What's new

China rapidly narrows technology gap with S. Korea

So overall Korean technology is still ahead than that of China?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
So what? Who cares if an overseas fab is building it. Huawei can have its 16nm chips built.

Samsung licenses IBM's technology. Huawei contracts directly with TSMC and avoids the overhead of paying for a fab and a license fee.

Who cares? you just ask me the explanation why Korea is still ahead in semiconductor.
Now you said it doesnt matter because Huawei can acess too with overseas fab :lol:

OLED and Quantum Dot TVs have negligible market share.

Neither technology has proven itself.

China's BOE has its own 10K TV technology ready. Samsung is only DEVELOPING 11K TV technology. That means Samsung is only in the research and development phase. China's BOE has already built a real 10K TV. Samsung is behind in LCD technology.

No one knows who the next-generation technology winner will be.

You have not proven superior Korean display technology.

It doesnt matter about market share. New technology always has small market share especially in the beggining phase.
Are you saying porche has mediocre tech because the market share is low?

From 8K to 10K is not a leap development.

I did prove Korean in still leading in OLED, regardless the market share is still small etc. Besides Korea is still leading in LCD market share.

Samsung has been licensing IBM semiconductor production technology for over 10 years.

It is ludicrous for anyone to claim that South Korea is ahead of anybody in semiconductor technology. South Korea is a mere licensee. Samsung has been buying IBM's semiconductor production technology for over 10 years.

There are only three companies in the world that produces cutting-edge semiconductor production technology for sophisticated logic chips. They are:

1. Intel (American)
2. TSMC (Taiwanese)
3. IBM (American)

TSMC has already announced it is moving to 10nm in 2016 and 7nm in 2017. TSMC has terrific yields that Samsung can't match. Hence, TSMC has 60% of the worldwide market for semiconductor foundries.

Reference: TSMC Promises 10nm Production In 2016, 7nm In 2017

Source (IBM's March 2004 news release): IBM News room - 2004-03-05 Samsung Electronics Joins IBM, Chartered, Infineon in Next-Generation Semiconductor Logic Process Development - United States

fzwCuoR.jpg

----------

Korea has no advantage in display technology

Just like cars, flat panel display technology was high-tech when it was first invented in 1964. Over the years, flat panel displays became common place and it's considered mid-tech.

Flat panel displays are commodities. The cost of an LCD flat panel display is only a couple of hundred bucks. The high-end is 4K LCD display, which China sells plenty of units.

The Koreans are focused on OLEDs. China's TCL has already shown Quantum Dot TVs at CES. The Koreans have no advantage in the potential evolution of the flat panel display industry.
----------

Only the United States and China build glass-cockpit displays

An example of high-tech display technology is advanced glass-cockpit displays. Only the United States and China have built them.

i5jZSzs.jpg

Last edited:
Samsung has been licensing IBM semiconductor production technology for over 10 years.

It is ludicrous for anyone to claim that South Korea is ahead of anybody in semiconductor technology. South Korea is a mere licensee. Samsung has been buying IBM's semiconductor production technology for over 10 years.
And yet somehow Lenovo is a 'world leader' in computer, never mind that it bought IBM's laptop division...:lol:

Marty...Stop talking as if you know what you are talking about. I dissected Samsung's semicon products, along with many others', and anyone who made declarations like you have is just simply -- ignorant.

China won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for Artemisinin. South Korea has nothing comparable.

Antonius made another ridiculous claim that South Korea is ahead of China in medical technology.

Let's compare the epitome of Chinese medical technology with South Korea's.

China's Artemisinin has won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for 2015. It also won the American 2011 Lasker Award (ie. American Nobel Prize).

China's Artemisinin is a cure for malaria and has saved millions of lives. South Korean medical technology has done nothing to merit the world's attention. South Korea has never won a Nobel Prize in Medicine or any Nobel Prize in the sciences.

It is silly to claim that South Korea is ahead of China in medical technology. Where is South Korea's Nobel Prize in Medicine? Name a South Korean medical invention that has saved millions of lives. You can't.
----------

hmKS9R1.jpg

----------

The Lasker Foundation - 2011 Awards

"Lasker~DeBakey
Clinical Medical Research Award

Award Description

Tu Youyou
For the discovery of artemisinin, a drug therapy for malaria that has saved millions of lives across the globe, especially in the developing world.

The 2011 Lasker~DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award honors a scientist who discovered artemisinin and its utility for treating malaria. Tu Youyou (China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing) developed a therapy that has saved millions of lives across the globe, especially in the developing world. An artemisinin-based drug combination is now the standard regimen for malaria, and the World Health Organization (WHO) lists artemisinin and related agents in its catalog of "Essential Medicines." Each year, several hundred million people contract malaria. Without treatment, many more of them would die than do now. Tu led a team that transformed an ancient Chinese healing method into the most powerful antimalarial medicine currently available."

VV9iTGe.jpg

Last edited:
I would say China ahead of S.korea in some fields while S.Korea ahead of China in others.

But all in All China soon will surpass Korea I say that for one reason China has every thing it needs to be ahead of Korea.

Like jet engine No way Korea will compete with China because Korea has no big air industry so they wont spend billions on these high tech hardware while China hungry for these engines for their civil and military projects.

But in car engines korea may be ahead of China unless I'm wrong.

I would say China ahead of S.korea in some fields while S.Korea ahead of China in others.

But all in All China soon will surpass Korea I say that for one reason China has every thing it needs to be ahead of Korea.

Like jet engine No way Korea will compete with China because Korea has no big air industry so they wont spend billions on these high tech hardware while China hungry for these engines for their civil and military projects.

You're wrong.

China has its own gasoline engines (see lengthy BYD Ti+DCT citation below from year 2011).

China has its own hybrid engines (see BYD F3 DM hybrid engine picture below).
WbPH77e.jpg

China also has its own electric vehicle engines (see BYD E6 electric car engine picture below).
npfgJoj.jpg

Car engines are mature middle-technology. They are well-understood and pretty much similar across car companies.
----------

BYD Premiers Ti+DCT on G6 Midsize: Auto Shanghai in Pictures | ChinaAutoWeb

352l3ZQ.jpg

Last edited:
And yet somehow Lenovo is a 'world leader' in computer, never mind that it bought IBM's laptop division...:lol:

Marty...Stop talking as if you know what you are talking about. I dissected Samsung's semicon products, along with many others', and anyone who made declarations like you have is just simply -- ignorant.
So what? acquisition and merger is part of growing a company capabilities. Google acquired Youtube and made it better. Same with Lenovo, Thinkpad is a dying brand until Lenovo revived and made it the most popular brand in IT industry. What IBM and Samsung did is royal license. IBM controls the IP and R&D, Samsung simply borrow the tech to manufacture them. Lenovo have full control over how Thinkpad design, operation, and execution. IBM have nothing and no say in how Thinkpad runs now.

Not me bullshitting, I am talking based on data as shown in the graphic - see again yourself. It is you are. Dont be bias.

Sorry the story you drag is not objective to be used to indicate who is ahead in construction technology mastery. If Korea has no chance to build such a long bridge, or railway doesnt mean she is not advanced enough in construction technology.

Well, China has more display manufacturer than Korea, but does it mean that Korea behind in the technology mastery?

Sorry but the number of output or factory is not right indication of technology mastery

I provided evidence that China is a world leader in skyscraper, bridge, expressway, and high speed rail construction. There are no construction projects currently in South Korea today that even remotely approach what China has done, and continues to do.

Now it's your turn. You need to provide some evidence that South Korea is X years ahead of China in construction. Simply pointing to a flawed report and some graphs from the same report doesn't prove anything. Give me real life examples. Name the South Korean company. Name the construction project. Explain why they are X years ahead of China.

I also have an additional challenge for you. I'm going to list out Chinese construction and mining equipment. I want you to name the South Korean equivalent...if you can.

The XCMG XGC88000 is currently the most powerful crawler crane in the world.

0gq4TYp.jpg

stth3F1.jpg

XGC88000 performs a 4500-ton hoist in a field test. Click the link. They have pictures.

News Detail_XCMG AFRICA

Sany SCC36000A Crawler Crane - Max Lifting Capacity 3,600 tons.

x943bVM.jpg

KAyPsTN.jpg

Taiyuan Heavy Industry WK-55 Excavator

TCiqhym.jpg

Taiyuan Heavy Industry WK-75 Excavator

1MHqiFt.jpg

Zoomlion ZE3000ELS Excavator

6xJzpug.jpg

XCMG DE400 Dump Truck

kAIUkVO.jpg

OK, now give me the South Korean equivalents. I'll even give you some links to get you started.

Our Products | Hyundai Construction Equipment
Products : Doosan Infracore Construction Equipment

You should search T 50 Golden Eagle, KFX Program

KAI KF-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for Engine, South Korea is also quite good, beside has many high tech company, they also have USA in its side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powerplant: 1 × General Electric F404 (built under license by Samsung Techwin[17]) afterburningturbofan
  • Dry thrust: 53.07 kN (11,925 lbf)
KAI T-50 Golden Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KFX Cockpit made by Samsung
KFX-cockpit.jpg

AESA Development

361067_article_59_20130128122015.jpg

Last edited:
You should search T 50 Golden Eagle, KFX Program

KAI KF-X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for Engine, South Korea is also quite good, beside has many high tech company, they also have USA in its side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powerplant: 1 × General Electric F404 (built under license by Samsung Techwin[17]) afterburningturbofan
  • Dry thrust: 53.07 kN (11,925 lbf)
KAI T-50 Golden Eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KFX Cockpit made by Samsung
KFX-cockpit.jpg

AESA Development

361067_article_59_20130128122015.jpg
Are you retarded?

China builds its own WS-10A turbofan jet engine.

South Korea licenses an American jet engine.

You're going to claim South Korea is on par with China in jet engine technology?

At any time, the United States can halt the supply of engine blades and other parts. South Korea will be unable to produce a single jet engine. South Korea can produce jet engines only if it obeys U.S. directives.

That's the point of building your own jet engines.

A technology licensee serves at the pleasure of its master. When the master is displeased, sanctions bring the licensee's military technological level down to zero.

I've never heard of such a stupid idea that a licensee is equivalent to being the originator of the technology (e.g. I'm talking to you "Indos"). A licensee is in no better position than buying the entire jet engine.

A licensee merely assembles the parts. The licensee has no clue how to independently replicate the technology.

Last edited:
I provided evidence that China is a world leader in skyscraper, bridge, expressway, and high speed rail construction. There are no construction projects currently in South Korea today that even remotely approach what China has done, and continues to do.

Now it's your turn. You need to provide some evidence that South Korea is X years ahead of China in construction. Simply pointing to a flawed report and some graphs from the same report doesn't prove anything. Give me real life examples. Name the South Korean company. Name the construction project. Explain why they are X years ahead of China.

I also have an additional challenge for you. I'm going to list out Chinese construction and mining equipment. I want you to name the South Korean equivalent...if you can.

The XCMG XGC88000 is currently the most powerful crawler crane in the world.

0gq4TYp.jpg

stth3F1.jpg

XGC88000 performs a 4500-ton hoist in a field test. Click the link. They have pictures.

News Detail_XCMG AFRICA

Sany SCC36000A Crawler Crane - Max Lifting Capacity 3,600 tons.

x943bVM.jpg

KAyPsTN.jpg

Taiyuan Heavy Industry WK-55 Excavator

TCiqhym.jpg

Taiyuan Heavy Industry WK-75 Excavator

1MHqiFt.jpg

Zoomlion ZE3000ELS Excavator

XCMG DE400 Dump Truck

OK, now give me the South Korean equivalents. I'll even give you some links to get you started.

Our Products | Hyundai Construction Equipment
Products : Doosan Infracore Construction Equipment

Largest is not always a measurement of cutting edge technology. How about quality? Accuracy? Efficiency? Meeting stringent Standards?

For example:

The accurate response of the control system will maximize the performance.

DX35Z : Doosan Infracore Construction Equipment

Another example:

On September 24, 2014 we successfully unveiled our newest and most advanced range of forklifts powered by our revolutionary new G2 engines at an excellent event at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.

Doosan’s G2 launch event sets a new standard « Doosan Forklifts

Doosan Industrial Vehicle UK launches new environmentally-friendly, cost-effective forklifts using its revolutionary new G2 engine

Doosan-D30S-7-G2-engine-1.jpg

“The Doosan G2 engine represents a watershed moment in forklift diesel engine design,” concludes Tim Waples. “It is a genuinely innovative approach to the challenge of maintaining performance while meeting exacting emissions standards, and will become the benchmark engine against which all others in the market are measured.”
Using Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) exhaust treatment technology along with an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, and on sale from October, the new range of ‘DPF free’ engines is available in 2.4-litre and 3.4-litre versions

Doosan Industrial Vehicle UK launches new environmentally-friendly, cost-effective forklifts using its revolutionary new G2 engine « Doosan Forklifts

Are you retarded?

China builds its own WS-10A turbofan jet engine.

South Korea licenses an American jet engine.

You're going to claim South Korea is on par with China in jet engine technology?

At any time, the United States can halt the supply of engine blades and other parts. South Korea will be unable to produce a single jet engine. South Korea can produce jet engines only if it obeys U.S. directives.

That's the point of building your own jet engines. A technology licensee serves at the pleasure of its master. When the master is displeased, sanctions bring the licensee's military technological level down to zero.

I've never heard of such a stupid idea that a licensee is equivalent to being the originator of the technology (e.g. I'm talking to you "Indos"). A licensee is in no better position than buying the entire jet engine.

A licensee merely assembles the parts. The licensee has no clue how to independently replicate the technology.

Just look at Japan, they can also produce the PWF100 engine under the license.

However, they can only design a 49KN turbofan engine on their own.

IHI Corporation XF5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom