What's new

China says ready for talks with India over UNSC reform

I think the PROCESS will formally start by then, and will drag on for a few years after that.

I have no doubt India will get a permanent seat in due course, it is just that there will be a fairly complex process of negotiations that will take place before anything concrete happens.

Agreed but I think most of the complex process of negotiation with most most the countries are over except few like China. Including Russia, UK, France, US, Germany, Japan, South Africa, Brazil, ASEAN, African Union etc all major powers. Also the way India got huge supports in various UN elections recently also indicator of early reforms.

Agreed but I think most of the complex process of negotiation with most most the countries are over except few like China. Including Russia, UK, France, US, Germany, Japan, South Africa, Brazil, ASEAN, African Union etc all major powers. Also the way India got huge supports in various UN elections recently also indicator of early reforms.

The really complex negotitations are yet to start.

An agreement in principle to support India's seat is very different than a commitment for an actual vote when the resolution is tabled.

Right now, everybody might say that it is a good idea, but behind the scenes, everybody will jockey for their own advantage, with India, as well as one another.

That will take several years at least to sort out.

Good news..Can't say anything else
Germany and Japan are also in the race..
Guys can anyone clearly summarize who supports japan and germany..?

nothing more than just diplomatic hand shaking

If china's policy is against India,India policy is also anti China,it will create a whole lot of new trouble for China if it endorse and vote for India for a place in UNSC.

similarly i dont even believe US is also keen on voting for India knowingly that India is one of those territory from which it is going to face big competition in the very near future.

Good news..Can't say anything else
Germany and Japan are also in the race..
Guys can anyone clearly summarize who supports japan and germany..?

Japan and Germany will not get permanent seats.

1) Japan's bid will be vetoed by China. Not only because of historical war crimes, but because Japan will only vote in alignment with the USA. South Korea also opposes Japan.

2) Europe already has TWO seats, Britain and France. There is no chance that the EU will get another seat. Germany will end up having to share a seat with France.

Plus both Japan and Germany have "pacifist constitutions" as a result of losing WW2. So what use will they be in the security council?

The only two powers in the G4 that have a good chance of becoming permanent members are India and Brazil.

Last edited:
Japan is supported by all except China.....and Germany is also supported by all but not to worry there will 3 countries that will inducted into the UNSC ...and India has a greater chance than Brazil and South Africa

@CD: And that's why I think that the stand of these countries that 'all or none' is plain stupid and self-destructive from India's POV.

nothing more than just diplomatic hand shaking

If china's policy is against India,India policy is also anti China,it will create a whole lot of new trouble for China if it endorse and vote for India for a place in UNSC.

similarly i dont even believe US is also keen on voting for India knowingly that India is one of those territory from which it is going to face big competition in the very near future.
WELL LET'S SEE wat happens in future...
China will 100% not vote,it's just an act...If they stop issuing stapled visas,and keeping their presence out of *** then it's good for both..
And as the history says:-Never ever trust americans 100%..
But 100% Russia supports us..

@CD: And that's why I think that the stand of these countries that 'all or none' is plain stupid and self-destructive from India's POV.

Exactly right. :tup:

That's why I think India and Brazil should make their own independent bids.

Guys isn't that a rule that countries with big armed forces and Nuke can be Permanent members ...
Japan has less forces and germany have lost in WW2 and both of em don't hav nukes..
i might be wrong please correct me

Japan and Germany will not get permanent seats.

1) Japan's bid will be vetoed by China. Not only because of historical war crimes, but because Japan will only vote in alignment with the USA. South Korea also opposes Japan.

2) Europe already has TWO seats, Britain and France. There is no chance that the EU will get another seat. Germany will end up having to share a seat with France.

Plus both Japan and Germany have "pacifist constitutions" as a result of losing WW2. So what use will they be in the security council?

The only two powers in the G4 that have a good chance of becoming permanent members are India and Brazil.

Sir one question can anyone veto the selection of new permanent member for UNSC as it will be in UN general assembly.

Ten years from now we'll still be talking about the expansion of the UN security council. Everybody will still be making the right noises but nobody is keen on diluting its power. Even the US is opposed to grant veto power to new members. If aspiring nations insist on having veto power, nothing is going to happen.

Sir one question can anyone veto the selection of new permanent member for UNSC as it will be in UN general assembly.

Sure. It can even stop someone from joining the UN at the 'basic level"... let alone the security council.

For example, Taiwan is not allowed to join the UN. You can check this for yourself.

Japan has less forces and germany have lost in WW2 and both of em don't hav nukes..
i might be wrong please correct me

Japan's "pacifist constitution" prevents them from even making the THREAT of force. So what is the point of having them on the security council...

Also Japan is a declining power, and their vote will only go to support the USA. It is utterly pointless to include them, and they will be vetoed anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom