What's new

China's Asian Games village ready, handed over to organisers

I thought those people are Manchurians? Like people with Tungusic ancestory who invaded China long time ago?

Nice job China, China is rising!

By the 19th century almost all the major decision makers with the exception of the Emperor were Han Chinese. The Manchus were too corrupted and the mighty bannermen were little more than "princelings" who hung out around tea shops around time the British invaded.

Today, however, the Manchu are one of China's 56 ethnic groups. They are as Chinese as any Han.

By the 19th century almost all the major decision makers with the exception of the Emperor were Han Chinese. The Manchus were too corrupted and the mighty bannermen were little more than "princelings" who hung out around tea shops around time the British invaded.

Today, however, the Manchu are one of China's 56 ethnic groups. They are as Chinese as any Han.

Oh,I understand similar to the Mughal empire in India. They came into the country as Persianized Muslim Mongols, but after Akbar the great they began Inter mixing with Indian ethnic groups like the Rajputs. And the emperors stop looking like Mongols like Babur lol.

Manchus emperors mixed with the Hans?

Off topic sorry

Oh,I understand similar to the Mughal empire in India. They came into the country as Persianized Muslim Mongols, but after Akbar the great they began Inter mixing with Indian ethnic groups like the Rajputs. And the emperors stop looking like Mongols like Babur lol.

Manchus emperors mixed with the Hans?

Off topic sorry

At first the emperors weren't allowed to take Han wives but I believe that marriages between the Manchu Emperor and Han women became acceptable during the Reign of Kangxi.

The Mughal Empire is a great analogy :tup:.

I think it may be a translation from Indus

Yes the name India, Indian, Indies, Hindustan, Hindu, Hind, Yìndù etc, etc, etc comes from the Indus river. The original Sanskrit name is Sindhu Persians could not pronounce it right and it became Hindu and on and on and on. Hindu never meant someone that practices the many vedic religions, but everyone on and beyond the Indus.

I think Kangxi himself married off some of his daughters for political reasons to various kingdoms around china.

Kangxi, Yongzhen and Qianlong were good emperors.

I heard they just threw them lot into the grinders as chicken feeds for the egg laying hens.

Its a good thing China is outlawing eating of dog meat:
¥i·Rªº¤pª¯¡A¤H¶¡ªº¦aº»¡Ð¡Ð¾Ç¦òºô

I wouldn't say China is outlawing dogmeat.

A controversial draft version of Anti Animal Abuse Act purposed earlier this year by some Beijing legal scholars contains clauses banning the consumption of dog meat, but that part is extremely controversial.

People are hoping the draft will be discussed during next years parliamentary session but it will probably take a while before the law is passed and I personally see little chance the said clause on dog meat will survive the process.

You see China is a multi-culture society and most people traditionally eating dog meat are in central and southern China, plus millions of Korean Chinese. The law being purposed by Northerners is a easy target for allegations of cultural imperialism. See the whole Cantonese vs Mandarin debacle in Guangzhou, similar things could well happen if a law banning dog meats are introduced. Even in Northern China, Korean restaurants run by Korean Chinese are seen everywhere and dog meat are usually a specialty of those restaurants. Law banning dog meat could well alienate Korean Chinese as well.

I wouldn't say China is outlawing dogmeat.

A controversial draft version of Anti Animal Abuse Act purposed earlier this year by some Beijing legal scholars contains clauses banning the consumption of dog meat, but that part is extremely controversial.

People are hoping the draft will be discussed during next years parliamentary session but it will probably take a while before the law is passed and I personally see little chance the said clause on dog meat will survive the process.

You see China is a multi-culture society and most people traditionally eating dog meat are in central and southern China, plus millions of Korean Chinese. The law being purposed by Northerners is a easy target for allegations of cultural imperialism. See the whole Cantonese vs Mandarin debacle in Guangzhou, similar things could well happen if a law banning dog meats are introduced. Even in Northern China, Korean restaurants run by Korean Chinese are seen everywhere and dog meat are usually a specialty of those restaurants. Law banning dog meat could well alienate Korean Chinese as well.

I haven't eaten dog and I wish people wouldn't but I agree a law banning it is silly.

I haven't eaten dog and I wish people wouldn't but I agree a law banning it is silly.

Isn't the law banning it mostly due to hygiene and health reasons?

There are so few people who eat dog meat in this day and age anyway.

Correct. Unfortunately the measure is seen by some Fengqing as the Chinese government kowtowing to the Westerners.

Dog meat isn't the only food that is being tampered with in China. There are many horror stories I've heard (and accompanying pictures) about the blatant disregard of food safety by some Chinese food companies. What China really need is her own version of the FDA.

We Chinese will eat anything if you call it a delicacy and say it will improve our chi. I don't see the practice falling away anytime soon.

What is the old joke? "The Chinese eat everything with four legs except tables—and everything that flies except airplanes"

yes good analogy

I've been wondering...did the Mughal ruling class take up the Indian culture, custom, languages (Hindi, Sanskrit) ?

The Mughal ruling class created a hybrid language called Urdu. Which is a Hindustani language. Its very similar to Hindi, but uses some Arabic-Persian loan words. The script is changed from a Sanskrit to Arabic. Earlier though they were using Persian..

Last edited:
Mughals under Babur come from the Chagatai Khanate a fragmention of the larger Mongol empire like Yuan,goldern horde,etc. They were Persianized like the kingdoms in S.E. Asia were Indianized in culture.

varghese-albums-pics-picture3559-babur-1.jpg

varghese-albums-pics-picture3558-babur.jpg

After Akbar the Great they began inter breeding with Rajputs because they formed an alliance.

And you can see they dont look Mongol any more "last emperor of the Mughals"

varghese-albums-pics-picture3561-last-mughal-emperor.jpg

his childern

varghese-albums-pics-picture3562-last-mughal-emperor-childern.jpg

wife

varghese-albums-pics-picture3560-last-mughal-emperor-wife.jpg

I am guessing this is what happened with theYuan Khante in China and the Manchurian empire too?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom