What's new

China railways scandal widens, raising criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys know what the rough price difference is in %, I'm interested in whats the price difference as well

If you are taking a D type, it roughly cost two times as much as a normal train, mabybe a bit higher. Take Qingdao-Ji'nan for example, it costs people 122 RMB to travel from Qingdao to Ji'nan on D type( no G type is avaiable yet), a normal train (K type or T type) costs people about 50 RMB.

That's another way of putting it. Speaking of welfare. I believe China would unlikely to have unemployment benefit or old age pensions now or in the future (disability compensation is another matter). One should help the unfortunate and not the poor, for doing the latter will just create lazy dependent people.

It's ok to spend money on natural disasters, but not just for the sake of feeding every poor man. This might sound harsh but there is a good reason for it.

The government has responsibility to create opportunities and employment for the people. It is up to the people to make use of it.

The China govt is not afraid to spent USD, because they have a lot of USD. But they r afraid to spent too much RMB, because that will cause inflation.
In the near future, China's welfare can not still be compared with the West. We r still a pauper.

India really needs more of everything in the infrastructure department, I've heard the government is starting to fund it but it will probably take time.
No actual budget for HSR at the moment.... They have conducted several feasibility studies and determined the HSR routes that would be feasible in the future. Economic viability and limited funding would ensure that only few corridors will be approved. Current travelers who need to travel quick can travel by air, but at the moment I doubt we have the volume traffic for HSR. But as the volumes increase and demand for air travel increases, HSR becomes feasible on those routes.

India_HSR_potential_route.png

I heard implementation of railways is abit tricky because of the govt having to buy the land back from those impacted and that usually runs into deadlock. How does it work in India btw? Does the person affected have to give up his land at a standard compensation or do they have a choice in the matter?
In Singapore the government makes you give up your property regardless so long as there is infrastructure to be built, you will be compensated at the prices of the area in general by PSF.

If they plan to have the HSR along the existing corridors, the railways have enough land to make use of. But in case it needs to go through public land, then it becomes an uphill task (people filing cases and it becoming a political issue), but given the terrain and the curvy nature of conventional rail lines, I think new land acquisition has to be done from the public. HSR tracks need as much straight line tracks as possible and also need a very high radius of curvature to change course.

They will be given enough compensation for their land considering most are farmlands and will pass through rural areas. In urban areas, the railways can use the conventional corridor since the trains run at reduced speed near the urban areas anyways. Govt compensation is usually PSF in urban areas and Per Acres in rural areas. Usually it is higher than the fair market price.

Not to troll, but Pakistan had a very bad experience with Chinese locomotives. We'll probably go with a JV with Japan or something (if HSR materializes in the future)

Not to troll, but Pakistan had a very bad experience with Chinese locomotives. We'll probably go with a JV with Japan or something (if HSR materializes in the future)

Didn't India just order some Chinese locomotives? How are those holding up?

Maybe China can help.

Perhaps if things improve between the countries politically.

But at the current moment if HSR gets a final go ahead, the Japanese and the French will be the front runners. The Japanese have been involved deeply in the HSR feasibility studies and are currently helping improve the existing tracks. I had read elsewhere that French TGV also participated in a few studies of the HS corridors.

Sure you can make deal with Japan,even Chinese locomotives for HSR still used Japanese tech.

Perhaps if things improve between the countries politically.

But at the current moment if HSR gets a final go ahead, the Japanese and the French will be the front runners. The Japanese have been involved deeply in the HSR feasibility studies and are currently helping improve the existing tracks. I had read elsewhere that French TGV also participated in a few studies of the HS corridors.

Things in India are too political. It should be based on actual specification needs.

China can make it the fastest, cheapest, and most advanced. No other country operates trains that go 350Km average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom