What's new

China says ready for talks with India over UNSC reform

I like to say good move but fingers crossed until it actually happen, and that requires minimum of 5 years.....!

Sir one question can anyone veto the selection of new permanent member for UNSC as it will be in UN general assembly.

The answer is no,well they can veto a particular resolution,such as SC expansion,but when it is passed they cant veto a particular nation,their power is only limited upto SC,not in the voting ballot of general assembly

The answer is no,well they can veto a particular resolution,such as SC expansion,but when it is passed they cant veto a particular nation,their power is only limited upto SC,not in the voting ballot of general assembly

The USA and China both support India for a permanent seat, but have not stated their positions on whether or not to include a veto power with that. Until all P5 members support it, or at least agree not to veto it, the resolution will not pass.

It's still up for negotiation.

And if there is any chance that Japan will get a permanent seat, China will veto it.

Ok..how much possible it is that , India enters as a permanent member without the veto power and later on gets it.

Ok..how much possible it is that , India enters as a permanent member without the veto power and later on gets it.

I think that is the best way forward.

If India wants it could probably negotiate to get the veto power first... but either way I don't see it as a big deal. The only thing that changes is the time frame, sooner or later there will be UNSC reform.

I'm glad to know that China realizes and respects India's ambitions. Together India and China will be great partners of the future.

Sure. It can even stop someone from joining the UN at the 'basic level"... let alone the security council.

For example, Taiwan is not allowed to join the UN. You can check this for yourself.

No sir, Taiwan is another case. Its not independent country as per UN and most of the country don't recognize it. I think if anyone get enough vote in UN general assembly then no one can stop it and there is no question of veto as its matter of UNGA, not UNSC.

The long road ahead: India’s run at Security Council

India’s two-year term on the United Nations Security Council or UNSC will conclude on December 31, 2012, but India is unlikely to leave the Council for years beyond that date, if ever. And US President Barack Obama’s ringing endorsement for India to occupy a permanent seat on the Council has just cemented that position. In essence, capturing the non-permanent seat has led to a situation of “permanence” for India at the high table.
There are two scenarios facing India: of an interim arrangement and of permanent reform. One or the other is almost certain to come through before the end of India’s two-year term as a non-permanent member on the UNSC from the Asia region.

“We have no intention of leaving the Security Council. We are working to dovetail one into the other,” a senior diplomat noted. The implication there was that India would continue on the Council either through an interim solution or if a permanent solution is found, for which negotiations are in progress at the United Nations. That latter process is expected to conclude by early 2012.

Diplomats at India’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York said that the American President’s endorsement had had an “electrifying effect” with regard to hastening the reform process. They also said the US President’s statement would help “silence the skeptics”.

India’s case will be bolstered by additional endorsements in the weeks ahead, with both French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Russian President Dmitri Medvedev expected to reaffirm their nations’ support for India to be at the high table of the UN, during their respective visits to India next month.

The only permanent member of the UNSC yet to endorse India is China but even if that does not occur, all indications are that it may not veto a decision of the UN General Assembly to add countries to permanent positions, including India.

But the middle ground is being explored as well and is expected to be enunciated by the French President. That calculus sees new members being voted to the UNSC with terms of eight years or more. These members can be reelected with an “automatic lock in” when it comes to the “final solution”, which would be permanent status when the reform process is completed.

The US President’s announcement has also changed the dynamic in another way. While earlier there were voices saying that UNSC reform could take many years more, it may have injected greater impetus to the process.

The long road ahead: India?s run at Security Council - Hindustan Times

No sir, Taiwan is another case. Its not independent country as per UN and most of the country don't recognize it. I think if anyone get enough vote in UN general assembly then no one can stop it and there is no question of veto as its matter of UNGA, not UNSC.

OK I'll rephrase and say that if there is any chance that Japan might get a permanent seat from the GA voting, China will veto the entire resolution. So it won't even get to the general assembly.

To get through, you will need a clause in the resolution that does not allow Japan to be voted in.

I'm glad to know that China realizes and respects India's ambitions. Together India and China will be great partners of the future.

There is a difference between realizing or recognizing something, and respecting it. I noticed that you added the word "respect" of your own accord and that it is not attributed to the Chinese spokesperson in the original article.

Have you encountered another version of this article somewhere where China officially says that they "respect" India's ambitions, or where you just making stuff up.

Just wanted a clarification.

There is a difference between realizing or recognizing something, and respecting it. I noticed that you added the word "respect" of your own accord and that it is not attributed to the Chinese spokesperson in the original article.

Have you encountered another version of this article somewhere where China officially says that they "respect" India's ambitions, or where you just making stuff up.

Can you please clarify why it makes a difference?

So even if the article fails to mention the word "respect" (clutching straws IMO), are you claiming that the Chinese dont respect our rise?

And if so, can you point out specifics as to where China humbles our rise?

I might be reading into this...but I feel so are you...

But this is definitely not veto right.....

Can you please clarify why it makes a difference?

So even if the article fails to mention the word "respect" (clutching straws IMO), are you claiming that the Chinese dont respect our rise?

If you think this is clutching at straws, then you are clearly unfamiliar with diplomatic parlance and the fact that a single word makes a huge difference in an official statement.

If you didn't get it, you don't have to respond. Just move along.

The heart of the matter is that China is not at all supporting what you guys think it is supporting. They are talking about changing the current composition of the Security Council through "reasonable" structural reforms. That is the position Pakistan is also taking. And if you still don't get it, this position is not in India's interests. It will take a hell of a long time to sort out these structural reforms as it will involve a large number of players. Proposals have been floated concerning an OIC seat, an Arab seat, EU seats, Japanese, Brazilian and German seats and more. Good luck getting all of this squared away.

And if so, can you point out specifics as to where China humbles our rise?

I would call crossing over into territory that India considers its own and dumping garbage just to make a point, pretty humbling. And if that isn't enough perhaps refusing to stamp visas on Indian passports would tip the scales? Shall we go on?

I might be reading into this...but I feel so are you...

I am just pointing out that the originally cited poster felt somehow compelled to embellish the truth and in doing so, altered it. I wonder why he would be so keen to twist words to conjure up visions of China patting India's back.

I also believe 4 out of the 5 members of the coffee club need to be brought on board....something Im sure India is planning for.....

Everyone is aware of the 5th member.....expect the Kashmir bogey to be on full flow and expect their proxies to really shine (26/11 style) to highlight the cause....
India must prepare some constructive steps to appease the Kashmiris before we go for the vote....but thats just me

@ Siva. With all due respect, you'd be well advised to focus on the trip's impact on India-China relations.
Let Pakistanis worry about their nation.
btw post reported

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom