What's new

China vows closer military ties with North Korea

Pakistan is the one having more than 100 nukes, not North Korea.

How many nukes in North Korea's arsenal?

The US CIA says North Korea may have one or two or up to five "crude" nukes. Some intelligence sources of South Korea, Russia and China cite a larger number - as high as 100 nukes or more. How can the intelligence estimates vary so widely? In order to answer this question, one needs to trace the history of North Korea's nuclear program and study the basics of nuclear bomb design principles.

Contrary to the common belief, the only reactor North Korea received from the Soviets was a tiny 0.1 megawatts thermal (MWt) reactor at Yongbyon. This reactor went into operation in early 1960s. Its primary function was isotope production for biomedical research.

A few years before its collapse, the Soviet Union agreed to build two nuclear reactors for power generation, about 1,000 megawatts electric (MWe) each, provided that North Korea joined the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). Accordingly, North Korea joined the NPT but it never got the reactors. Unable to find other sources, North Korea designed and built a 5MWe reactor on its own. This reactor, code-named Reactor I, was based on a 1950 MAGNOX technology (graphite moderator, aluminum-magnesium clad natural uranium fuel , CO2 gas cooling). The reactor was completed in 1984 and activated in February 1987 under Prof. Ha Kyong Won, a Korean physicist educated in the United States. This reactor can generate more than 30 MWt of energy.

A 50 MW MAGNOX-type reactor (Reactor II) was started in 1984. N Korea built a military nuclear complex next to this reactor. This complex was completed in 1989 and the reactor was tentatively activated in 1992. A 200 MWe MAGNOX-type reactor was started at Taechon, 60 miles north of Pyongyang in 1988. A 600-800 MWe reactor was also started at Taechon. A third reactor, 635 MWe, based on a German design was under construction at Simpo. The completion of these reactors was on hold in accordance with the 1994 Agreed Framework until the current nuclear crisis began. It is believed that North Korea is working to complete these reactors post haste..

A plutonium separation facility ("Radiological Research Lab") was built at Yongbyon in 1987. This plant is capable of handling several hundreds of tons of fuel a year, enough to handle fuel from all of the reactors. The plutonium factory for the nuclear weapons is a single story building constructed on top of the main plutonium reprocessing facility, deep underground. In 1993, N Korea completed a second plant, doubling its capacity for plutonium production to more than 100 lbs per year.

It is believed that North Korea removed about 30 lb of plutonium from Reactor I in 1988, and 60 lbs more in 1989-1991. If these figures are correct, North Korea would have about 90 lbs of plutonium. According a Russian source, North Korea bought 120 lb of plutonium from a former Soviet block country in 1992. In addition, North Korea may have acquired additional nuclear materials or nuclear weapons from the former Soviet republics. North Korea has conducted several hundred "cold explosion" tests of nuclear bombs. In a "cold" explosion, an actual nuclear bomb, with a limited amount of fissile matter, is detonated.

In addition to the plutonium bomb, North Korea is believed to have perfected an implosion uranium bomb design. This design requires only enriched uranium and no plutonium is used. The Pakistani bomb is of a similar design. North Korea has a large reserve of uranium ores and enriched uranium for nuclear bombs can be produced in large volume using small devices that can be hidden in underground chambers. Bomb grade uranium can be made by separating out U-235 by mass separation or charge separation. In the latter method, laser beams ionized U-235 atoms and high-voltage fields extract U-235 ions. The former method separates U-235 using centrifugal force.

Source: asianresearch.org

Then don't be hypocrite, and stop supporting the Vietcong concerning about the issues of the South China Sea.

Let the commies kill each other.

if it possible army equal for both commies country, Vietcong easy to crush PLA in a blink eyes.

if it possible army equal for both commies country, Vietcong easy to crush PLA in a blink eyes.

lols, you guys get more and more delusional every day.
funny in the 5 thousand years of history only the chinese have gone and ruled the south never the viets ruling north

lols, you guys get more and more delusional every day.
funny in the 5 thousand years of history only the chinese have gone and ruled the south never the viets ruling north

Back in five thousand years ago, most of Han's did not think Mongol has chance to rule China but it was happened, same with that thought Han's got ruled by Qing and another mistaken from Han's that never think Japan can be rule China but it does happened.

Bottom line is "don't say never" that's how people said "circle of life".

Back in five thousand years ago, most of Han's did not think Mongol has chance to rule China but it was happened, same with that thought Han's got ruled by Qing and another mistaken from Han's that never think Japan can be rule China but it does happened.

Bottom line is "don't say never" that's how people said "circle of life".

But even when China is in its weakest states, Vietnam couldn't poise any real threat to the north.

reading comprehension, use it.

Brilliant @Anon45, teach these non-native English speakers the difference between Who and Whom. Everybody here is at least Bilingual. How many languages do you speak ?

Go china, please give all the nukes technologies that can shoot to USA to Kim Jong Il. So when there is Sino and the US war NK can help knock out all the states cities.
By the way does any1 know if china does have the hypersonic advance weapon yet? US successfully test the 2400 miles, I hope china does have it so the US cannot bully china again.

But even when China is in its weakest states, Vietnam couldn't poise any real threat to the north.

Right, because Vietnam never ever thinking to start war with China, that is a reason why China always feel safe from South. In contrast, China always does wars to Vietnam unfortunately.

I believe NK must have 400 nukes already, they also have the launcher to shoot to NYC of the USA that what i had heard but not so sure.

I believe NK must have 400 nukes already, they also have the launcher to shoot to NYC of the USA that what i had heard but not so sure.

If I were the Dear Leader and had 400 bombs, I would keep 4 but sell the rest 396 to China for food.

---------- Post added at 05:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 AM ----------

Right, because Vietnam never ever thinking to start war with China, that is a reason why China always feel safe from South. In contrast, China always does wars to Vietnam unfortunately.

Care to explain it?

So by your assessment, we can clearly assume that China has proliferated nuclear technology and also missile technology to North Korea. it has breached all Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty guidelines and NSG treaties to which its a signatory. can you back your statements up with a credible source?

North Koreans deserve better get rid of Kim and install a military junta.

So by your assessment, we can clearly assume that China has proliferated nuclear technology and also missile technology to North Korea. it has breached all Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty guidelines and NSG treaties to which its a signatory. can you back your statements up with a credible source?

That's your assessment but not mine.
My assessment is it would take maybe a century before the NK could ever get 400 bombs. Because if they had the extra bombs why not trade it for food?

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

That's meant, ever since wars between China and Vietnam, China alwasy who started first. Doesn't China feels safe in South at all?

I think people who live in Guangxi hold a different idea about that!

Back
Top Bottom