What's new

China's negative news from official media and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese lacking scientific literacy - People's Daily Online November 02, 2010

Only 3.27 percent of Chinese people have basic scientific literacy, which signifies a failure to keep pace with developed countries, according to a report by the China Association for Science and Technology.

Han Qide, president of the association, released the findings of the report at the group's 12th annual meeting. It was the eighth survey that China has conducted on the subject since 1992.

Scientific literacy is the understanding and knowledge of scientific concepts and processes, an ability that is needed to make personal decisions, participate in civic and cultural affairs and be economically productive.

Han said Chinese scientists should work toward improving public understanding of their fields of expertise.

According to Han, scientists generate approximately 13.3 percent of news in the media, while they contribute 3.5 percent to government outlets and 3.2 percent to online forums.

However, during the melamine-tainted milk powder scandal of 2008, which killed at least six infants and sickened some 300,000 Chinese children, no scientists participated in online public forums about the incident.

"When the public needed scientists, they were silent," Han said. "It's a dangerous situation."

The lack of scientific literacy hampers China's development and poses a threat to social stability, Han said.

Some 14.2 percent of miners lack knowledge about poisonous gas, a major occupational hazard, and 12.5 percent of them are unaware of how to escape when a gas leak occurs, according to the report.

The low rate of scientific literacy in China has led to a number of misunderstandings.

The price of mung beans rocketed from 3 to 9 yuan per kg since April after a fraudulent health expert claimed they could be used to cure cancer.

A controllable incident at the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant in May sparked panic among the public after it was reported as a radiation leak.

In 2007, banana plantations in Hainan and Guangdong provinces were infected by the Panama disease fungus. Although the fungus is not harmful to people, a rumor claiming it was potentially carcinogenic led to a substantial drop in the price of bananas and local banana farmers lost more than 20 million yuan ($3 million) a day.

"The public cannot be rational without scientific literacy," Han said. "It is scientists' responsibility to speak to the public and help them understand science. When public incidents like the dairy scandal occur, scientists should work with the media to relate the truth."

US biochemist Thomas A. Steitz, who won the 2009 Nobel Prize in chemistry, told China Daily: "I talk to the media a lot. Although scientists spend most of their time on research, talking to the media is very important. I don't know how it works in China, but it inspires me."

By Hu Meidong and Peng Yining, China Daily

This is true not only among people who never go to college, but also among even college goes and even some PhDs. People LEARN the knowledge but do not learn to apply it to their everyday surroundings, or worse, apply it wrongly. This is a global problem.

These guys in charge of keeping orders in cities and dealing with peddling and properties are not normal police but from individual city managements organs. Some of them are quite notorious and corrupt and many of them hire thugs.

All in their civilized glory:
chenguan.jpg

But not everyone is going to take it lying down:
chinesefarmeri.jpg

scmnewsfileschinaproper.jpg

Kudos to the Chinese rambo :D :D :D. I think someone made a flash game called "Xiao fan vs. Chen guan" a while back.

lol I thought it might be better if they used present day outfit. I guess they don't for fear of being taken as anti-government game.

lol, and I love their warnings:

警告:本游戏儿童不宜,少女不宜,老人不宜,官员不宜

lol I thought it might be better if they used present day outfit. I guess they don't for fear of being taken as anti-government game.

lol, and I love their warnings:

警告:本游戏儿童不宜,少女不宜,老人不宜,官员不宜

Nope I think they were just being cheap. Here is one that is more modern:

¶¤×Ó»§´óÕ½²ðǨ¶Ó_°Ù¶È°Ù¿Æ

A heartbraking story.

ºóÂè³ÐÈÏɱ¼ÌÅ® δÕÒµ½Ê¬¹Ç±»ÃâÓèÆðËß(ͼ)_ÐÂÎÅ_ÌÚѶÍø

Stepmother confesses to killing her 14 year old daughter 9 years ago - Because of inability to find remains, the court dismissed all charges.

-------------------

http://news.qq.com/a/20101102/000769.htm

Video: Zhejiang Police Officer Arrested for **** of Female Suspect

Last edited:
Policemen jailed for fatal attempted **** - People's Daily Online November 01, 2010

A court in Hunan province said on Sunday that it had jailed two police officers and three other suspects for the attempted **** of two teenage girls, one of whom jumped to her death while trying to resist her attackers.

2709908888215964973.jpg

Gong Cheng, a Hunan police officer, was given the death penalty with a two-year reprieve for the attempted **** of two teenage girls, the Intermediate People's Court of the Xiangxi Tujia and Miao autonomous prefecture said on Sunday in Fenghuang County People's Court in Fenghuang, Central China's Hunan province, Oct 31, 2010. [Photo/Xinhua]

One of the pair, Gong Cheng, a Hunan police officer, was given the death penalty with a two-year reprieve, the Intermediate People's Court of the Xiangxi Tujia and Miao autonomous prefecture said.

Xu Lei, the other police officer, was sentenced to 15 years in jail. Lin Yi, one of three other men involved in the attempt, was given the death penalty with a two-year reprieve, and the other two, life in prison and 13 years.

According to the court statement, the two girls, surnamed Qiu and Hou, from neighboring Hubei province, knew one of the attackers and had gone to a karaoke bar in the autonomous prefecture with him and the four others on Sept 4.

The men decided to spike the girls' drinks with ketamine, an anaesthetic that causes a temporary loss of sensation, and take them to a hotel where they tried to **** the girls, both 16, the report said.

When the girls resisted, one of the men slapped and kicked Qiu, and threatened her.

When Gong tried to **** Qiu, she managed to get away and jumped out of a window of the ninth-floor room, falling to her death.

The five were also ordered to pay more than 350,000 yuan ($52,460) in compensation.

Source: China Daily

6330340360691193946.jpg

Local residents gather outside Fenghuang County People's Court for the trial in Fenghuang, Central China's Hunan province, Oct 31, 2010. [Photo/Xinhua]

How long did the trial take? I am sure it was quick. There is a lesson somewhere in this for our criminal justice system. Speedy trials, quick convictions and heavy exemplary sentences.....that is what India needs.

Asia Times Online :: China News, China Business News, Taiwan and Hong Kong News and Business.

SUN WUKONG
Some may be more equal than others
By Wu Zhong, China Editor

HONG KONG - Mao Zedong once said some of his Red Army generals were farmers who had been inspired to join the communist revolution by All Men are Brothers. Shi Nai'an's novel is one of the four greatest Chinese classics to have had a lasting influence on Chinese literature, culture and, perhaps, history (the other three being A Dream of Red Mansions, The Legend of Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West).

Even today, many characters depicted in All Men are Brothers are at home with the Chinese people, and many words and phrases from the novel have become part of the fabric of the Chinese language. Yanei is one such word, literally meaning an official's son. While the book's original meaning is neutral, it is now normally used to describe the offspring of an official who bullies others on the strength of his parent's power.

The novel depicts such a hateful bully, Gao Yanei, the son Grand Marshal Gao Qiu. One day, the beautiful wife of Lin Chong, a martial arts teacher of the imperial guards, caught the eye of Gao Yanei, who tried to molest the lady but Lin appeared on time and stopped him. Obsessed with Lin's wife and determined to get her, Gao Yanei asked his father's help.

The father set a trap to frame Lin on charges of attempting to assassinate a grand marshal sentenced to face tattooing and exile in faraway Cangzhou, so that his son could satisfy his lust. In fear that Lin would try to exact revenge, Gao Qiu then wanted Lin to be killed. While several murder attempts failed, they forced Lin to rebel to become an outlaw in the marshes of Liangshan.

The phenomenon of yanei seems to be re-emerging in China today. A recent incident has sparked public anger across the country over the arrogant and lawless behavior of some officials' children.

The incident happened on October 16 in Baoding city in northern province of Hebei. In the evening of that day, Li Qiming, a student at the Hebei Institute of Communication, drove a luxury car into the campus of Hebei University to pick up his girlfriend. Near the dormitory section, he hit two pedestrian female students. Instead of stopping, Li drove on as if nothing had happened, even though his windshield was cracked. The girls were rushed to hospital, where one of them died. The other is still being treated for a broken hand.

After picking up his girlfriend, Li drove back along the same road toward the school gate, but he was stopped by students and security guards and forced to get out of the car. He was unapologetic, and shouted, "Look how my car is scratched! Do you know who my father is? If you dare, go and sue me. My father is Li Gang!" Police were called to take Li Qiming away.

Someone quickly exposed the incident on the Internet. Outraged netizens started a "human flesh search" (a relay search for certain information) on the Internet to find out who and what Li Gang was.

What they found astonished them and further raised their ire. It turned out Li Gang is a deputy chief of a police station controlled by the Baoding Bureau of Public Security, the lowest-ranking official just above staffers. Baoding is a prefecture-level city on the border of the southern suburb of Beijing - about 140 kilometers from the center of the capital, rather than a remote backward place where "the mountains are high and the emperor far away". So how could a son of such a minor official in a place right under the nose of the "Emperor" dare to act so arrogantly and lawlessly? Mainstream media became interested and coverage sparked widespread debate.

On October 21, in a China Central Television interview, Li Gang made a tearful apology. Because he is a police officer, public opinion unanimously demanded justice in fear that Li Qiming would get away easily, given the rampant malpractice of collusion among officials.

Higher authorities were alerted. Hebei governor Chen Quan'guo ordered the case be dealt with seriously. On October 25, Li Qiming was formally arrested (formal arrest in China is meant for prosecution). To quell public concern, the public prosecutor announced that the trial would be handled by a court outside Baoding. It looks certain Li Qiming will be given a heavy penalty.

However, netizens and the media are not satisfied with their initial victory. They continue to dig up anything related to the Li family. The latest "discovery" is the claim that they own five properties in Baoding, including a luxury apartment, a shop and three flats - of which three are owned by the son and two by the father. They must be worth a fortune given Baoding's proximity to Beijing where housing prices ranging from 20,000 yuan (US$2,900) to 80,000 yuan per square meter. If this is true, the father may have a lot to explain. How can his son, a 22-year-old student, own so many properties? Where did he find so much money?

The inaction and silence of Hebei University authorities over the incident is also raising eyebrows. In an adopted practice, the authority in charge of a work unit must take a position on any incident in which an outsider injures a student. It is now said that the president of the university has been exposed for plagiarizing in his PhD dissertation and he had asked Baoding police to help find out who made the exposure. The public is demanding an explanation.

With reports snowballing, the media are referring to the scandal "Li Gang Gate".

In a sense, "Li Gang Gate" represents the general explosion of public outrage over the misbehavior of some officials' offspring. They feel it unfair that some of these children are able to get important positions in government or state-owned enterprises or make quick money by running their own businesses. And they are very angry over reports of officials' children bullying ordinary people.

It is good to see that, in "Li Gang Gate", the media and public can exercise their right to supervise the government and speak out freely. However, after some deeper reflection, one may ask: if such an incident happened involving a son or daughter of some much higher-ranking official, would the public and media dare or be allowed to do what they are doing in "Li Gang Gate"?

As Mao said, All Men are Brothers inspired farmers to join his revolution and help the Communist Party to eventually seize "all under Heaven". However, if children and grandchildren of communist officials fail to behave themselves and act like yanei, then they may eventually lose what their revolutionary predecessors fought hard to gain.

ZHAN ZHAN ZHAN ZHAN ZHAN!!!

How long did the trial take? I am sure it was quick. There is a lesson somewhere in this for our criminal justice system. Speedy trials, quick convictions and heavy exemplary sentences.....that is what India needs.

2 months.

i almost thought they were going to get away. the police ordered the body to be destroyed early, and they were unable to find evidence of a ****. however, the family believed that she was raped by a man wearing a condom. to hide evidence, the police officers said that it was the law to cremate a body within 14 days (but there's no such law) and the family complied so a major piece of evidence was lost after the initial tests. it was so bad that the case was forced to be moved to another area because of fears of corruption.

Offtopic but siege can you kindly tell me is there any way to learn Chinese language atleast to read and write through online sites. Please don't provide any paid sites as i will be unable to pay :-)cry:).

Well I personally think that going to China and mingling with the natives is the best way to learn but that costs far more than a tutor. The thing is that there are so many nuances to the Chinese language (especially online) that it is really hard to understand what people are saying even if you understand basic Chinese. As much as I hate to say this the best thing to do, if you encounter Chinese texts, is to use google translate or, if you are fortunate, get a Chinese speaker to translate it.

When you use google translate it is probably better to translate each character separately rather than in sentences.

If you think that it is too slow to paste in word one by one then just press enter after each character.

However some phrases are meant to be compound which is made out of two characters or more.

Then there are some slang some of which even I used to be unfamiliar. For example on chinese forums the word 'tragedy' is often replaced with 'cup assessories' as a humourous word play since they use different characters but have the same pronounciation. likewise 'comedy' is replaced by 'washing assessories'

When you use google translate it is probably better to translate each character separately rather than in sentences.

If you think that it is too slow to paste in word one by one then just press enter after each character.

However some phrases are meant to be compound which is made out of two characters or more.

Then there are some slang some of which even I used to be unfamiliar. For example on chinese forums the word 'tragedy' is often replaced with 'cup assessories' as a humourous word play since they use different characters but have the same pronounciation. likewise 'comedy' is replaced by 'washing assessories'

I know. When I was translating the J-XX article I was repeatedly stumped by phrases like 丝带.

Hoho yeah, and easier stuff like 老瓦,八爺.
wonder how the military encode its information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom