What's new

China trying to outperform Russia on weapons exports

Why hasn't there been a single foreign customer for the Su-35 or MiG-35?

Why has the initial PAK FA order been cut from 52 aircraft to 12?

Why is India opting to buy the overpriced Rafale instead of more Russian fighters?

Why does Russia need to buy the Mistral-class from France?

Dude I can't agree with you about India.

There are reasons to believe that Russia will remain one of the finest military power and a major player in both weaponry market and world politics( even consider not their HUGE nuclear arsenal and Soviet legacy) in predictable future but not a less power like Iran or N.K.

Only when we finish these systems we can compare them with russian counterparts. .

You spent too much time in writing such a detailed analysis. But you are saying exactly what I am saying :tup:. I never said China could do that today. In my assessment, China is about 2 decades behind the US and about 7-10 years behind the Russians. But from a strategic standpoint, the Chinese weapons development industrial based in based off of current technologies, where you can quickly produce quality equipment (when China gets to higher quality standards), and many issues can be ironed out during simulations. The Russians didn't have that and their tech based was built in mainframes. So Russia still has and will have an edge over the Chinese systems for a while, but since the Chinese weapons development tech is starting from today's tech base, China has the ability to catch up with Russia and compete against them. That was the point I was trying to make. Russians simply don't have the money to pour into R&D the way they used to, Chinese at this point do. So more R&D means better products and services.

You spent too much time in writing such a detailed analysis. But you are saying exactly what I am saying :tup:. I never said China could do that today. In my assessment, China is about 2 decades behind the US and about 7-10 years behind the Russians. But from a strategic standpoint, the Chinese weapons development industrial based in based off of current technologies, where you can quickly produce quality equipment (when China gets to higher quality standards), and many issues can be ironed out during simulations. The Russians didn't have that and their tech based was built in mainframes. So Russia still has and will have an edge over the Chinese systems for a while, but since the Chinese weapons development tech is starting from today's tech base, China has the ability to catch up with Russia and compete against them. That was the point I was trying to make. Russians simply don't have the money to pour into R&D the way they used to, Chinese at this point do. So more R&D means better products and services.
For me China is roughly about 2.5 to 3 decades behind US and 1.5 to 2 decades behind Russia in certain aspects you and russians invested hugely for a long period. I'm not denying we are catching up as quickly as we can but all you guys are keeping advancing too, so it will take times, say 1 decade to narrow the gap to 1 or 1.5 decade. Russia do not need to compete with others in all aspects today so although their R&D investments are less, they could use them more efficiently to keep competitive in critical factors. Considering their weaponry income is pretty lucrative and important to the finance, they can keep a comparatively higher R&D investment

who is buying from China.... Pakistan, N Korea....who else ..may be Bangladesh....
all that together will be lot less what India buy from Russia alone....

who is buying from China.... Pakistan, N Korea....who else ..may be Bangladesh....
Add Belarus to that list since they just bought the new MLRS system. Thailand just bought some subs from them too.

In 1-2 decades there will be A LOT of South American and African countries countries buying military equipment from China.

You realize buying Weapons system isn't buying Candy right? India's getting to a point where she needs to be, and then it'll stop or 80% of it would stop. These weapons systems usually remain operational for 2-3 decades. So what you've been buying since 2010, won't continue in the same pace forever, its coming to a slow down.

Second, what the hell does India has to do in a conversation about Russia, China and the US? These are weapons "PRODUCING" countries and you brought India as a weapons buyer. Before you add India to every single bathroom or newsroom on the planet, you should realize the point of the conversation and associated current and future realities.

Please don't use your ignorance as an excuse to spread more. Other than Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, China also has buyers in Asia Pacific including Thailand and Indonesia. 18 countries in Africa. Arab states even Turkey will be buying Chinese long range SAM's. Then there are Venezuela, Argentina and many more and with every click on the clock the numbers of Chinese arms importers are expanding.

Why hasn't there been a single foreign customer for the Su-35 or MiG-35??
No idea.

Why has the initial PAK FA order been cut from 52 aircraft to 12??
Due to the difficulty of funding the acquisition of 52.

In December 2014, the Russian Air Force planned to receive 55 fighters by 2020. But Yuri Borisov, Russia's deputy minister of defence for armaments stated in March 2015 that the Air Force will slow PAK FA production and reduce its initial order to 12 jets due to the nation's deteriorating economy.

Liklewise, in May 2013, it was reported that Russia plans to order 37 Mig 35 aircraft. On 17 August 2013, the Russian Defense Ministry reported that the purchase worth 37 billion rubles ($1.1 billion) will be delayed until 2016. The delay was caused by state arms spending cuts

Why is India opting to buy the overpriced Rafale instead of more Russian fighters?
Why doesn't India purchase the Su-35 instead of the Dassault Rafale? - Quora
+ SU-30MKI has abilities similar to Su-35 with which it shares many features and components > why bother.

Why does Russia need to buy the Mistral-class from France?
Perhaps it doesn't need to. BUt it wanted to. And that had something to do with transfer of production technologgy and the command system.

Super Power.

To be a super power you have to have the ability to respond to any threat world wide am I right?

to be a super power you have to have big influence world wide am I right?.

but who really have all that in hand today beside the U.S?

China is going to be that super power within a decade from now or 2 that's the fate of that nation they have very today to make them that country with plenty of influence and power the biggest one they have is money.

Russia I would call it semi-super power in the near future since the only think they lack is money but who knows the world is seeing lots of changing in geopolitics how about if a kind of alliance pop up between china, india, iran and Rushia and some other countries in south america wouldn't that give the russians the juice they need to be a super power.

So super power all about these:

1-big population.

2-big land.

3-money.

4-industry.

5- high tech.

Now who does have all and who does have part of them.

U.S.A

China

Russia

India

and Brazil.

these nations are the real deal the rust are may may not.

for instance take japan it has most of them but it lacks the land but is land really that matter sometimes yes the US without the big land wouldnt has all the resources it needs.

the same goes to canada and australia they have the land but they lack the population.

that means you need the recipe to be a super power otherwise you are not going to make it.

You have to remember we have a non-interference policy, and thus limit our ability to supply weapons for war. Russia and the US are active participant and that's why war is good because they both try to create tension in the world to sell their weapons. If we have the same mindset as them, we too will be a major arm supplier.

You have to remember we have a non-interference policy, and thus limit our ability to supply weapons for war. Russia and the US are active participant and that's why war is good because they both try to create tension in the world to sell their weapons. If we have the same mindset as them, we too will be a major arm supplier.

Wait till China matures it's jet-engine technology by 2020 and see how many times more the Chinese can sell abroad than now.

Planes are one of the most profitable parts of the arms trade.

Last edited:
Wait till China matures it's jet-engine technology by 2020 and see how many times more the Chinese can sell abroad than now.

Planes are one of the most profitable parts of the arms trade.

Not neccessary. Plane has high production cost. Huge military transaction does not automatically translate to big profit.

Super Power.

To be a super power you have to have the ability to respond to any threat world wide am I right?

to be a super power you have to have big influence world wide am I right?.

but who really have all that in hand today beside the U.S?

China is going to be that super power within a decade from now or 2 that's the fate of that nation they have very today to make them that country with plenty of influence and power the biggest one they have is money.

Russia I would call it semi-super power in the near future since the only think they lack is money but who knows the world is seeing lots of changing in geopolitics how about if a kind of alliance pop up between china, india, iran and Rushia and some other countries in south america wouldn't that give the russians the juice they need to be a super power.

So super power all about these:

1-big population.

2-big land.

3-money.

4-industry.

5- high tech.

Now who does have all and who does have part of them.

U.S.A

China

Russia

India

and Brazil.

these nations are the real deal the rust are may may not.

for instance take japan it has most of them but it lacks the land but is land really that matter sometimes yes the US without the big land wouldnt has all the resources it needs.

the same goes to canada and australia they have the land but they lack the population.

that means you need the recipe to be a super power otherwise you are not going to make it.

England was super power for centuries, now look at the size and population of England of that era

Not neccessary. Plane has high production cost. Huge military transaction does not automatically translate to big profit.

If produced in large enough quantity, the fixed cost allocation will be spread thin and the price per fighter reduced substantially. China is the master of working with economy of scale and fighters cost the most thus great room for absurd profits. High tech = high profit.

Kinda like selling tens of thousands of shirts (Rifles, tanks, dumb rockets) or one car (fighter).

@Viper0011.

Look I agree with you at some points, but before you put China on par with US, you must realized that USSR was recognized superpower by all countries in the world, and that China maybe become superpower and maybe not.
In 80's everybody thought that Japan will become "third superpower" along USSR and US. And what happened?

Time will tell who will create global picture. But before you call Russia "another large nuclear country", read Zbigniew Brzezinski, he is master of geopolitics. Once he said " When GB was empire, their main rival was Russian Empire, when America was "empire" their main rival was Soviet "empire", we must repress any resurgence of russian power in Euroasian continent".

And btw. I think that you missed key point. Now Russia is not superpower, but potential. And it is still second exporter of weapons, with just 4% less then US.

So nothing changes on first two places, except US become #1 and Russia #2.
I agree this is just another fearmogering article. China has a long way to honor even come close to Russia

Back
Top Bottom