What's new

China's poorest province: Guizhou is on the rapid rise

Guizhou is not the poorest Chinese province ... that distinction would have to go to Tibet or Xinjiang.

Guizhou is not the poorest Chinese province ... that distinction would have to go to Tibet or Xinjiang.
No, not the per capita level.
Guizhou has the highest poverty rate of all provinces.
The majority of counties in Guizhou are listed as national-level poverty county.

Last edited:
No, not the per capita level.
Guizhou has the highest poverty rate of all provinces.
The majority of counties in Guizhou are listed as national-level poverty county.
Oh wow you're right. I didn't even realize it was that poor. Sad.

Urbanisation of Guizhou is extremely low.
Need another 2-3 decades.
Investment is being diverted to Guizhou.

Kaili City, Guizhou's Miao minority-dominated city

Provincial capital

屏幕快照 2017-08-24 20.09.23.png

HSR station in Congjiang County
贵州从江高铁站  高铁开进苗乡来。.jpg
a70ee3eacc924c0e82b805ce38ea52e7.jpg

Last edited:
Never been there, used to feel sorry for people living there, now I am jealous of their beauty.

From your pics, it doesn't look that bad ... reminds me of Thailand
Comparable to other Chinese provinces, it is bad.
Like my province in 1990s.

Never been there, used to feel sorry for people living there, now I am jealous of their beauty.
When transport corridors to nearby provinces are finished, its drawbacks are actually its competitiveness.

Number of tourists 41.2% increase
Tourist revenue 43.1% increase, reaching 502.7 billion yuan
2016年,全年贵州省共接待游客5.31亿人次,旅游总收入达5027.54亿元,同比分别增长41.2%、43.1%,实现“井喷式”增长。入境游客首次突破100万人次,达到110万人次,入黔游客达到2.49亿人次、同比增长50.2%,游客平均消费增长到946元,旅游业呈现高位运行、总量扩张、结构优化、提质增效的良好态势,十三五旅游发展实现开门红。

Duyun, capital of Guizhou's Qiannan Autonomous Prefecture

Zunyi County

Last edited:
World's longest dragon boat sails in Guizhou
( chinadaily.com.cn )

Updated: 2017-09-01

Shibing county in Guizhou province held a cruise for more than 150 boats on Aug 28, showcasing the world's longest dragon boat during the event.

The boat was piloted by 168 women of Miao ethnic group, paddling the 77.8-meter-long and 2.5-meter-wide vessel down the Wuyang River.

286ed488c8251b1225f40e.jpg

One hundred and sixty-eight Miao women pilot the world's longest dragon boat. [Photo/Chinanews.com]

In 2016, the dragon boat was declared as a Guinness World Record holder for the longest dragon boat in the world.

More than 150 dragon boats, fishing vessels and bamboo rafts floated down the Wuyang River at the event, with more than 20 thousands visitors gathering for the grand occasion.

286ed488c8251b1226280f.jpg

The world's longest dragon boat cruises down the Wuyang River in Shibing county, Guizhou province, on Aug 28. [Photo/Chinanews.com]

Number of tourists 41.2% increase
Tourist revenue 43.1% increase, reaching 502.7 billion yuan
that's a clear proof that the improved infrastructure (both expressways and high-speed rail) is bringing immediate benefits!! Wonderful!!

sometimes automobile penetration is a better indicator to showcase the development status of a certain region or country.

For example Guizhou, its automobile penetration by end of 2016 (# of vehicles every 1,000 population) is 99. The auto penetrations of some Asian countries for comparison:
- Malaysia: 409
- Thailand: 245
- Indonesia: 95
- Philippines: 48
- India: 32
- Vietnam: 18

China Footprint: Backwater Guizhou becomes big data hub
CGTN
Published on Sep 11, 2017

During China's economic transition, one of the poorest provinces in the southwest of the country has chosen big data as a high starting point to catch up with the economic band wagon. Guizhou Province sees how big data is transforming its backward development mode and changing people's lives, even in its smallest towns and villages.

The poorest province has many amazing natural beauties to offer for the tourism industry. Nice weather, marvelous greenish mountainous scenery. The diversity in cultural heritage and food, i hope to see more infra projects kicking off in that region.

Back
Top Bottom