What's new

China-UK (Britain) Geopolitics and Economics: News & Discussions

That really depends on how many years or cycles you are willing to trace back. I am not doubting that China introduced alot of protocols in education that we were still using today. However, China also absorbed alot from other nations.

China didn't only reform its economic policy in the late 70s, education was a great part of it. A great effort was made by the Chinese government to study various education systems around the world in the past 30 years. If you are welling to dig around, you will be surprised to see how many Chinese educators were sent to Japan in the 80s and 90s. It was nothing short of a miracle how mass education could be implemented so quickly and efficiently in China.

Give credit to where credit is due. It is a virtue my friend.

P.S. To make you feel better, Japanese culture was heavily influence by the Chinese in the early days. However, that didn't prevent them from further reforming after their "friendly" exchange with U.S. Commodore Matthew Perry in the mid 19th Century.

Mass education wasn't implemented in the late 70's though. It was a core of Mao's policies in 1949, otherwise, the literacy would not have shot up from 10% to 70% by the late 70's. Only when you have literacy (that is, mass education) can you think about other aspects of education.

Asians are best at learning raw information from a book, but are they freethinkers???? innovation thinking out of the box??? this is what I'm curious about....when is China going to start churning out nobel laureates?

Nobel Laureates are not a good way to measure the scientific strength or creativity of a country. Otherwise, India and Pakistan are far more advanced than South Korea. The reason is twofold:

1.) Nobel Laureate selection is not an open peer review process like in the rest of science.
2.) Even if it were, Nobel Laureates represent only the top 1%. A country can be incredibly poor yet dedicate all its resources into producing a few elites. Look at the Republic of China days - many Chinese nobel Laureates were educated in those days, but China was one of the most backwards and scientifically weak countries in the world.

Why the Western people are so obsessed with "they just learn / copy from us" so much?. I found this trait in every Indo-European people, including backward people like Indian. They never accept that they have learned / copied so much from others. In the meantime, highly intelligent and civilized people, like Japanese and Chinese, always so humble, politically aside. They always say they are so backward, they need to learn from others, etc.

In fact, the whole Western education system are formulated from Chinese system. Before 18th century, did the West have examination? No. Did people study from primary school, pass test to go up to higher school and then to university like in China? No. All these had happened in China for centuries, at a very complicated level that even today, many countries are still struggled to follow. The Mongol conquest had brought much of Chinese civilization elements to Europe.

There is nothing wrong with learning from others when one is physically behind. When there is something that is already proven to work, only fools would trying to re-invent it.

Just because you "invented" something, that doesn't means there isn't anything left to be learned. Even Nobel laureates have to learn.

Given how UK education works nowadays, it is time for them to learn something from the Chinese.

I like how you said Chinese are humble people. Whether you decide to give any credits for any foreign system that may have contributed to Chinese education system is solely up to you.

There is nothing wrong with learning from others when one is physically behind. When there is something that is already proven to work, only fools would trying to re-invent it.

Just because you "invented" something, that doesn't means there isn't anything left to be learned. Even Nobel laureates have to learn.

Given how UK education works nowadays, it is time for them to learn something from the Chinese.

I like how you said Chinese are humble people. Whether you decide to give any credits for any foreign system that may have contributed to Chinese education system is solely up to you.

There is the opposite problem - Chinese have problems taking ownership of their achievements. It was only after a very long time in the US that I learned to take ownership of my own achievements, not just take blame for the failure.

Americans in general have no problem taking ownership of their achievements, and that is good. The problem comes when they start taking ownership of the achievements of others.

Why the Western people are so obsessed with "they just learn / copy from us" so much?. I found this trait in every Indo-European people, including backward people like Indian. They never accept that they have learned / copied so much from others. In the meantime, highly intelligent and civilized people, like Japanese and Chinese, always so humble, politically aside. They always say they are so backward, they need to learn from others, etc.
the "indo-europeans" and the "backward indians" say that about china because its true. would you like to challenge that? you fellows have a reputation of copy with no creativity.
and yes. the chinese in this forum are as humble as my pet flying pig.

the "indo-europeans" and the "backward indians" say that about china because its true. would you like to challenge that? you fellows have a reputation of copy with no creativity.
and yes. the chinese in this forum are as humble as my pet flying pig.

You don't even know what creativity in science and technology means though. You probably think Apple is innovative and Huawei is not.

Huawei did do some pioneering work in 3G technology, back in the day, and now is doing 5G work. Apple is not a pioneer either, but ppl point to it as if it was an innovation god.

The power of Apple has always been in marketing. They are innovative at marketing.

Their marketing convinces people to pay a massive premium for lower grade hardware specifications. And it works, they are immensely profitable. The customers aren't quite so lucky.

Without evaluation from your students, how do you know if you are doing well or not? How do you know when it is the students fault and when it is your fault? I think the assumption that teachers jobs are affected significantly by student votes is wrong.

You know that students who get high marks will praise teacher and failed students will give teachers a bad report. You can't see this happening?

I think that we have to find a middle path in this matter. Lets say it will take 10 hours to finish one chapter of maths, the first 4 hours should be chalk and talk, the following two hours should be dedicated to assessment of the material where students work in small groups and where the teacher gathers information on the problems of understanding by the students. The next two chalk and talk hours will be dedicated to explaining the problems from the two previous hours and the last two hours are divided in group work and final test of the chapter.

As of evaluating teachers, there should be a weighted assessment, e.g. 30% from student rating, 30% on performance of students' regular exam grade and 40% on final exam grade. Of course the final exam must be standardised across all schools.

I have been quite long in academia and here are my 2cents:

Individual instruction can cultivate the best of the students to very high level, and is good for determined students that aim for advanced studies. The downside is that it requires way too much resource and is counter-productive to those who have no interest in learning.

Mass instruction is effective to install a common level of expertise and bring up everyone no matter wether the individual is good or bad. Yet the very good ones need more care than the general instrustion. In China, their families take up this role and go for outside-school instruction opportunities, and pay a premium for it.

Why individual instruction isn't working for the long run? Simple: there are always a lot more medicore, not-for-academia students. This is how Chinese educate cheap engineers en mass.

For the very top tier, they will always excel in no matter which system. Such students can find the individualized instruction when they look for it.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom