What's new

China's Asian Games village ready, handed over to organisers

I guess toilets are flushing ok and as for the dogs... there are none ... all were eaten on their way to the village :-)
(no offence intended to my chinese friends... just some light humor)

Wait a minute, I thought that was old Korean, not Chinese, culture?

I think it applies to both China and Korea, and historically to Japan as well.

Eating dog meat has historically been due to starvation/famine... caused by things such as drought, war, etc. Gradually it became acceptable in certain areas, although only a small percentage of people actually eat it.

China in particular has historically been very vulnerable to mass starvation, because only a small percentage of our country is made up of arable land.

Which explains why the Chinese (and Koreans/Japanese to an extent) are not very picky about the animals they eat. :azn:

(I'm happy that it has been banned in China though, I never personally liked the idea of eating dog meat).

Wait a minute, I thought that was old Korean, not Chinese, culture?

Another thing, contrary to Western stereotypes dog meat isn't considered a delicacy in China. There is a saying that "dog meat are unfit for banquets" and the phrase "selling dog meat while advertising it as lamb" means to swindle someone.

I think it applies to both China and Korea, and historically to Japan as well.

Eating dog meat has historically been due to starvation/famine... caused by things such as drought, war, etc. Gradually it became acceptable in certain areas, although only a small percentage of people actually eat it.

China in particular has historically been very vulnerable to mass starvation, because only a small percentage of our country is made up of arable land.

Which explains why the Chinese (and Koreans/Japanese to an extent) are not very picky about the animals they eat. :azn:

(I'm happy that it has been banned in China though, I never personally liked the idea of eating dog meat).

Dog meat is extremely inefficient thermodynamically. This is basic biochemistry. But if we ate on efficiency alone, the best thing would be algae sludge mixed with dilute salt water. I haven't eaten dog yet though, I'd try after I eat some snake.

Dog meat is extremely inefficient thermodynamically. This is basic biochemistry. But if we ate on efficiency alone, the best thing would be algae sludge mixed with dilute salt water. I haven't eaten dog yet though, I'd try after I eat some snake.

I was once goaded into eating snake meat by my parents after they told me that the said meat was "huang shan" (rice-paddie eels).

I've tried snake before, it's not that great to be honest. Maybe it was just the flavour of the soup, but I didn't enjoy it much.

I'll probably try it again someday. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom