What's new

China says Turkey president offered support over restive Xinjiang

Yankee-stani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Reuters) - Turkey recognises the fact that the people of China's Xinjiang lead happy lives, Chinese state media on Tuesday cited Turkish President Tayip Erdogan as saying, a region where China has been running a controversial de-radicalisation scheme.

China has faced growing international opprobrium for setting up what it calls vocation training centres to combat extremism in Xinjiang, home to the mostly Muslim Uighur people who speak a Turkic language, which many Western countries view as internment camps.

Turkey is the only Muslim nation to have regularly expressed concern about the situation in Xinjiang, including in February at the U.N. Human Rights Council, to China's anger.

ADVERTISEMENT
But meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing, Erdogan struck a more positive note, according to a Chinese state media read out of the event.

"It is a fact that the peoples of China's Xinjiang region live happily in China's development and prosperity," state television paraphrased Erdogan as saying.

"Turkey does not permit any person to incite disharmony in the Turkey-China relationship. Turkey firmly opposes extremism and is willing to increase mutual political trust with China and strengthen security cooperation."

Xi told Erdogan that the two countries should take practical steps to promote counter-terror cooperation, the report added.

China appreciates Erdogan's numerous comments saying that he will not permit "any forces to carry out anti-China activities in Turkey and attaches great store on Turkey stressing many times its support of China fighting terrorism", Xi added.

Hundreds have died in unrest in recent years in Xinjiang, blamed by Beijing on Islamist extremists and separatists.

Beijing says its de-radicalisation efforts in Xinjiang have brought unprecedented stability, pointing to a lack of violence in the past two years or so.

ANKARA, July 2 (Xinhua) -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's visit to China on Tuesday shows that bilateral relations between the two nations are blossoming and that their interests are aligned, say experts in Turkey.

"The importance of the Turkish President's visit is that it shows clearly that the two countries which share important economic and trade interests are in an uninterrupted high-level dialogue," Altay Atli, a scholar of Istanbul's Koc university, told Xinhua.

"It is of outmost importance that the two nations understand each other," said the expert on the Asian-Pacific and especially China.

As a prelude to their talks in Beijing, Erdogan and Chinese President Xi Jinping met last month on the sidelines of the fifth summit of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, and discussed future areas of cooperation.

During that meeting, Xi said that he highly values China-Turkey relations and is willing to work with Erdogan to translate bilateral friendship into mutual trust and open new chapters in promoting the China-Turkey strategic cooperative relationship.

Erdogan also stressed the importance of bilateral ties. Speaking at Ankara airport last month ahead of his departure to the Group of 20 (G20) summit in Osaka, Japan, Erdogan said that his country values its comprehensive strategic partnership with China.

"We see the need to sustain a strong dialogue with China for the stability of the multilateral trade system," the Turkish leader added.

"There is a real substantial common interest at stake in the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) where Turkey is especially interested in infrastructure and energy projects," said Atli.

The expert mentioned how China agreed to co-develop airline and telecommunication businesses with Turkey within the framework of the BRI.

Observers also emphasized the support given by the Chinese government when the Turkish economy was hit hard by last year's currency turmoil after nearly a decade of strong growth.

When the value of the Turkish currency dropped by more than 40 percent last summer, China loaned 3.6 billion U.S. dollars to fund infrastructure projects in Turkey, a lifesaver for ongoing programs.

"For Turkey, relations with China are relations of opportunity when projects are bases on common interests and are rational for both parties," remarked Hasim Turker, senior researcher at the Ankara-based Bosphorus Center for Asian Studies (BAAM).

Turker told Xinhua that Turkey, as a bridge between Europe and Asia, occupies a strategic position in the BRI, which he described as "a very important initiative for Turkey."

He pointed out that while European countries were actually very eager to join this interregional project, "Turkey doesn't have the luxury not to be an active part of it," as it would reshape future trade routes.

The experts also expressed hope that China could increase its foreign direct investment (FDI) in Turkey.

"We expect from China to build factories in Turkey and produce and add value, that is what Turkey needs at this time," emphasized Atli.

The FDI would represent a non-hegemonic alternative to Western monetary institutions, with whom Turkey has had troubled relations in the past, and helping Ankara in its hour of need would bolster the mutually supportive relations between the two developing countries, experts said

Turkey is just looking out for its own gain. They have enough problems themselves with their stagnant and faltering economy and their geopolitical troubles, they are willing to trade the Uighur issue for substantial Chinese aid. Not that I am a fan of Turkey, it's one of the biggest asshole nations in the world. It has absolutely zero moral standing in criticizing China when Turkey has a long history of genocide and oppression against the Armenians, Kurds and Greeks among many other groups.

China needs to stop this policy of mass punishment in Xinjiang, PERIOD. It is one thing to fight terrorism, it is another thing to disrespect and suffocate a people. It is one thing to punish terrorists, it is another to detain people for their religious practices, squash down on mosques and send Communist party minders to live with Uighur households. Talk about CREEPY AS ALL HELL.

Look, if China really wanted to reduce the tensions in Xinjiang, how about integrating the Uighur language and Chinese language schools and forcing the Han Chinese there to also learn Uighur? Same with Tibet. How about the PRC stick to its initial promise of all ethnic groups being equal under the law and make Han Chinese learn and embrace the local identities instead of having this colonizer's mentality and viewing Uighurs and Tibetans like they are their subjects and possessions. It is creepy and immoral. Everyone knows there is no genuine freedom of expression in Xinjiang or Tibet, so all of the professed allegiances made by Uighurs or Tibetans are done in a highly pressurized situation.

Turkey is just looking out for its own gain. They have enough problems themselves with their stagnant and faltering economy and their geopolitical troubles, they are willing to trade the Uighur issue for substantial Chinese aid. Not that I am a fan of Turkey, it's one of the biggest asshole nations in the world. It has absolutely zero moral standing in criticizing China when Turkey has a long history of genocide and oppression against the Armenians, Kurds and Greeks among many other groups.

China needs to stop this policy of mass punishment in Xinjiang, PERIOD. It is one thing to fight terrorism, it is another thing to disrespect and suffocate a people. It is one thing to punish terrorists, it is another to detain people for their religious practices, squash down on mosques and send Communist party minders to live with Uighur households. Talk about CREEPY AS ALL HELL.

Look, if China really wanted to reduce the tensions in Xinjiang, how about integrating the Uighur language and Chinese language schools and forcing the Han Chinese there to also learn Uighur? Same with Tibet. How about the PRC stick to its initial promise of all ethnic groups being equal under the law and make Han Chinese learn and embrace the local identities instead of having this colonizer's mentality and viewing Uighurs and Tibetans like they are their subjects and possessions. It is creepy and immoral. Everyone knows there is no genuine freedom of expression in Xinjiang or Tibet, so all of the professed allegiances made by Uighurs or Tibetans are done in a highly pressurized situation.
I don't think China did those things claimed by the west, they report 1-3 million Uighurs are being detianed,basically that means you shouldn't see any Uighurs on the street in Xinjiang, this claim just ridiculous, they also reported some bans supposedly imposed by China which don't make any sense in spite of infuriating the locals, no one in their sane mind would do so and we know Chinese leadership is not stupid, where there is an oppression, there is a revolt, but there is no revolts of any kinds in Xinjiang, facts speak louder than words.

Last edited:
I don't think China did those things claimed by the west, they report 1-3 million Uighurs are being detianed,basically that means you shouldn't see any Uighurs on the street in Xinjiang, this claim just ridiculous, they also reported some bans supposedly imposed by China which don't make any sense in spite of infuriating the locals, no one in their sane mind would do so and we know Chinese leadership is not stupid, where there is an oppression, there is a revolt, but there is no revolts of any kinds in Xinjiang, facts speak louder than words.

I don't believe the figures that 1-3 million Uighurs are detained. But I am sure it's probably 100,000-300,000 or so. It's also without a doubt that the Chinese government keeps an iron grip on this region and have a large number of cultural restrictions on the Uighurs. I guess it is normal for the citizens of the PRC to see Uighurs having to rote repeat that they love the Communist Party and that the Communist Party is great, but this type of brainwashing is very creepy for anybody who lives in a society where there is the right to free expression.

Uighurs are oppressed, PERIOD. I don't care how much the people here like to justify it by talking about all the development happening in Xinjiang. If you were a Uighur, you wouldn't want to have to live by the rules of another culture. Respect their culture and let them breathe goddamnit.

I don't believe the figures that 1-3 million Uighurs are detained. But I am sure it's probably 100,000-300,000 or so.
Everyone can have their own guess, that's what a forum is all about, lol..

I guess it is normal for the citizens of the PRC to see Uighurs having to rote repeat that they love the Communist Party and that the Communist Party is great, but this type of brainwashing is very creepy for anybody who lives in a society where there is the right to free expression.
You guess? so you'd never been a Chinese citizen? I thought you were Chinese.

Uighurs are oppressed, PERIOD. I don't care how much the people here like to justify it by talking about all the development happening in Xinjiang. If you were a Uighur, you wouldn't want to have to live by the rules of another culture. Respect their culture and let them breathe goddamnit.
Everyone is oppressed more or less, many Chinese living overseas live by the rules of another culture, if you can have a good life, you would like to live in whatever culture.

Everyone is oppressed more or less, many Chinese living overseas live by the rules of another culture, if you can have a good life, you would like to live in whatever culture.

Exactly.

Chinese minorities actually benefit from much more privileges. Han Chinese followed One Child Policy for about 40 years, otherwise, we will be 1.8 billions, we will be as crowed as India. Our Han Chinese sacrificed much more than any minorities in China. In the opposite, the minorities do NOT need to follow One Child Policy at all, the Uighur population tripled.

Chinese minorities also benefit from the affirmative action of entrance examination. That's huge benefit.

There are much more benefit for minorities, such as tax exemption, infrastructure investment, education investment, medical care. I will not list all of them here.

The life expectancy in Xinjiang is 74 (men), 79 (women) UN, World Bank, 2017 China Statistical Yearbook. much higher than Central Asia countries with similar climate and environment, higher than average middle east countries with higher GDP per capita.

@beijingwalker @OsmanAli98

This a great example of ignoring the armchair politicians in this forum and following what the leaders decide. End of the day those who hate China are irrelevant and that puts a smile on my face knowing this reality angers them. China is one ally the Muslim world can rely on, and Pakistan will be the gateway to connect that bridge.

I'm an American of Chinese descent. I just put up the Chinese flag on my avatar so members here know I am Chinese American. I was born and raised in the US. China is not my country.

It doesn't matter what I say. What is clear is that Uighurs live in an oppressive environment. The only thing we can debate is the extent. But them being oppressed, it's a fact.

Your analogy with Chinese who live overseas is quite ridiculous. They moved overseas on their own accord. A lot of Chinese nationals who move overseas don't even try to learn English or adapt to the local culture, they just live in their own bubble buying up expensive houses, driving expensive cars and interacting very awkwardly with the locals.

The Uighurs are natives to Xinjiang, they are being occupied, Han Chinese are swamping into their land and their culture is being disrespected and strangled by the Chinese government.

Exactly.

Chinese minorities actually benefit from much more privileges. Han Chinese followed One Child Policy for about 40 years, otherwise, we will be 1.8 billions, we will be as crowed as India. Our Han Chinese sacrificed much more than any minorities in China. In the opposite, the minorities do NOT need to follow One Child Policy at all, the Uighur population tripled.

Chinese minorities also benefit from the affirmative action of entrance examination. That's huge benefit.

There are much more benefit for minorities, such as tax exemption, infrastructure investment, education investment, medical care. I will not list all of them here.

The life expectancy in Xinjiang is 74 (men), 79 (women) UN, World Bank, 2017 China Statistical Yearbook. much higher than Central Asia countries with similar climate and environment, higher than average middle east countries with higher GDP per capita.

The problem with how many Chinese view issues is that they only view things solely on economic terms. So if they made a territory more developed, that's good enough. I understand that Uighurs get affirmative action programs, that's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that they are being treated as second class citizens in their own homeland, or large numbers are being put in detention camps being forced to take part in crude propaganda or worse, or that their culture is being disrespected. The fact that Chinese people think everything should be defined in economic terms reflects their over-materialistic worldview and why even though China is the world's second largest economy, has ZERO soft power and is generally disliked and distrusted by most other countries. While the US government is generally disliked by most other countries, Americans are usually well liked and American culture is very powerful and popular throughout the world. China has a serious problem with communication, PR, empathy and winning the hearts and minds of others. When someone values your relationship solely for economic benefit, you are just a wallet and nothing more.

I'm an American of Chinese descent. I just put up the Chinese flag on my avatar so members here know I am Chinese American. I was born and raised in the US. China is not my country.

It doesn't matter what I say. What is clear is that Uighurs live in an oppressive environment. The only thing we can debate is the extent. But them being oppressed, it's a fact.

Your analogy with Chinese who live overseas is quite ridiculous. They moved overseas on their own accord. A lot of Chinese nationals who move overseas don't even try to learn English or adapt to the local culture, they just live in their own bubble buying up expensive houses, driving expensive cars and interacting very awkwardly with the locals.

The Uighurs are natives to Xinjiang, they are being occupied, Han Chinese are swamping into their land and their culture is being disrespected and strangled by the Chinese government.

The problem with how many Chinese view issues is that they only view things solely on economic terms. So if they made a territory more developed, that's good enough. I understand that Uighurs get affirmative action programs, that's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that they are being treated as second class citizens in their own homeland, or large numbers are being put in detention camps being forced to take part in crude propaganda or worse, or that their culture is being disrespected. The fact that Chinese people think everything should be defined in economic terms reflects their over-materialistic worldview and why even though China is the world's second largest economy, has ZERO soft power and is generally disliked and distrusted by most other countries. While the US government is generally disliked by most other countries, Americans are usually well liked and American culture is very powerful and popular throughout the world. China has a serious problem with communication, PR, empathy and winning the hearts and minds of others. When someone values your relationship solely for economic benefit, you are just a wallet and nothing more.

I decide not to argue with you on every aspects. You are born and raise in America. I come to US in 2005. We are educated by and believe different philosophy. We observe/experienced the world differently.

Just one thing as kindly reminder. Compare China history in 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st century. I am 10 years older than you. I lived in China when China was still very poor. I can't bla, bla bla for whole day without bread and clothes.

Soft power, what soft power? Genocide American Indians? Destroy Iraq for fake WMD proof and killed half a millions people? Colonize and Slaughter Filipinos? Legalize super pact and corruption? Elect Trump and Ivanka&Kushner family clown?

THE U.S. HAS BEEN AT WAR 222 OUT OF 239 YEARS

There is no such soft power, only English hegemony, culture hegemony, military hegemony, monetary hegemony and fears inherited from hundreds years of The Great British Colonization.

A real soft power(王道) must base on humanity not hegemony (霸道). America and Americans has no mercy.

Poll: More than a third would support pre-emptive nuclear strike on North Korea

王道 vs 霸道

Last edited:
Good to know, overseas China can be very pro or against China, Gordon Chang is a very good example.

I don't believe the figures that 1-3 million Uighurs are detained. But I am sure it's probably 100,000-300,000 or so. It's also without a doubt that the Chinese government keeps an iron grip on this region and have a large number of cultural restrictions on the Uighurs. I guess it is normal for the citizens of the PRC to see Uighurs having to rote repeat that they love the Communist Party and that the Communist Party is great, but this type of brainwashing is very creepy for anybody who lives in a society where there is the right to free expression.

Let me tell you something. China does not have any problems with Islam. Hui Muslim in China is very well assimilated into China and they are one of the most successful Muslim minorities in the world.

The problem China has is with extremism, separatism, and terrorism. Xinjiang is near to some of the worst terrorist regions in the world like Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Kashmir. Do you know that thousands of bombs have been seized in Xinjiang just last year? If you are American then you should know what happened when the Confederate states tried to secede from the Union? Religious extremism and political extremism is very real today, but Americans who live on an isolated continent thinks their situations and laws apply everywhere. They do not.

Do you know how the USA combat terrorism? It invades other countries, take their resources, and kill many of the 'potential terrorists' before they actually become one. The American media and politics are manipulated at the highest level to block truths from the American people so that they can fight these endless wars and make a profit. And when you think you're done with them, you just leave. This is your version of respect?

It's good that rising power China will become a check on the USA so that it cannot oppress the world any longer.

Good to know, overseas China can be very pro or against China, Gordon Chang is a very good example.

I'm not Gordon Chang, he's an idiot. I am not pro or against China, I legitimately criticize both and all countries. I am generally very critical about US foreign policy, but I am also very critical about China's treatment of Uighurs and Tibetans and the general lack of free expression and protection of individual rights.

Let me tell you something. China does not have any problems with Islam. Hui Muslim in China is very well assimilated into China and they are one of the most successful Muslim minorities in the world.

The problem China has is with extremism, separatism, and terrorism. Xinjiang is near to some of the worst terrorist regions in the world like Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Kashmir. Do you know that thousands of bombs have been seized in Xinjiang just last year? If you are American then you should know what happened when the Confederate states tried to secede from the Union? Religious extremism and political extremism is very real today, but Americans who live on an isolated continent thinks their situations and laws apply everywhere. They do not.

Do you know how the USA combat terrorism? It invades other countries, take their resources, and kill many of the 'potential terrorists' before they actually become one. The American media and politics are manipulated at the highest level to block truths from the American people so that they can fight these endless wars and make a profit. And when you think you're done with them, you just leave. This is your version of respect?

It's good that rising power China will become a check on the USA so that it cannot oppress the world any longer.

I am not defending America's foreign policy which I am generally a fierce opponent of.

I am not criticizing China's fight against terrorists either. I am criticizing China's use of mass punishment against the Uighurs, which will inevitably cause more resentment and backlash.

I am actually very familiar with China's relationships with Islam, I have been to all of the Western provinces so I know very well the differences between Hui Muslim and Uighurs and Kazakhs and Tajiks. I am talking about the situation with Uighurs and to a slighter extent, Kazakhs.

Ask yourself why there is so much resentment today? Ask yourself why there is rising terrorism today from the Uighurs? You don't think China's own domestic policies created the sense of alienation and anger? China is flooding the region with Han Chinese. Uighurs went from occupying 90% of the population in 1949 to only occupying 40%. Uighurs have to learn Mandarin, but Han Chinese do not learn Uighur even if they lived in Xinjiang their whole lives. Plus Han Chinese do not respect their culture. Their presence in Xinjiang causes more tension because they dominate the economy, society and culture.

Chinese people in general have an issue dealing with those of other races and cultures, they do not know how to interact with others as an equal. They act as inferiors to White Westerners, but they act as superiors and with arrogance against groups they consider inferior, like Uighurs and when overseas, Africans, Southeast Asians, etc.

China's problems in Xinjiang are an extension of this problem.

I decide not to argue with you on every aspects. You are born and raise in America. I come to US in 2005. We are educated by and believe different philosophy. We observe/experienced the world differently.

Just one thing as kindly reminder. Compare China history in 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st century. I am 10 years older than you. I lived in China when China was still very poor. I can't bla, bla bla for whole day without bread and clothes.

Soft power, what soft power? Genocide American Indians? Destroy Iraq for fake WMD proof and killed half a millions people? Colonize and Slaughter Filipinos? Legalize super pact and corruption? Elect Trump and Ivanka&Kushner family clown?

THE U.S. HAS BEEN AT WAR 222 OUT OF 239 YEARS

There is no such soft power, only English hegemony, culture hegemony, military hegemony, monetary hegemony and fears inherited from hundreds years of The Great British Colonization.

A real soft power(王道) must base on humanity not hegemony (霸道). America and Americans has no mercy.

Poll: More than a third would support pre-emptive nuclear strike on North Korea

王道 vs 霸道

I'm more than aware of all the atrocities the US government has committed. I am not a supporter of US foreign policy, I'm a huge critic of it. Just because the US is bad, does not mean China is good. Both countries are terrible in different ways. Mainly the US commits evil against non-citizens, while China often commits evil against it's own supposed citizens.

Yes, the US committed many evils. The difference is that in the US, minorities can vent and express their anger. They can speak from the heart and against the forces of power. When you don't allow people to express themselves, then they build in their anger. You won't resolve the problems at the core, instead you just sweep it under the rug.

In China, Uighurs cannot do that. Instead you have this. If you don't think this is extremely creepy, then I don't know what to say.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom