last year, my kids see this movie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220915_211618.jpg
    Screenshot_20220915_211618.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 36
My friend play this game Romance of3 kingdoms from Tencent at age 40 years old, during weekday. He Made enough fortune to not working. He found out that his opponent is the super rich CEO of Thailand public company. The CEO paid almost 30,000USD to buy game items just to Win.
That's not gaming anymore, is it?
That's gambling :(

Chinese games are getting popular but, I feel that many people mistake them for being Japanese. Just look at this video lmao. Ukrainian lady hugs a poster of a Chinese game 'Genshin Impact' since she is a fan.
This on a TV segment showing them appreciating 'Japanese Culture'

Chinese and Japanese only look alike or get confused because we're East Asians who use Chinese characters. Internally we are quite different in how we think. Just like how Germany deep down is very different from US in terms of thinking despite being whites who use Latin characters.

I dont know what this big deal about kpop or anime is.

I have never seen anyone here in my circle even mentioning it.

I have actually seen some chinese films on netflix- one about space something. And i liked them.

Korean movies are good too - the one or two i have seen . One is tiger something.

but kpop ? no idea.

I dont know what this big deal about kpop or anime is.

I have never seen anyone here in my circle even mentioning it.

I have actually seen some chinese films on netflix- one about space something. And i liked them.

Korean movies are good too - the one or two i have seen . One is tiger something.

but kpop ? no idea.
I know some older anime from like 10 years ago but never got into kdrama. And Kpop is actually kind of cringe the more you know the lyrics. It sounds better when you don't understand Korean and just treat it as some kind of mystical religious music.

The only company that gives me hope is mihoyo. I felt Genshin did a good job showcasing Chinese culture.

Chinese movie is shallow.

The story is written poorly and executed poorly as well.

The actor is unrealistic.

The animation is cheap.

Everything is wrong.

That's why I never watch Chinese movies.

Still far from being on Hallyu tier.To be fair, Hallyu is a wall .

JApan - Anime ,Manga.
Korea-kpop,Kdrama.
China- Games?

Korea can't compete with Japan in Anime & Manga.
Japan can't compete with Kpop & Kdrama

Both have their own strength and weakness.
What is for China ?

China-Wuxia (martial arts tale).

Here in Indonesia, there are so many wuxia fans. They even created FB group with 39K members.

IMG_20220916_081244.jpg

But for most people outside of China they use the international version of TikTok instead, which ironically is dominated by American content creators and basically close to zero Chinese content creators.
Because of self-imposed isolation to separate the domestic and international version , a Chinese social media platform is now helping to spread American soft power around the world lol.

LOL!!

Original Japanese version of SpeedRacer
This put Japan on the map for cultural animation.

For a young kid this was like the greatest show ever!

The various media we consume as children often help shape who we become in adulthood, and many of us owe a debt to Speed Racer for exposing us to cars and racing at an early age. Every afternoon we'd come home to an hourlong block of Speed Racer reruns, and to this day we know the lyrics to the theme song by heart. Sure, the dubbing was awkward, the dialog often super-cheesy, and the animation cruder than we remember, but hearing those blaring horns as the Mach 5 revs its engine at the start of the show still brings a smile to our faces.

Ah the fond memories I had as a kid!

Last edited:
Chinese movie is shallow.

The story is written poorly and executed poorly as well.

The actor is unrealistic.

The animation is cheap.

Everything is wrong.

That's why I never watch Chinese movies.
Nobody asks you to watch, watch hollywood or bollywood BS movies instead then if they suit your taste.

Back
Top Bottom