What's new

China's 'Come to Jesus' Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask you, these recent Chinese converts in the West... do they ever turn around one day and say "I've been tricked"? By that I mean, do they sometimes give up their new faith and revert to atheism, and how likely do you consider that to be?

I have no idea. I probably don't think so. You should know as well, in HK, the Chinese who marry the British, you know, they never turn back, even if their white husbands beat them every day, they will never say "I was tricked" because its a face issue. Same thing here.

I just wanted to know what is the reason behind sending a team to promote Chirstianity?
Does the Chinese believe that following Christianity is going to bring them to the fore fornt of development or is it because they think that it is mandatory for a human being to have faith in a certain god and CHINA has found Jesus to be that god.

Islam only has a history of 1500 years. Before that Zoroastrians are very common in the mid-east/ Persia Empire. After persia was taken by the Muslim Arabs, a lot of noble class of Persia run to China (Tang) for life and an Army that they can borrow to fight back which they never get. Chinese can't really distinguish or care the Arab Muslims and Non-Muslims and see them as the same.

That bit of the history of Islam I do know a little. Thank you.

I came across this "rumour" that Sassanid nobles came to the Tangs as well. As far as I am concerned it's all historical hearsay and likely revisionist "elaboration". We can continue along this "revisionist" history since the first couple of emperors of Tangs were more than likely of half or quarter Tujue-lineage. So one might say fleeing Persians came to the half-(Gok)Turk relations due to "Arab aggressions", how's that? Just kidding.

Bottom line is that the overwhelming majority of non-Uighur Muslims in China today are Huis, even if not every Hui self-identifies as a Muslim.

Thanks for writing down your personal experience, it was very enlightening for me. :tup:

That is quite a system they have there!
I experienced that once at bus stop. An american lady approached me and asked about where I am from and after some chit chat she handed over me some christian religious book written in my mother tongue. I think so many asian people are experiencing something like this..

I have no idea. I probably don't think so. You should know as well, in HK, the Chinese who marry the British, you know, they never turn back, even if their white husbands beat them every day, they will never say "I was tricked" because its a face issue. Same thing here.

I think you're right, I haven't noticed that either.

Also, I had these two Christian missionaries come up to me one day in HK, when I was taking the Central/Mid-Level escalators up from Central, and they were trying to convert me right there and then. :lol: (Of course I'm still an Atheist).

What I'm worried about, is what would happen if the "machine" that you described in the West, was successfully brought over here to the PRC. They have been trying it already of course, but not in such a successful manner as the ones in the West.

I experienced that once at bus stop. An american lady approached me and asked about where I am from and after some chit chat she handed over me some christian religious book written in my mother tongue. I think so many asian people are experiencing something like this..

Let me ask you Nothing: did you lose anything in this process? Did the said American lady tell you to get off the bus and call you an infidel if you turned down the tract?

If yes I would be just as outraged as you.

If not then isn't it just fretting over nothing?

Actually interestingly, I have come across quite a few of these "New Women" (of course not just "New Men" anymore) who couldn't care less about this "face issue".

A husband that beats them? That said hubby is in for it ... not just from the said "New Women", but from the good ol' family court of the West.

If lil dragon wants to get an appreciation of the "machine", he should get to know the Family Court. It nearly ranks up there with the machine of the CCP in its hay-day.

@FairAndUnbiased: I do remember my time on campus. However, I never been approached by them but have seen them in action. I guess when you act/walk confidently, "they" stay away.

Christianity in Canada ?

Canada is the more sensible version of America; less lunatics running amok. The problem is that Canada is on the losing end and we'll end up like them. :cry:

I just wanted to know what is the reason behind sending a team to promote Chirstianity?

Seriously? It's due to the decline of memberships fro traditional followers.

Does the Chinese believe that following Christianity is going to bring them to the fore fornt of development or is it because they think that it is mandatory for a human being to have faith in a certain god and CHINA has found Jesus to be that god.

I wager it's to fit in.

Let me ask you Nothing, yes Nothing: did you lose anything in this process? Did the said American lady tell you to get off the bus and call you an infidel if you turned down the tract?

don't you think it is non-sence to go on and preach or try converting people. if feel its a sick practice. Mother Teresa was a cristian yet she being so popular for her humanitarian work never was interested in converting people.
Swamy Vivekanada a great Hindu by nature and a great spritual leader did trun down the people who asked him about converting to HINDUSIM in persuit of self realization. He said its posible for every to realize himself and god be it what ever religion they follow.

The act of conversion and preaching just shows how insecure CHRISTIANITY is and is behaving like prostitue to sell it self to gather followers. Don't you think that its possible for the human race to co-exist with each following his/her own religion.

Let me ask you Nothing: did you lose anything in this process? Did the said American lady tell you to get off the bus and call you an infidel if you turned down the tract?

It was/is not harmful, I was just sharing my experience..
But there I have different views when same matter get discussed in context of India

Actually interestingly, I have come across quite a few of these "New Women" (of course not just "New Men" anymore) who couldn't care less about this "face issue".

A husband that beats them? That said hubby is in for it ... not just from the said "New Women", but from the good ol' family court of the West.

If lil dragon wants to get an appreciation of the "machine", he should get to know the Family Court. It nearly ranks up there with the machine of the CCP in its hay-day.

you know and i know that the asian women who marry whites are frequently abused and suffer severe domestic violence especially in the US.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

@FairAndUnbiased: I do remember my time on campus. However, I never been approached by them but have seen them in action. I guess when you act/walk confidently, "they" stay away.

Canada is the more sensible version of America; less lunatics running amok. The problem is that Canada is on the losing end and we'll end up like them. :cry:

Seriously? It's due to the decline of memberships fro traditional followers.

I wager it's to fit in.

That's wierd because I don't think I slouch when I walk, and no one hears me talk.

I'd think that wearing ear phones is a sign to not talk to me, but they do so anyways.

The reasons, as I speculate, are "Third World outreach" (which I "approve of" as an individual), and religious "management" (which I by necessity find suspect, though understand the desire).

I also agree that with the spread of various dodgy schools of end-times eschatology masquerading as Gospel, the days of being "simple" are probably behind us.

"Precautions" do need to be taken by any government, even less-than-savory ones.

don't you think it is non-sence to go on and preach or try converting people. if feel its a sick practice. Mother Teresa was a cristian yet she being so popular for her humanitarian work never was interested in converting people.
Swamy Vivekanada a great Hindu by nature and a great spritual leader did trun down the people who asked him about converting to HINDUSIM in persuit of self realization. He said its posible for every to realize himself and god be it what ever religion they follow.

The act of conversion and preaching just shows how insecure CHRISTIANITY is and is behaving like prostitue to sell it self to gather followers. Don't you think that its possible for the human race to co-exist with each following his/her own religion.

I don't disagree that "preaching by deeds" is far more effective than by words.

However, attempted conversion in a secular society, without coercion, means neither "disrespect", nor "insecurity" to me.

It was/is not harmful, I was just sharing my experience..
But there I have different views when same matter get discussed in context of India

I see. Perhaps I was just needlessly "jumpy".

I also agree that in the context of India things do get more complex not the least because of "reservation" implications when people convert ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom