What's new

China Plans To Have 8 Type 055 Destroyers

Check the data:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_People's_Liberation_Army_Navy_ships
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_052C_destroyer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_052D_destroyer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_055_destroyer

24 type 052D is about to be completed.
6 type 052C is already in service.
At least 8 type 055 is definitely going to be completed within next 5 years.
There are 052E will come out shortly.

30 type 054A frigates and 60+ type 056 frigates are already in active service.

the second AC will enter service this year. And the third one has been built and is confirmed by our official source.

Within 10-15 years, there will be 6 ACs...

Take a look at our navy build up speed (as compared to India):
150418woptyg4dmpegz9p2.png
I thought you meant 60 type 55,

First 2 052C were built when China's GDP was $1.2T, and 5 years is long enough to commission them.

Point being you have to compare apples to apples. There's no point comparing the navies of a $3T economy and a $12T economy. Rather it makes sense to compare what both economies have achieved when they were both at $3T. That's all the way in 2006-07 for China. Also, 3T 15 years ago is very different from 3T today due to inflation. So China was still a much richer country in 2006 than India is today.

8 Type 055 is now under building; another 16 Type 055A will start the construction shortly. That's just a very initial plan of PLA Navy. China today is ONLY spending 1.9% of the GDP in military (official government budget on defense is even just 1.3% to GDP), sufficient room for China to expand the navy building scale.

Point being you have to compare apples to apples. There's no point comparing the navies of a $3T economy and a $12T economy. Rather it makes sense to compare what both economies have achieved when they were both at $3T. That's all the way in 2006-07 for China. Also, 3T 15 years ago is very different from 3T today due to inflation. So China was still a much richer country in 2006 than India is today.

India is not competitive when China's GDP is $13T. India is not competitive even when China's GDP was $1.2T. Indian and China comparison will always be apple and orange comparison, I got your point. I thought you guys believe that India is only 13 years behind. Good to know there are some more rational Indians around.

It reminds me of the popular sentiment in India, "The Tortoise vs the Hare", except the Tortoise always chases its own tail and the Hare never stops running. :enjoy:

To be honest, India needs a Revolution to be in the same league.

Under Modi ji India will soon turn to be 5trilion economy without increase much of employment. What a miracle!

India is not competitive when China's GDP is $13T. India is not competitive even when China's GDP was $1.2T. Indian and China comparison will always be apple and orange comparison, I got your point. I thought you guys believe that India is only 13 years behind. Good to know there are some more rational Indians around.

It reminds me of the popular sentiment in India, "The Tortoise vs the Hare", except the Tortoise always chases its own tail and the Hare never stops running. :enjoy:

To be honest, India needs a Revolution to be in the same league.

There is a significant difference though. Even though China's GDP is greater, on the tech front we are practically on par in some, few years behind in some. What this means is India is developing technology with a lower GDP figure than what China has done.

The revolution was done in 1991, when Indian opened up its economy.

There is a significant difference though. Even though China's GDP is greater, on the tech front we are practically on par in some, few years behind in some. What this means is India is developing technology with a lower GDP figure than what China has done.

The revolution was done in 1991, when Indian opened up its economy.
Unfortunately, this is not the case:
Money brings R&D, and R&D brings technology...

Last edited:
India is not associated with technology yet, there is another reason why you build ship at such a low speed: you have to pay large sums of money and wait for equipments from other countries.
Best example being the 1984 project, the development of LCA. While India's aircraft manufacturer still struggles with LCA at a snail pace, the IAF has made things more complicated by demanding a Mk 2 version - that too with foreign components. Meanwhile the Chinese aircraft manufacturing industry alone is speedily growing and managing multiple projects. That's just one sector!

@randomradio India is far, far behind. Far from "on par".

India is not associated with technology yet, there is another reason why you build ships at such a low speed: you have to pay large sums of money and wait for equipments from other countries.

Do you know all your ships and subs have Western engines in them?

the IAF has made things more complicated by demanding a Mk 2 version - that too with foreign components.

The opposite.

Meanwhile the Chinese aircraft manufacturing industry alone is speedily growing and managing multiple projects. That's just one sector!

In about 5 years, you will know a lot about what's happening now.

Back
Top Bottom