What's new

China to construct three more dams on Brahmaputra river

Leave India, Brahmaputra is your second major river with water least polluted, they are blocking your water source, Brahmaputra is not a minor river like Teesta or Barak, Brahmaputra carries huge volume of pure water in Bangladesh.

I am really surprised Bangladesh government or opposition never have expressed any concerns for Chinese dams.

No they are not blocking anything. We already communicated with them.

if the attitude my indian brothers have shown here is the general attitude towards cross border dams on shared rivers, I might say you are far inferior to be human. You are trying to justify your heinous act by some other similar acts. Good for us to learn !!

Lets see if we are hurt or not. While i lack the intelligence in dams, i trust our Chinese friends as they have always been a great friend to us.

Thats what Pakistan did , trusted China blindly.. now its your turn to follow, But I dont blame China , they do what suit their country...they do things in favour of their country. While others just sit on `hope` it wont effect them!! What a Pity !!

It is good to see that regardless of political affiliation Bangladeshi's unanimously agree on their confidence on China that China will not harm Bangladesh and its people's interest.

And every time Indians start a thread like this we Bangladeshi's should promote this website, and point out India's damning track record on this same issue, which is called by some as "water terrorism":

.:: International Farakka Committee ::.

EDITORIAL

On July 18-19, 1998, International Farakka Committee (IFC), Inc., NY, U.S.A., and Institution of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB) jointly organized an International Conference on the 'Problems of Surface and Groundwater Management, Arsenic Contamination, and Desertification Syndrome in Bangladesh'. The conference was well attended. A former U.S. Congressman, scientists and experts, policy planners of the Government, political leaders, leaders of opposition and NGOs attended the conference. National and international experts presented their papers in technical sessions. In the plenary session of the conference, 10-point recommendations were unanimously adopted and a draft for national water management plan was finalized.

First a decision was taken to publish the proceedings of 1998 Dhaka Conference. Due to unavoidable circumstances, the publication was delayed by a few years. We therefore decided to include a few important papers and documentations and awareness-creating activities which were not presented in the conference. We also updated the conference papers and renamed the publication as 'National Documentation on the Problems of Arsenic and Farakka'.

It is a well-known fact both nationally and internationally that Bangladesh faces two major catastrophe, Arsenic Poisoning in Groundwater and Desertification Syndrome, due to adverse impact of the Farakka Barrage. Withdrawal of water from Ganges (Padma) by India has started to affect the lives and environment of northern Bangladesh, apart from its devastating effects in the south. Therefore, two important articles about the impacts and consequences of the Farakka Treaty have been included.

Arsenic poisoning is a matter of grave concern now. It is one of the biggest outbreaks of poisoning in the present era and about more than half of the population of the country is at risk of arsenic poising. A report by World Health Organization predicts that within a few years, one out of 10 adult deaths across much of southern Bangladesh could be from cancer triggered by arsenic. Tens of millions of people are at risk. We have therefore included a few important articles on arsenic related hazards from experts, although they were not presented in 1998 Conference.
International Farakka Committee is making tremendous efforts for mobilizing international opinion on these two major issues of concern for Bangladesh. Two articles, 'Arsenic, a Massive Killer - Who is to be Blamed! ' by IFC Chairman, Atiqur R. K. Eusufzai, and 'Water Diversion, Arsenic Peril, and the Role of Bangladeshi Expatriates to Mitigate Arsenic Mass Poisoning in Bangladesh' by Sayed Tipu Sultan, Secretary General of IFC, have been included in this volume as evidence of the role of IFC in mobilizing international opinion to save the lives of millions in Bangladesh.

Earlier IFC had also organized two important International Seminars on 'Farakka Agreement, Arsenic Problem, Natural Gas, Transit, and other related national issues of Bangladesh', at Hotel LaGuardia, New York, 1997, and on 'Farakka Barrage' at Columbia University, New York, U.S.A., 1993. Abstracts of papers presented in those conferences have been included in this documentation as a matter of record.
We strongly feel and want to state categorically that the problems of arsenic and Farakka need urgent solution on which the very survival of millions depend, and therefore Bangladesh as a nation and the United Nations as well must act to prevent the consequent disaster.

The phrase 'Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)' has, in recent years, came into coinage. Considering the ecodisaster and untold miseries, the Farakka Barrage has inflicted upon the upper reaches (Bihar and West Bengal) and the lower reaches (Bangladesh) of the Ganges, this deadly dam may be aptly called a 'Weapon of Mass Destruction'. Its decommissioning, by invoking of a sense of justice and eco-consciousness, will no doubt usher in a new era of neighbourly cooperation and prosperity in South Asia and will certainly stand up as an example worth being emulated by the rest of the world.

We are planning to distribute this National Documentation to policy planners, experts and leaders of opinion in Bangladesh, UN and other International Organizations, members of Senate and Congress of U.S.A., and other concerned people in Europe and North America to create sufficient world opinion for addressing these problems as eco-concerns of the shared earth.

I would like to thank the members of the Editorial Board for their sincere help and to all the authors for their contributions.

I do hope this National Documentation will provide valuable information and important insight which would enable us to deal with the problems of arsenic and Farakka. Let me conclude with the hope that these two serious problems would be solved in the near future, so that Bangladesh may survive and prosper.

Professor Dr. Jasim Uddin Ahmad
Dhaka, July 2003

Thats what Pakistan did , trusted China blindly.. now its your turn to follow, But I dont blame China , they do what suit their country...they do things in favour of their country. While others just sit on `hope` it wont effect them!! What a Pity !!

I guess it's not hard to verify before trusted China, just put some flow-meter to measure water flow rate to your country...then complain later.

Who said I m complaining mate?
Im just saying to this `brotherhood`that its their fault... China does what it seems to be right in her interest!! and we do what deems fit to our. Its all cool brah!! Survival of the fittest!!

what i see is just some blind trust for china and complete mistrust towards india by bangladeshi friends..thats fine as india willn't bear the burnt of water crisis..we have plenty of them.and if water level of bramhaputra drops,it will give india a perfect excuse to create more dams on river like ganga and teesta.if bd govts have no prob about creating dams on bramhaputra,why should they'll have problem with ours cases??right??please then don't whine about that.

We trust China’s promise on dam: Manmohan

Stating that India “trusts China”, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday informed the Rajya Sabha that China had assured India that the dam being built on the Brahamaputra River in Tibet would not harm India’s interest.

“We trust its statement. India and China are neighbours. It is in our interest to have the best possible relations with China. We have been assured by China that nothing will be done that will affect India’s interest,” Dr. Singh told the Rajya Sabha during Question Hour. He was intervening in the reply to a question put to External Affairs Minister, S.M. Krishna.

Dr. Singh informed the members that the construction of a dam at Zangmu, on the Brahmaputra river in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, had been repeatedly taken up with China. It is a run-of-the-river hydro-electric project which does not store water. “We trust [the Chinese statements] but also verify. China has given [us] an assurance that the dam on the river will not in anyway hurt India’s interest,” he added.

Noting that the sharing of water from the rivers which are of inter-state importance could cause problems at times, Dr. Singh said the matter should be allowed to rest with the assurance given by China. “Unnecessary provocation on either side can hurt relations,” he remarked.

Earlier, Mr. Krishna said the government was aware of the construction activity at Zangmu. India had taken up this matter China during the recent visit to India by Chinese Premier, Wen Jiabao in December last year, he said. “The Government has ascertained that this is a run-of-the-river hydro-electric project, which does not store water and will not adversely impact the downstream areas in India,” he said.

“India trusts statements when the Government of China at the highest level assures the Prime Minister on the dam,” Mr. Krishna said. “We trust but we also verify. We have verified Chinese claims on the dam being run-of-the-river power project which does not store water. We are convinced that it is a run-of-the-river project. We constantly keep our surveillance across the border,” he said.

Mr. Krishna said 80 per cent of the catchment areas of the Brahmaputra were within the Indian territory. “It is important that the States of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam harness and utilise the waters of the Brahmaputra. The Chinese Premier said that China’s development of upstream areas will be on the basis of scientific planning and study and will never harm downstream interests,” he added.

The Hindu : News / National : We trust China’s promise on dam: Manmohan

what i see is just some blind trust for china and complete mistrust towards india by bangladeshi friends..thats fine as india willn't bear the burnt of water crisis..we have plenty of them.and if water level of bramhaputra drops,it will give india a perfect excuse to create more dams on river like ganga and teesta.if bd govts have no prob about creating dams on bramhaputra,why should they'll have problem with ours cases??right??please then don't whine about that.

Dam river is not the same as divert the river: the water level drops can be many causes such as less rain fall, climat changes...you can't hold China accountable to every single drop of water. BD friends can come to check in china side the volume of water delivered to India and the volume of water that BD receive from India, if there is a large difference then India will be the one responsible...simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom