What's new

China's first domestically designed and built airliner

BoQ77

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Shanghai Y-10 - Chinese Airliner

Ever since I saw a picture of this unusual bird back in 1984, I have been fascinated by what I learned was China's first domestically designed and built airliner. At first, I thought it was a Boeing 707 - the distinctive cowled JT-3D engines with their turbocompressors gave that away. Upon a closer look, the cockpit seemed to be that of a Boeing B-17 bomber grafted on. What I was looking at was a Shanghai Yunshunji ("Transport Airplane") Y-10. I was excited to learn about a new large airliner, even though this 1980 aircraft was

10714190_394633457351878_3342777216996029365_o.jpg

y10-china-04-11551314.jpg

Last edited:
The last two images are not Y-10s but standard Boeing 707 ! ... just look at the tail.

It's surprise that China designed and built some large passenger airliner back to 1980s.
And it look larger with longer range in comparison to C919.

The project of Y-10 started in 1970, first flight took place in 1980 and was terminated in 1985. Lots of Chinese believed that was likely due to corrupted officials and bribery of US companies. The Y-10 manufacturers were awarded ToT contracts to assemble 24 MD 82 planes afterwards.

The project of Y-10 started in 1970, first flight took place in 1980 and was terminated in 1985. Lots of Chinese believed that was likely due to corrupted officials and bribery of US companies. The Y-10 manufacturers were awarded ToT contracts to assemble 24 MD 82 planes afterwards.

do you mean that corrupted officials cancelled the project and receive money from US companies to start assembly of MD82 instead of continue building the Y-10 ?

do you mean that corrupted officials cancelled the project and receive money from US companies to start assembly of MD82 instead of continue building the Y-10 ?

there are lots of debate on the Chinese internet about the Y10 program cancellation. Many people said, if we didn't stop the Y10 program in 1980s', maybe today we already have our own Boeing or Airbus.

To me, this is definitely a painful decision. But it is also the most appropriate decision China could make at that particular time. To support the Y10 program, you need to burn tons of money. So you need to either rely on government, or on airline companies to make the program continue:
  • Government budget: China was a very very very poor country in 1980s'. Government just could not afford the budget to continue the program. Not only Y10, but also many other defence R&D programs were stopped by government. Deng Xiaoping once told to his generals: the army needs to be prepared for the tough time. That is also why the army was allowed to run their own business since mid 1980s', because government just could not feed them. BTW, this was stopped by Jiang Zeming in 1990s', because the army-run business leads to many corruptions.
  • Airline companies: there were very few air passengers traffic in China in 1980s'. This means you couldn't get any financial support from the airline companies. Take the C919 today as a comparison, although it even hasn't made its maiden flight, it already get 500+ orders from domestic airlines.

The top boss of CAAC Shen Tu was dismissed in 1985 and he perhaps escaped from China. According to information declassified both in CIA and Taiwanese intelligence Shen was bought with a few million dollars. It's US governmental money paid through US companies.

The top boss of CAAC Shen Tu was dismissed in 1985 and he perhaps escaped from China. According to information declassified both in CIA and Taiwanese intelligence Shen was bought with a few million dollars. It's US governmental money paid through US companies.

such a little big man who solely changed the China aviation history.

What are you trying to prove? Discredit China's Massive contribution to this C919. If we use your logic. Boeing B787 is not American's effort. The American didn't build or design B787 themselves. It just a lego and easy job. Sourgrapes! :D Loser always use this logic. I pity their inferiority.
787-dreamliner.jpg

What are you trying to prove? Discredit China's Massive contribution to this C919. If we use your logic. Boeing B787 is not American's effort. The American didn't build or design B787 themselves. It just a lego and easy job. Sourgrapes! :D Loser always use this logic. I pity their inferiority.
View attachment 269321

The above are there sister company of them in country or assemble unit.

but my details is included company name also ...:woot:

The above are there sister company of them in country or assemble unit.

but my details is included company name also ...:woot:
So that's the different you can think of? LOL..

So B787 is not made in America. :D

Back
Top Bottom