What's new

China- Tibet a long way conflict

Myth: China is following a "genocide" policy against Tibetans.
Fact: Tibetan population in Tibet, Sichuan and Qinghai more than doubled since 1949. What kind of genocide doubles the population growth of the intended target?

Myth: China is moving Han people to displace local Tibetans.
Fact: Han people residing in Tibet comprise of less than 7% of the population in Tibet, roughly 20,000 out of 3.2 million. Even if you include military and police, that's still under 10% of the total population. Not much of a displacement if Han people only managed to rise to 7% in 60 years is it?

Myth: China regularly oppress Tibetans.
Fact: Tibetans today live better than any other period in history. Literacy rate, life expectancy, median income are all up. Education and healthcare coverage are available at better terms than Han people. University entrance standard is easier. Most government jobs are reserved for the locals. When facing criminal charges, they generally receive more lenient sentence due to a policy enacted in 1984 called "两少一宽".

So if it's all so great, why do some Tibetans regularly protest and self-immolate against the government administration? Well, I don't know. Do you know why Taliban in Pakistan and Afghanistan won't adopt modern ways of life?

So The Evil CCP discriminates the Han, they gave the minorities so many superiorities. Tibet is Chinese land, we can move Han there. This is our business. Just like the Yankees move to the California.

I realize that it is very difficult for the Chinese to understand that there is more to life beyond economic growth and shiny gadgets. Having been without political and mental freedom since long, the only "freedom" available to Chinese people is of the economic kind. This, they tend to extrapolate to the rest of the world.

I have a suggestion. Why doesn't China propose becoming a colony of the US. Your economic growth will zoom as the interests of the workshops and consumers converge. In the bargain you may also get to taste some other freedoms.

Tibetans are a different people with a totally different culture. They are not Chinese in any sense of the word. Why then should they reconcile to being ruled by China in exchange for some economic growth?

Tibet has been part of China since the 1700s. If we require nations to return to how they were before 1700s, than India need to break up into small pieces as that is how India was before the 1700s. Are you ready for the cease of existence of India.

Tibet has been part of China since the 1700s. If we require nations to return to how they were before 1700s, than India need to break up into small pieces as that is how India was before the 1700s. Are you ready for the cease of existence of India.

I m not yet ready for a troll fest...so bye.:no:

Dude you say tibet is part of china from 1700s but you want to claim disputed land with other countries based on some imaginary maps from centuries ago.how does that work.

We don't give a **** what you think. What matter is what we think of Tibet and it is part of China. Majority of countries on this earth become independent through the use of force. Nothing will changed.

Tibetan and Han people share the same genetic ancestor.

Tibetan and Han Chinese language also came from the same language family - Sino-Tibetan.

Buddhism is a major religion in China. Both Chinese and Tibetan Buddhism belong to the same branch - Mahayana Buddhism. Which is found mainly practiced in East Asia in China, Mongolia, Japan and Korea.

Hi there,
As many Nordic countries, Helsinki is peaceful and quiet. But you know, we still follow the world news everyday.

Because no one is going to bother with you.

Tibet is a peaceful and quiet place too, if US never bother with them too.

Tibetan people. I supposed. thanks for your information

Hi guys, this is the second part

Core cause of the conflict

Understandably, the conflict between China and Tibet is regarded as the ethnic/ religious conflict. This is due to the prominence of the two main ethnicity and religion issues raised over the conflict.

You don't understand about Tibet conflict.

It's not ethnic nor religious conflict. It's a Cold War between US and China.

Tibetan is just an idiot in the middle.

I realize that it is very difficult for the Chinese to understand that there is more to life beyond economic growth and shiny gadgets. Having been without political and mental freedom since long, the only "freedom" available to Chinese people is of the economic kind. This, they tend to extrapolate to the rest of the world.

I have a suggestion. Why doesn't China propose becoming a colony of the US. Your economic growth will zoom as the interests of the workshops and consumers converge. In the bargain you may also get to taste some other freedoms.

Tibetans are a different people with a totally different culture. They are not Chinese in any sense of the word. Why then should they reconcile to being ruled by China in exchange for some economic growth?

A huge multi ethnics and tribes country like India should not talk like that.

You don't understand India too, the concept of India unity.

But I'm agree with you if the communist is the cancer of East Asia. But no need to worry, after decades of stupidity, we, the children of East Asian will rise and kick out the communist out from China forever.

Future Tibet - Text And Photographs By N. RAM | FRONTLINE Magazine (2007)

Reality check 2007 shows that China is in firm control and `Tibetan independence' is a hopeless cause.

A view from the train on the roof of the world.

TEN years from now, a visitor to Tibet is likely to find it transformed into a region of middling prosperity. It is likely to have quite high living standards; a robust industrial base; modern agriculture and modernising animal husbandry; a well-educated, relatively young population; a high cultural level; a strong infrastructural spine and network supporting the development of a vast region; and active linkages and contacts with the rest of the world. It is more than likely that the autonomous region will enjoy political and social stability. It is certain not just that Tibet will be a still autonomous but much better integrated part of China but also that rising China will be very much in charge of Tibet's future. A significant part of `Tibet in Exile' could be back home, participating in shaping this future. A quarter century from now, possibly earlier, Tibet will reach the status of a developed society.

These predictions can be confidently made on the strength of two visits I have made to the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) over the past seven years.

The FIRST visit, over five days in July 2000, gave me an opportunity to attempt some reality testing of Dharamsala's main campaign themes. In psychology and psychoanalysis, reality testing is defined as the technique of objective evaluation of an emotion or thought against real life, as a faculty present in normal individuals but defective in some psychotics. The technique is increasingly used in other contexts, for example in conflict resolution where the objective is to `adjust' conflicting perceptions that do not `conform to the realities of the situation.' In the case of China's Tibet, the reality testing was not against what the protagonists and victims of the `independence for Tibet' campaign felt or believed - in exercise of what is known as the `ego function' - but against the defining themes of the campaign.

[...]

Read further at: FRONTLINE Magazine (just search the site link as i can't put its link here at present), by Narasimhan Ram (or often shortened as N. RAM)

Volume 24 - Issue 14 :: Jul. 14-27, 2007
INDIA'S NATIONAL MAGAZINE
from the publishers of THE HINDU

OR TRY this shortcut: h-tt-p :// j.mp / 1c0eq8E

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As about N. RAM's FIRST visit to Tibet in 2000, one may read his impression and experiences here:

TIBET - A REALITY CHECK

Frontline, 2000-09-02

by Narasimhan Ram (September 2000)
2000/09/15

Volume 17 - Issue 18, Sep. 02 - 15, 2000
India's National Magazine
from the publishers of THE HINDU

TIBET - A REALITY CHECK

N. RAM writes, after a five day visit to the Tibet Autonomous Region of China.

"The sky is turquoise, the sun is golden,
The Dalai Lama is away from the Potala,
Making trouble in the west.
Yet Tibet's on the move.''

FOR an Indian in Tibet who has no sympathy whatsoever for the Dalai Lama's separatist, revanchist and backward-looking agenda, this passable adaptation of an old Tibetan song seems to fit contemporary realities. A careful reading of the facts of the case reveals that this ideological and political agenda, pursued essentially through external agency, is three projects rolled into one - splitting Tibet from China, carving out a 'Greater Tibet' through ethnic cleansing, and restoring a moth-eaten theocracy , the ancien regime with some modest, if not quite cosmetic, 'democratic' changes. Each one of these projects can be seen to represent a pipe-dream, especially if one remembers that - unlike in the case of Kashmir - there is not a single country and government in the world that disputes the status of Tibet, that does not recognise Tibet as part of China, that is willing to accord any kind of legal recognition to the Dalai Lama's 'government-in-exile' based in Dharmasala.

An array of apartment and office buildings in central Lhasa. The transforming effects of modernisation are very visible in Tibet's capital.

[...]

just search the link :)

OR TRY this shortcut: h-tt-p :// j.mp / 1e91azq

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally I don't think there's any problem between the Tibetan people and the Han people; it's just a problem between the Dalai Lama and his cliques vs. China.

Future vision possibility of this conflict!

Even though it is not widely and officially recognized, Chinese government does enter into talks with Tibet’s government-in-exile in India. Even so, the talks did not show much hope for future. While China accused the Tibetans and the Dalai Lama for separating Tibet from motherland, the Dalai Lama says he only wants genuine autonomy for the region.

Dustin Stokes, from the University of Colorado, the USA suggested a possible future for Tibet. According to Stokes, Tibet may still is a part of China and under its domination, the country would be more autonomous and have more political self-determination. Economy would keep developing, in term of bringing more benefits to Tibetans, rather than to only Tibet’s Han Chinese immigrants like in current situation.

Those actions would be potential to keep Tibetan culture unharmed. As time goes on, this type of self-determination and improved governance would extend to the “Greater Tibet” areas. In a long term process, China and eventually Tibet would become a liberal democracy one day.

http://www.fnotw.org/Article/Full/4829

Tibet has not been a defining part of China ever. But China rules Tibet now. And the rule is IMO better than what Dalai Lamas would have done. Best case scenario - it would have been a idle sleepy tourist spot like Bhutan. Worst case - an opium smuggling corridor and the playground for the world's intelligence agencies. Besides it also is located in a very very strategic position. No country would like to give it up.

But yes, they could have sat with the Dalai Lama(I dont respect him for his politics, Gandhian politics sound good but is a joke), even if just to show the world. Installing a Lama in Lhasa instead is not so smart. But then Dalai has no influence even in India :D So I guess he just does not count. As for the self immolating Lamas - I am sure the Chinese folks would laugh their ***** off it. Hell, I would had I been a Chinese.

Bottomline - China rules it. China is not morally right to rule it. The Chinese civilization is not rooted in Tibet. But it's rule is much better than the feudal lords. The only problem with Chinese rule is that they are painfully close on the Indian border :devil: But unlike our other neighbor, China is smart and inspite of repeated crossing not a single bullet has been fired by EITHER side.

Tibet has not been a defining part of China ever. But China rules Tibet now. And the rule is IMO better than what Dalai Lamas would have done. Best case scenario - it would have been a idle sleepy tourist spot like Bhutan. Worst case - an opium smuggling corridor and the playground for the world's intelligence agencies. Besides it also is located in a very very strategic position. No country would like to give it up.

But yes, they could have sat with the Dalai Lama(I dont respect him for his politics, Gandhian politics sound good but is a joke), even if just to show the world. Installing a Lama in Lhasa instead is not so smart. But then Dalai has no influence even in India :D So I guess he just does not count. As for the self immolating Lamas - I am sure the Chinese folks would laugh their ***** off it. Hell, I would had I been a Chinese.

Bottomline - China rules it. China is not morally right to rule it. The Chinese civilization is not rooted in Tibet. But it's rule is much better than the feudal lords. The only problem with Chinese rule is that they are painfully close on the Indian border :devil: But unlike our other neighbor, China is smart and inspite of repeated crossing not a single bullet has been fired by EITHER side.

From a comment in this site. FNOTW: China-Tibet: long way conflict (I)

China has the proof to prove that Tibet is a part of China. So does Tibet, Tibetans are capable of proving Tibet is an independent state. However, I was wondering about the motivation or reason why such a small and weak Tibet strongly demand for their freedom from such a huge nation like China, if for the past hundred or thousand years, Tibet is China and Tibetans are Chinese. And why "a renegade for no good reason" fights for their freedom, speaks for their voice in such a hopeless fight. There must be something "not right" here.

Back
Top Bottom