What's new

China successfully launches first Mars mission

The news is incorrect. Russia never landed a rover on Mars. They only rover they put was on the moon.
They actually did during their soviet days. The soviets were actually the first country to soft land on Mars even before the US. However, it didn't function per se, since it transmitted only a gray image with no detail, so communication was lost after just 2 minutes. So mission was declared a failure in that aspect since it didn't meet their required goals(the orbiter carried on working though). So technically they did soft land, but the rover never worked/deployed. So China is the third country to soft land on Mars but will be the second country to deploy a working rover on Mars after the US. However, China is the first country to do so on their first try though.
China lol , try pointing your mouse to the flag and you should get your answer
No meant the other flag(obviously know the Chinese flag. lol ). But yeah I just found out i had to point mouse towards flag, never knew i could find name of country on here by doing so (after years on being on this site. lol ):sick:.
So you are a Chinese living in Djibouti? Interesting. I have been to Djibouti once before. Lovely small country, and very welcoming people.

They actually did during their soviet days. The soviets were actually the first country to soft land on Mars even before the US. However, it didn't function per se, since it transmitted only a gray image with no detail, so communication was lost after just 2 minutes. So mission was declared a failure in that aspect(the orbiter carried on working though). So technically they did soft land, but the rover never worked/deployed. So China is the third country to soft land on Mars but will be the second country to deploy a working rover on Mars after the US. However, China is the first country to do so on their first try though.

What is your definition of a rover? I do not consider a tiny box with a wire attached to the lander and doesn't have any wheels attached to it a rover.

What is your definition of a rover? I do not consider a tiny box with a wire attached to the lander and doesn't have any wheels attached to it a rover.

I said it was the first ever spacecraft to soft land on Mars. Their lander did soft land on Mars, and was the first spacecraft from mankind to soft land on Mars. It's common knowledge, so don't see what's the argument here. The fact of it's weight or that the other mission it was assigned didn't go according to plan is another topic altogether. Plus it was still a major achievement for them considering it was in 1970s when space was still a new frontier. It did encouraged Nasa to strive more and surpass them though(they have since landed and explored mars so many times that it's just routine for them nowadays).

I said it was the first ever spacecraft to soft land on Mars. Their lander did soft land on Mars, and was the first spacecraft from mankind to soft land on Mars. It's common knowledge, so don't see what's the argument here. The fact of it's weight or that the other mission it was assigned didn't go according to plan is another topic altogether. Plus it was still a major achievement for them considering it was in 1970s when space was still a new frontier. It did encouraged Nasa to strive more and surpass them though(they have since landed and explored mars so many times that it's just routine for them nowadays).

You are the one who is arguing that Russia had a rover on Mars, you better read your own comment again. Nobody is saying Russia didn't land on Mars.

There is no evidence Russia landed anything on Mars at all. @mike2000 is back
Actually, the lander landed and stop working less than 2 mins and send back a half crooked photo. China mars lander already surpass anything Soviet Mars mission did. Even that Soviet so called soft landing cannot be credit as success becos it landed so hard that it damaged all system onboard which cause it to function less than desire.

Actually, the lander landed and stop working less than 2 mins and send back a half crooked photo. China mars lander already surpass anything Soviet Mars mission did. Even that Soviet so called soft landing cannot be credit as success becos it landed so hard that it damaged all system onboard which cause it to function less than desire.
I agree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars
Mars 3 is listed as partial success for the lander. It is indeed debatable over that status but if the communication system died after 2 minutes you have to question if it is partial success or failed landing. There's no doubt the landing wasn't soft or else everything should have kept on working but it did came down in one piece. I know Prop-M is referred to as a rover on wiki but for my definition it doesn't pass. So whether China is the 2nd or the 3rd country landed on Mars doesn't matter, some news site says it's 2nd some call it 3rd. For the rover part it isn't even a discussion.

:sarcastic:
006Wji6kgy1gqoj2i9zb0j30vr0hvdi1.jpg

New NASA Administrator Bill Nelson holds up a photo taken by China's Zhurong Mars lander, telling lawmakers the agency needs sustained funding in the face of increased competition in space. / Credit: NASA TV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom