What's new

China-US Geopolitics: News & Discussions

sounds like China had known the network for a long time, and finally when the time was right, decided to wipe them all in one go. Make wonder what kind of intel the Chinese were feeding the US.

A former developer for IBM pled guilty on Friday to economic espionage and to stealing trade secrets related to a type of software known as a clustered file system, which IBM sells to customers around the world.

Xu Jiaqiang stole the secrets during his stint at IBM from 2010 to 2014 "to benefit the National Health and Family Planning Commission of the People’s Republic of China," according to the U.S. Justice Department.

In a press release describing the criminal charges, the Justice Department also stated that Xu tried to sell secret IBM source code to undercover FBI agents posing as tech investors. (The agency does not explain if Xu's scheme to sell to tech investors was to benefit China or to line his own pockets).

Part of the sting involved Xu demonstrating the stolen software, which speeds computer performance by distributing works across multiple servers, on a sample network. The former employee acknowledged that others would know the software had been taken from IBM, but said he could create extra computer script to help mask his origins.

Xu, who is a Chinese national who studied computer science at the University of Delaware, will be sentenced on October 13.

The Justice Department's press release does not identify IBM, but instead refers to "the Victim Company." But other news outlets name IBM as the target of the theft, while a LinkedIn page with Xu's name shows he worked at IBM as a file system developer during the relevant dates.

IBM did not immediately respond to request for comment on Sunday.

This isn't the first time that Chinese nationals have carried out economic espionage against American companies. In 2014, the Justice Department charged five Chinese hackers for targeting U.S. nuclear and solar energy firms. And late last year, the agency charged three others for hacking U.S. law firms with the goal of trading on insider information that they obtained.

http://fortune.com/2017/05/21/ibm-employee-theft-secrets-china/

US needs to pass tougher laws regarding espionage, specifically in the area of punishment. There's a need for stiffer jail sentences. US is much too lenient.

CIA: More than 15 agents lost in China since 2010, spy network ruined completely
By
News Desk
-
21/05/2017

DAMASCUS, SYRIA (3:25 P.M.) – The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency has lost about 20 agents and informants in China since 2010, New York Times reported on Saturday.

No less than 12 people were killed, with one of them shot in the backyard of a government building before the eyes of his colleagues. This was allegedly meant to give a signal to other supposed spies.

Some informants were arrested. Overall, CIA lost from 18 to 20 agents in the People’s Republic of China in the period between 2010 and 2012.

NYT’s sources describe positions of U.S. intelligence in China as being the weakest over the course of decades. Chinese government managed to dismantle a spy network that took years to be established.

Investigators are sharply divided over the cause of such a failure. Some believe that a mole within the CIA helped Chinese authorities discover the spy network. Others suggest that the Chinese were able to hack the covert system that the CIA used to communicate with its foreign sources.

An investigation was initiated against one of the former CIA employees; however, he has never been charged due to lack of evidence, so the investigators ultimately dropped the case.

The exact reasons of U.S. intelligence exposure in China have remained unclear.

Key points from this New York Times report:

1. US Embassy/Consulates in China are indeed all "Spy Center"
2. this "breach" happened in 2010-2012, meant US Intel already patched the holes since 2013
3. this is another NYT / US Intel collaborated story on the New York Times

But remember the report cannot be authenticated. Even if it is true, they are spies already doing lots of damage to the country and it is the consequences of the game.

I like how in the entire report from the New York Times, the word "TRAITOR" are not used even once. Let's just turn the table and imagine if there were 20 White men in the US government that aided the Chinese intelligence operations then got caught. People would be cheering for their execution. Of course, in the actual report, these men were Chinese, and they betrayed their country to aid the USA. The bias is so obvious that I would call it propaganda, but even that is not possible, because in the West, only China can produce propaganda, while the American can only report the truth.

Now why would the CIA leak such information?
Wanna make China feel safe pretending everything is in control so they lower their guard?
I may be paranoid but I find it hard to trust anything the media says, in particular by the captured media....

Surprised that only 20 got caught. There are likely many many more CIA operatives operating in Beijing uncaught now.

The captured media only gets a small bit of the story. Why are CIA officers sharing information with the NYT now? How was the head of Chinese State Security personally attached to some of these assets? Human intelligence is often risky and always complex but necessary, as bad or no intelligence can lead to war. CIA spies in China have dwindled but not extinct and have learned to get their families to the US or other nations capable of their protection. This story does not end...

If this is intended to be the usual anti-China propaganda, I have say, it's pretty weak. I mean, imprisoning and executing traitors is pretty standard practice for every country. It's just insulting to the readers' intelligence for US media to take any kind of moral high ground on China busting a CIA Spy Ring, especially when it happened years ago.

Just make a list of all the "ANONYMOUS SOURCES" in "news" stories especially from the corporate establishment press in the US. I can write that President Xi kicked his dog and that I found out but really really I can't tell you who told me. But that is the entire story, somebody secretly told me and now I am passing on what they said even though I have no way to verify what they told me is true. Look at who is out of favor with the establishment Neoliberal Warmongering DEEP STATE and there you'll find a never ending supply of "ANONYMOUS SOURCES" :-) LOL

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html

Cross-posted at SCMP:
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2095100/china-killed-or-jailed-20-us-spies-2010-2012-report

Cross-posted at ZeroHedge:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-20/cia-incompetence-allowed-china-murder-dozen-cia-assets-nyt

READ ALSO the related older post at the other captured media at below:

CIA Mulls Pulling US Spies Out Of China After Massive OPM Hack Likely Compromised American Identities: Report

"When it was first revealed last month that Chinese hackers spent 18 months lurking inside unsophisticated computer networks at the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), the Obama administration denied any data on American intelligence officials was at risk. Now, though, U.S. intelligence leaders and congressional officials have admitted there’s serious concern throughout Washington about what the Chinese government might find if it combines data obtained during the OPM hack with information gathered through other breaches. The CIA is especially worried about American spies working in Beijing with DIPLOMATIC COVER, sources told the New York Times."

http://www.ibtimes.com/cia-mulls-pu...r-massive-opm-hack-likely-compromised-2024894

Because of these ungrateful assholes, we, international grad students are mostly barred from working on projects funded by DoD and DARPA.

Ungrateful assholes or not, the very idea of granting non citizens security clearance is ridiculous

[
The news intentionally forgot to mention this dude worked at IBM in China and was caught there.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ibm-crime-china-idUSKBN0TR2X820151208
A former software engineer for IBM Corp in China has been arrested by U.S. authorities for allegedly stealing proprietary source code from his former employer, prosecutors announced on Tuesday.

Jiaqiang Xu, 29, was charged in a criminal complaint filed in federal court in White Plains, New York, with one count of theft of a trade secret, as prosecutors accused him of trying to sell the stolen code to other companies.

He was arrested on Monday after meeting with an undercover officer at a White Plains hotel, where authorities said he was recorded saying he used the code to make software to sell to customers.
He should not have left China for the USA.

Back
Top Bottom