What's new

China Second lowest in Asia-Pacific in English Proficiency.

First of all Chinese and English are incomparable and is very hard for one to learn the other. Secondly, in China, only those have intentions to go colleges and advancements for their careers, a figure of say 50 million, learn some form of English. Out of that number, perhaps, 10% of them learn higher English for the fields they choose. So 5 million Chinese speakers of English out of 1.3 billion people means less than half % speak English.

The true is, away from the big cities in China, no one care to learn English.

First of all Chinese and English are incomparable and is very hard for one to learn the other. Secondly, in China, only those have intentions to go colleges and advancements for their careers, a figure of say 50 million, learn some form of English. Out of that number, perhaps, 10% of them learn higher English for the fields they choose. So 5 million Chinese speakers of English out of 1.3 billion people means less than half % speak English.

The true is, away from the big cities in China, no one care to learn English.

Well that's to be expected. Those who are just working in a factory or tilling their farms have no need to learn English.

Well that's to be expected. Those who are just working in a factory or tilling their farms have no need to learn English.

In HK almost nobody works in farms or factories anymore. The vast majority now work in the tertiary sector.

Still there is no real need to learn English for most people.

I tried tutoring English when I was younger (as unpaid work experience), but many of my students could not carry out a simple conversation in English.

More to the point, they didn't need to.

it is not something to be pround of ....China, Korea, Japan have shown world how to grow without Knowing much of English....They seriously respect their language.

That's the story of indian,not china.India was a colony of british empire,we were not.

Vietnam (31) vs. Thailand (53)
Hm...strange, I cannot understand how it comes to a huge difference?

So, come to china for business, should learn chinese first -
What often happens is a Westerner with that idea goes to China and instead discovers he can't learn Chinese because everybody wants to practice their English on him.

The one success story I know of is an American who went to school in China from ages six to twelve. Not only was he fluent in Chinese, he creamed everybody else at ping-pong.

I think as a chinese teacher will be a good vocation for oversea chinese!
Based on personal experience I suspect if an "oversea Chinese" is proficient enough to speak, read, and write in good Chinese then he or she can earn a lot more money doing something other than teach this language.

Han people show respect for their motherland language. It's advanced in Sciences and Communication, Business and economic. Han characters is the most beautiful in the world.

In HK almost nobody works in farms or factories anymore. The vast majority now work in the tertiary sector.

Still there is no real need to learn English for most people.

I tried tutoring English when I was younger (as unpaid work experience), but many of my students could not carry out a simple conversation in English.

More to the point, they didn't need to.

There's no need to learn any other language if they are just getting jobs or starting businesses that cater only to Chinese, and this isn't limited to China, nor is it especially something to be proud of, or ashamed of if they are not intending to do business outside of China.

If they are and they aren't planning on hiring someone who knows English, they have severely limited their company's prospects.

Because even if the majority of Chinese don't know English, it doesn't change that it is the lingua franca of the world.

Why you seem to see your country's lack of proficiency in English as a point of pride is puzzling to say the least.

Why you seem to see your country's lack of proficiency in English as a point of pride is puzzling to say the least.

When did I say I was "proud" of it? :lol:

Maybe you missed what language we are using right now?

I'm saying that the average Chinese person doesn't need it. It's useful but not a necessity, any companies that plan on doing overseas business can have a few people who are English-language proficient and that is enough.

Countries like America and India have taken the language of England as the official language of their Government, which means that it NEEDS to be used in official contexts. No such necessity exists in East Asia, for better or for worse.

Back
Top Bottom