What's new

Featured China reignites coal project in Pakistan after Australia spat

Shahzaz ud din

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
China reignites coal project in Pakistan after Australia spat

Thar field designed for domestic power but might increase Beijing's options

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F0%2F7%2F0%2F2%2F28902070-7-eng-GB%2FRTX6P3T1%20%E3%81%AE%E3%82%B3%E3%83%92%E3%82%9A%E3%83%BC.jpg

KARACHI -- As tensions grow between China and Australia, the superpower's main coal supplier, work is being stepped up in Pakistan's largest coalfield on a project conceived to feed local power plants, but which some experts believe might provide Beijing with an option for an alternative source of coal.

After months of delay due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some 500 employees of Shanghai Electric Power arrived in Pakistan earlier this month to work on the $1.9 billion Thar Block-I integrated coal mine and power project located in the country's southeastern desert region of Tharparkar.

Wholly owned by China, the project is a key component in the $50 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), itself a significant part of Chinese President Xi Jinping's flagship Belt and Road Initiative.

The project revolves around an open-pit mine capable of supplying 6.8 million tons of lignite annually to two onsite 660 megawatt power plants.

In 2011, the Thar Block-I coalfield was leased for 30 years to a Chinese company, Sino-Sindh Resources, that is now a subsidiary of Shanghai Electric.

The electricity generated will feed Pakistan's national grid, with the first power plant due to come online by August 2022, and the second the following February.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F5%2F0%2F1%2F6%2F28876105-4-eng-GB%2FCropped-1597729073RTS1EETI.JPG

The Thar coalfield covers more than 9,000 sq. km of desert in Sindh province close to the border with India. It is Pakistan's largest coal reserve with an estimated 175 billion tons, and is the world's seventh largest lignite field. Pakistan's long-term plan is to develop the entire Thar coalfield in 12 blocks. Work on four of these is already underway with Chinese involvement.

Pakistan urgently needs to develop indigenous energy sources to overcome a crippling 3,000 MW domestic power shortage at peak times and dependence on fuel imports. China is offering hydro, coal, solar and wind solutions through CPEC.

"The development of energy plants is crucial for Pakistan as it wishes to industrialize and also to meet increasing demand due to its rapidly growing population," Zahid Ahmed, research fellow at Australia-based Deakin University's Institute for Citizenship and Globalization, told the Nikkei Asian Review.

The acceleration of work on the Thar Block-I project comes at a time when China's thermal coal imports from Australia are being curtailed by Beijing. A diplomatic spat escalated into a trade war earlier this year after Prime Minister Scott Morrison called for an independent investigation into the COVID-19 pandemic.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F5%2F9%2F0%2F8%2F28898095-4-eng-GB%2Fchinas-major-coal-suppliers-in-2018.png

China, the world's largest coal consumer, is struggling to wean itself off imported coal. Beijing's main state planning body, the National Development and Reform Commission, has reportedly instructed state-owned utility companies not to buy Australian thermal coal.

Some wonder if China is in the market for a new coal supplier, but Imtiaz Shaikh, the energy minister of Sindh province, told Nikkei that Shanghai Electric has not expressed any intent to import Pakistani coal. He said the cost of the Thar Block-I project could be as high as $2.5 billion.

"We are not currently operating at a size and scale to emerge as a player in international markets," Syed Abul Fazal Rizvi, chief executive of Sindh Engro Coal Mining, a private Pakistani company operating in Thar Block-II, told Nikkei. "Our immediate focus is to indigenize Pakistan's own energy mix so that we can reduce our country's dependence on foreign fuels."

Some experts believe, however, that China can fall back on its investments in Pakistani coal to help meet domestic energy needs in the event of soured relations with existing trade partners or geopolitical tensions in the South China Sea.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticleimage%2F2%2F2%2F5%2F9%2F28879522-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-1597739300RTX2N4P6.JPG

Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Asia program at the Wilson Center, a Washington think tank, said that it is natural for China to double down on its safest and strongest relationships to pursue its economic and energy interests when there are diplomatic tensions with a number of countries.

"Pakistan is arguably China's closest ally, and so it's a natural partner to look to -- especially given the long track record of Chinese energy infrastructure projects [in Pakistan]," Kugelman told Nikkei. "Geography and geopolitics give China strong confidence about Pakistan as a supply route for coal imports. It's a bordering state, and it's a state with a deep alliance with China."

Ahmed of Deakin University said that a full suspension of Australian coal exports to China is unlikely, but that does not preclude exploring alternative sources in Pakistan.

Monique Taylor, lecturer in world politics at the University of Helsinki, noted that the strategic value of Thar coal is seriously limited by its low quality. She said the Pakistani lignite has no export value because "the cost of shipping per unit of heating value makes it uneconomic."

"Its value is for use in power generation locally or close to the mine site," she said. "Thar coal is not a replacement for the high-grade coal that Australia exports."

Monique Taylor, lecturer in world politics at the University of Helsinki, noted that the strategic value of Thar coal is seriously limited by its low quality. She said the Pakistani lignite has no export value because "the cost of shipping per unit of heating value makes it uneconomic."

India & Pakistan should fully utilize Thar Desert to develop solar and wind farms
india digs up/uses 47 million tons of Lignite per year in decrepit old prehistoric plants while trying to defame Pakistani efforts despite them using all manner of filtration and modern plants
Thar field designed for domestic power but might increase Beijing's options
China does not need Pakistani Lignite (it has plenty of its own). they are looking for bituminous coal and anthracite/hard coal.
you believe that?
no

PS. it is easier to convert lignite to petroleum products

Last edited:
Is it feasible overtime to wholly be dependent on our own lignite resources, which is plentiful to meet our energy needs instead of importing petroleum based products from GCC countries?
only if China is still standing strong in future and finds a cheaper way (to remove water). currently it will be 3 or 4 times more expensive than the GCC stuff

Last edited:
India & Pakistan should fully utilize Thar Desert to develop solar and wind farms

Thar...a place where coal is so common...and you want to set up way more expensive energy infrastructure?

The big missing part in all this - WHEN THE HELL WILL PAKISTANI WORKERS BE TRAINED ON PROJECTS LIKE THIS? Once again, why the hell this corrupt government allowed Chinese to take full control of the project without providing jobs to the locals? These corrupt a-holes in Pakistan are selling this country bit by bit to China and the US.

The big missing part in all this - WHEN THE HELL WILL PAKISTANI WORKERS BE TRAINED ON PROJECTS LIKE THIS? Once again, why the hell this corrupt government allowed Chinese to take full control of the project without providing jobs to the locals? These corrupt a-holes in Pakistan are selling this country bit by bit to China and the US.
Who signed these projects and accepted the terms and did or did not put in place requirements for the training/education of locals?

The time to include some kind of offset in terms of local training/education etc was when the projects were finalized and signed.

The PTI government has in fact (Correctly) moved away from fossil fuel energy projects.

This project has nothing to do with China Australia Spat. Whoever wrote this article is a moron with no comprehension of ground realities. First of all most of the Thar Coal is not extractable which why Plant have to be built on the site where coal is first converted gas and then ignited. Although it can be used to make Gas, Diesel and other chemicals used in industry.

In case of Pakistan, it will take time.
In case of India my knowledge is that India is brilliantly covering even their canals with solar plates - it will provide green energy as well as preserve the sweet water from evaporation and save it for irrigation.

india digs up/uses 47 million tons of Lignite per year in decrepit old prehistoric plants while trying to defame Pakistani efforts despite them using all manner of filtration and modern plants
Usage of coal and popping up of new coal power plants is still a rampant problem in South Asia, and I'm not blaming Pak here. All I'm saying is we're sharing a large under utilized barren hot desert which has a great potential to develop solar and wind farms which wouldn't affect the carbon footprint.

In case of Pakistan, it will take time.
In case of India my knowledge is that India is brilliantly covering even their canals with solar plates - it will provide green energy as well as preserve the sweet water from evaporation and save it for irrigation.
Agree, and we developed a super large solar farm, the Bhadla Solar Park which is a 2.5GW Solar Farm in the Thar and is scheduled to be expanded further

ja41i7na9du21.png

bhadla-solar-farm.jpg

Usage of coal and popping up of new coal power plants is still a rampant problem in South Asia, and I'm not blaming Pak here. All I'm saying is we're sharing a large under utilized barren hot desert which has a great potential to develop solar and wind farms which wouldn't affect the carbon footprint.

Agree, and we developed a super large solar farm, the Bhadla Solar Park which is a 2.5GW Solar Farm in the Thar and is scheduled to be expanded further

ja41i7na9du21.png

bhadla-solar-farm.jpg

Very nice initiative on the part of India. Green and cost effective energy.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom