What's new

China your enemy: Jethmalani walks all over Pak’s red carpet

aimarraul

Reaction score
China your enemy: Jethmalani walks all over Pak’s red carpet

Posted: Thu Jul 28 2011, 01:48 hrs

Kasab’s birthday How safe is knee replacement?Telangana for whom?Cancer and urban life

There were several red faces at the Pakistan High Commission’s reception for visiting Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar here this evening when former Law Minister and Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani called China an “enemy” of both India and Pakistan — in the presence of the Chinese Ambassador — and peppered his speech with politically incorrect references, including one to Khar’s photograph.

This remark forced Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik to publicly clarify that these views were not shared by Pakistan. The Government, too, scrambled to control the damage with Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao walking up to Chinese ambassador Zhang Yan to clarify that New Delhi, too, did not share Jethmalani’s views. Rajiv Shukla, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, also apologised to the Chinese envoy.

The incident took place as the dinner was winding down when Jethmalani, seated at the head-table, stood up and started an impromptu speech.

Lol....Reminds me of old people(grand parents) who suddenly decide to become candid about everything giving rise to embarrassing situations. There should be an upper age limit for MP's. This guy is 88 years old!!!
I shudder to think what statements he would've made if he was successful in his campaign to be President.

China your enemy: Jethmalani walks all over Pak’s red carpet - Indian Express

There were several red faces at the Pakistan High Commission’s reception for visiting Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar here this evening when former Law Minister and Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani called China an “enemy” of both India and Pakistan — in the presence of the Chinese Ambassador — and peppered his speech with politically incorrect references, including one to Khar’s photograph.

This remark forced Pakistan High Commissioner Shahid Malik to publicly clarify that these views were not shared by Pakistan. The Government, too, scrambled to control the damage with Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao walking up to Chinese ambassador Zhang Yan to clarify that New Delhi, too, did not share Jethmalani’s views. Rajiv Shukla, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, also apologised to the Chinese envoy.

The incident took place as the dinner was winding down when Jethmalani, seated at the head-table, stood up and started an impromptu speech.

“Unless India and Pakistan are locked in the embrace of love, they will eventually be destroyed. Do not accept China as your friend, China is an enemy of both... beware of them (the Chinese),” Jethmalani said, addressing the visiting Pakistan Minister.

As soon as Jethmalani completed his speech, Shahid Malik said: “I would like to clarify that we don’t agree to his comments on China. I hope these are his personal views.” To which, Jethmalani said, “Yes, these are my personal views”.

At the head-table were Khar, Malik, MoS (External Affairs) Preneet Kaur, PM’s special envoy on Pakistan-Afghanistan Satinder K Lambah, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao and her successor Ranjan Mathai along with their spouses, Rajya Sabha deputy chairman K Rahman Khan, former sports minister M S Gill and MoS Rajeev Shukla among others.

Chinese ambassador Zhang Yan was seated at a table nearby, along with US charge d’affairs Peter Burleigh, Sri Lankan High Commissioner Prasad Kariyawasam and Egyptian Ambassador Khaled el Bakly. The reference to China wasn’t the only Jethmalani embarrassment.

“I wanted to be invited for this dinner today, and I wanted to come, especially after I saw your pictures in the newspapers today,” he began, addressing Khar.

Then he recalled his marriage: “Whenever I see democracy in Pakistan, I feel like the day I got married at the age of 18. The excitement like the day of my marriage, I feel the excitement every time I see Pakistan’s democracy coming through. I hope it will not be destroyed by any dictator.”

The former law minister also said, “I am not a great a lover of dictators but I have an exception. I believe he (Pervez Musharraf) wanted peace between India and Pakistan and I believe India missed the bus. The fault lies on this side, few people will admit this.”

The guy is a bit of a hothead, his word would make sense or have any effect if this was in the presence of Ayub Khan in 1962

Last edited by a moderator:
Some body said that as you get old you get wiser, it seems that the reverse is true for him. Couldn't he even think of etiquette problems at such an event!!!

Yes what he said was foolish to say in a high level meet like this in presence of chinese envoys.

But what he said is truth.

The only hinderence in pak success is animosity with India. The same can be said for india too though to a smaller extent.

Both China and America are just making money at the cost of these two nations.

We dont learn from our past, people say whatever that we are different and bla bla, the fact is we are stupid.

he is among the best around in his field , he must be having so logical ground for his comment , let him atleast explain his argument ....

Well, when India tested its nuclear device in 1998 the Indian FM (Fernandes?) publicly called 'China is India's greatest enemy' shortly after the nuke test.

That was not some 'slip'. I think that reflects the deep strategic calculations of the Indian establishment. Pakistan is a formidable enemy even without the nukes or Chinese help but the differences between India and Pakistan are so narrow that barely a few years ago Musharraf and Manmohan came very close to some kind of historic deal over Kashmir. The same cannot be said about China-India. Both have huge trade but also huge differences as well.

What this Lalitha says was not needed at that dinner though.

Ram Jethmalani is an eminent lawyer, but he is of a very independent mind.

Some believe he is an unguided Scud missile, but he is a man who is not afraid to state this view openly and forcefully.

He has taken on the bigwigs of Indian politics, be they from the Congress or the BJP and he has quit the BJP and once again has joined.

Here is an excerpt of his views even though he is a BJP member:

New Delhi With certain lawyer bodies declining to take up the case of Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone militant arrested in the Mumbai terror attacks, eminent lawyer Ram Jethmalani on Sunday maintained that no lawyer has the right to say he will not defend an accused.

"There is the express rule of the Bar Council of India that no lawyer shall refuse to defend a person on the grounds that it will make him unpopular," Jethmalani said.

"That is something that should never worry a lawyer. No lawyer worth the name should even talk about this kind of a thing," Jethmalani said and asked the legal community not to worry about peer criticism while taking up such cases.

"No lawyer has the right to say that he will not defend an accused," the eminent jurist told a television news channel.

Asked whether he had been approached to defend the terrorist, he said, "Has Kasab asked me? Let him ask me and I will tell him. Let the Pakistan High Commission approach me and I will give them a proper reply and advise."
No lawyer can refuse to defend an accused: Jethmalani - Express India

Note how he embarrassed the Govt of India.

As I said, he is an unguided Scud Missile.

He singles out Wahabis as the source of Islamic terrorism and does not take the popular line of blaming Islam as is done by the world.

His views are not the views of India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jethmalani is just stupid and jealous, nothing else.

There is never enemy between Pakistan and China.

:pakistan::china:

Hahahahahahaha. I just saw a few of his TV interviews on You Tube. He is some character. Has a towering intellect. He is not always pleasant or soothing on the ears. He has very strong opinions and always speaks his mind. That, to my mind is his greatest quality, he is true to himself and will not sugar coat his observations to endear himself to anyone, whosoever it may be. We may find faults with his ideology depending on the side of the fence we stand on but we have to recognise the basic integrity of the man. Amazing how sharp and clear his mind is even at this age. What he definitely is not is a diplomat and he has no pretensions of being one. Ultimately, he is a patriotic son of India.

Back
Top Bottom