What's new

China railways scandal widens, raising criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not avaliable until 2012. Take air.

Thank you for being sane. I rarely see such high quality posts in the last month.

The failures of the rail policy is unfortunately simply limited budget and physical limitations. The problem was just as bad 20 years ago, even worse 30 years ago, and 60 years ago, you couldn't even ride a continuous train from Beijing to Wuhan, the train had to be shipped across the Chang Jiang river by boat then reassembled on the other side.

He can use the Wuhan-Guangzhou Line. Wuhan to Shanghai, he can use the EMU.

The failures of the rail policy is unfortunately simply limited budget and physical limitations. The problem was just as bad 20 years ago, even worse 30 years ago, and 60 years ago, you couldn't even ride a continuous train from Beijing to Wuhan, the train had to be shipped across the Chang Jiang river by boat then reassembled on the other side.

I think Chinese new year is a unique phenomena, rarely do you have so many people all using a public transportation system. People here go home for the holidays but it's nowhere near the scale.

It might not be profitable or beneficial at this stage, but China will reap benefits of its HSR network in the near future. I have reiterated it few times on this forum, no infrastructure is useless, not in a country of 1.3 Billion people anyways.
Hope India will have a similar HSR network some day. :enjoy:

Even if India will decide to do it, it shouldn't reduce the development in the current network. It will take atleast 4-5 decades for everyone to be able to afford riding on HSR. (being optimistic). They should start now to build separate corridors of HSR as per the plan, but it is really hard with the current minister. She is too populist. We need a visionary minister to think in those lines. Nothing will start until 2014 (after elections)

Even if India will decide to do it, it shouldn't reduce the development in the current network. It will take atleast 4-5 decades for everyone to be able to afford riding on HSR. (being optimistic). They should start now to build separate corridors of HSR as per the plan, but it is really hard with the current minister. She is too populist. We need a visionary minister to think in those lines. Nothing will start until 2014 (after elections)

India really needs more of everything in the infrastructure department, I've heard the government is starting to fund it but it will probably take time.

Any country in the world, all passenger railway is operating at a loss. China is no exception.
But that does not matter, China also did not intend to make money by rail, it is just a kind of welfare.

I heard implementation of railways is abit tricky because of the govt having to buy the land back from those impacted and that usually runs into deadlock. How does it work in India btw? Does the person affected have to give up his land at a standard compensation or do they have a choice in the matter?

In Singapore the government makes you give up your property regardless so long as there is infrastructure to be built, you will be compensated at the prices of the area in general by PSF.

Yeah that seems like a reasonable and feasible approach. Current network is always going to stay there, perhaps they could improve the tracks and train sets and increase the speed of the existing network. And build separate HSR corridors.

Unfortunately for us railways ministry keeps going to one of the regional parties. They should put it under PMO or hopefully next elections either of the two national parties will win the election with majority, without the support of any regional parties. Banerjee is definitely the worst thing that could have happened for Indian railways.

Any country in the world, all passenger railway is operating at a loss. China is no exception.
But that does not matter, China also did not intend to make money by rail, it is just a kind of welfare.

That's another way of putting it. Speaking of welfare. I believe China would unlikely to have unemployment benefit or old age pensions now or in the future (disability compensation is another matter). One should help the unfortunate and not the poor, for doing the latter will just create lazy dependent people.

It's ok to spend money on natural disasters, but not just for the sake of feeding every poor man. This might sound harsh but there is a good reason for it.

The government has responsibility to create opportunities and employment for the people. It is up to the people to make use of it.

Thank you for being sane. I rarely see such high quality posts in the last month.
Thanks... Let's say I am in a good mood today :D

:lol:... thats a new thing for me... I didn't know this was how it was done before.

I don't think limited budget was an issue... priorities may have been different.. but the CPC should realize that with the current situation (regional economic disparity) it would be harder to keep the migrant workers happy... and keep them willing to be a part of the migration ritual every year. With the economic situation improving in the central and western regions, lesser and lesser people would be willing to work as migrant worker. This is one of the problems I see coming in the next few years.

it would be harder to keep the migrant workers happy... and keep them willing to be a part of the migration ritual every year. With the economic situation improving in the central and western regions, lesser and lesser people would be willing to work as migrant worker. This is one of the problems I see coming in the next few years.

I don't think this is a negative to be honest. China's policy for a long time now has been to push industry west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom