What's new

China says citizens arrested in India were tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this "soap episodes" will end soon, if not, won't be surprise if some Indian "spies" may got pickup soon, people still remember 4 Japanese were being caught spying in China a while back during the captain of the Chinese fishing boat was arrested by Japanese? games like this is nothing new, you ask for it, better prepare for it.
IMO, they will be release very soon. GOI is no dumy.

I believe the "suspected spy" bit came from the media.

That is something concerns me.

I don't know what charges have been filed or if any at all. It will come to light soon.

If you are not sure they are spies, how come you already deem them as spies. You are even sure what charges have been filed against them, what the hell are you arguing?

As i have said earlier a few times they probably aren't spies, but India as a sovereign country has every right to do its investigation and then let the Chinese nationals go .:

When did we deny your right to investigate? You should investigate, but before finishing that you can't call them spies.

And with risk of going off-topic, I can't believe that the Chinese members here are so outraged at this. Did you guys here about the Rio-Tinto official case in China?. It made the headlines here in Australia and the way you guys handled it, this case in India seems pretty standard procedure to me.
:cheers:

The case was closed, the suspect was charged with spying and was proved to be a real spy. What is your problem with that case? And what is the association between the two?

I ask you again, were the Chinese tourists charged with spying by Indian authority?

LOL, so this prima facie charge of being spies, has come from the Indian MEDIA, and NOT from the Indian government, or the Indian judiciary.

This is the whole crux of the argument. That the Indian media has essentially accused three Chinese people of being spies, without them actually being formally charged under any such crimes.

Then we have Indian members here claiming that it is "self-evident", even though their own Judiciary has not actually charged them with anything.

Then the Chinese citizens should sue Indian media, we have provision for this.

Hopefully this "soap episodes" will end soon, if not, won't be surprise if some Indian "spies" may got pickup soon, people still remember 4 Japanese were being caught spying in China a while back during the captain of the Chinese fishing boat was arrested by Japanese? games like this is nothing new, you ask for it, better prepare for it.
IMO, they will be release very soon. GOI is no dumy.

Yes i to believe the same,what we all r hearing is the media's version,not the actual,but i am very much eager to know what's the real situation when GoI announce it.

Anyway tit for tat is not a good idea,especially because such soap episodes never stop.

Then the Chinese citizens should sue Indian media, we have provision for this.

We don't have a culture of suing people over here like they do in America, although I suppose it will certainly be a possibility, depending on how this progresses from here.

Although, the threat of being sued doesn't seem to have stopped the Indian media from hurling out sensationalist headlines.

They never were proved Smugglers Until Now.... You have to apologise If you expect an Apology from us If These So called Tourist If At all ever are Proved Not Spies....

Then I guess the case is still not closed, which means they might not be innocent. And they were charged with smuggling, so we didn't make any mistake for calling them "suspected" smugglers

Chinese Tourists were arrested for Not Showing Proper travel documents, While Taking photographs of Indian Strategic Installations And Carrying an Indian Pan card....

But they were not arrested for spying, right?

Why would they carry an Indian pan card?? Whats the Use of an Indian pan card to them??

Ask your police to find out, before that refrain yourself from calling people with a Indian pan card spy.

We don't have a culture of suing people over here like they do in America, although I suppose it will certainly be a possibility, depending on how this progresses from here.

The threat of being sued doesn't seem to have stopped the Indian media from hurling out sensationalist headlines though.

then its ur problem,not our,anyway when u feel u can convert to american faith u r welcome to India courts(warning-here a case run for decades).

LOL, so this prima facie charge of being spies, has come from the Indian MEDIA, and NOT from the Indian government, or the Indian judiciary.

This is the whole crux of the argument. That the Indian media has essentially accused three Chinese people of being spies, without them actually being formally charged under any such crimes.

Then we have Indian members here claiming that it is "self-evident", even though their own Judiciary has not actually charged them with anything.

There is a line between a suspected, accused and charged. I hope you are aware of that, if not then find out .

Here's the statement of the Superintendent of Police and appeared in the news paper article

Superintendent of Police Sanjay Kakkar told TOI that SSB jawans held three Chinese nationals, Mipix Utidong, Hanksang and Chainlong, all residents of Shanghai, on Monday night. The Chinese nationals were spotted taking photographs of the SSB camp, Indo-Nepal gate and activities of the SSB. Kakkar added that they did not possess passports and visas and entered Indian territory illegally. The SP said that during interrogation, the Chinese nationals claimed that they were engineers working in Nepal on a Chinese project.

Intelligence agencies deployed on the Indo-Nepal border are interrogating them through translators. During interrogation it was learnt that they had arrived by a vehicle till the border, parked the vehicle there and then entered Indian territory on foot.

SSB Commandant Devanand said that prima facie it seemed that they had come here as spies. He said that three other Chinese were held recently while taking pictures and sent to Delhi after interrogation.

:cheers:

Although, the threat of being sued doesn't seem to have stopped the Indian media from hurling out sensationalist headlines.

That means they must have something to substantiate the claim on court.

And yeah, here is what they have.

Superintendent of Police Sanjay Kakkar told TOI that SSB jawans held three Chinese nationals, Mipix Utidong, Hanksang and Chainlong, all residents of Shanghai, on Monday night. The Chinese nationals were spotted taking photographs of the SSB camp, Indo-Nepal gate and activities of the SSB. Kakkar added that they did not possess passports and visas and entered Indian territory illegally. The SP said that during interrogation, the Chinese nationals claimed that they were engineers working in Nepal on a Chinese project.

Intelligence agencies deployed on the Indo-Nepal border are interrogating them through translators. During interrogation it was learnt that they had arrived by a vehicle till the border, parked the vehicle there and then entered Indian territory on foot.

SSB Commandant Devanand said that prima facie it seemed that they had come here as spies. He said that three other Chinese were held recently while taking pictures and sent to Delhi after interrogation

That means they must have something to substantiate the claim on court.

And yeah, here is what they have.

So basically, they HAVE NOT been charged with being spies.

Yet the Indian media doesn't want to wait until the charge comes out, they want to make their own charges.

Is it wrong of me... to think that they should have waited for the charges to come out, before making such a serious and life-changing accusation...

In the past, a Roman would simply utter the words, Civilus Romanus, and be able to walk in foreign lands with no fear, as all feared the power of Rome. During the Han Dynasty, someone who even looked Chinese could wander into barbarian lands with no fear, because Hanwu said, 犯我强汉者,虽远必诛!Today, what happens? Our citizens get arrested for no reason other than forgetting their documents!

In the future, I hope that we must only utter the words 中国, and people would think twice.

"Suspected" spies based on prima facie evidence? Says who? Indian authority or Indian media?

Tell me what charge has been filed against the Chinese tourists by Indian authority.

Are they charged with illegally entering India soil or spying in India?

If they are arrested under the charge of crossing the border illegally, why they become suspected spies on newspaper?

Actually the Indian media would have reported this after being tipped off. I also think you need to understand how exactly the police would have gone about this. The persons concerned would be taken into custody charged with illegal entry even if they were being suspected of doing other stuff. This part is proven & easy to get a remand from the judge. The investigation follows & if they decide to charge them with further offences, they may do so.

It has been reported that one of the arrested Chinese nationals had an Indian PAN card & that they tried to initially pass themselves as Indian nationals. If this is true, then these people are in much more serious trouble than they would be if they merely crossed the border by mistake. This is also bad news for Huawei Technologies if they are indeed their workers. They have had a tough few years trying to convince Indian authorities that their equipment would not be used for spying & the Indian Intelligence services are still suspicious of them. This incident could not have come at a worse time for them.

Yet the Indian media doesn't want to wait until the charge comes out, they want to make their own charges.

Is it wrong of me... to think that they should have waited for the charges to come out, before making such a serious and life-changing accusation...

The correct headline should have been, Chinese citizens accused of spying based on prima facie.

They didn't mention the prima facie to make the headline eye-catching. However they do mention it in the main article to perevent lawsuit.

They do this sort of things in internal matters as well, this the ill of having corporate driven media houses.

Suspect and Charged are not the same! What does Chinese police do if they suspect someone of say murder? Do they let them roam free till they have gathered evidence and then lock em up or do they lock em up as soon as they suspect them?

Besides this case involve foreign nationals. Don't think India has repatriation treaty with China, so we can't just let them go without conducting investigation. So the presumption of innocence works the other way round in this case. Guilty until proven innocent.:)

They do this sort of things in internal matters as well, this the ill of having corporate driven media houses.

Yeah, we have corporate-driven media houses in Hong Kong as well.

One or two are quite sensationalist, but I would be surprised if they said something like this.

Anyway, I want to wait and see what the charges will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom