What's new

China, Philippines agree to safeguard peace in South China Sea

US army chief Mullen begins China visit to improve ties

The top US military officer has begun a visit to China, aimed at improving strained military ties between the two countries.

Adm Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Washington and Beijing should work harder on developing "strategic trust."

Adm Mullen's trip is the first of its kind in four years.

In 2010, Beijing severed military contacts with Washington in response to US arms sales to Taiwan.

China regards Taiwan as part of its territory.

For its part, the US has repeatedly voiced concern over China's growing military capabilities and Beijing's rising assertiveness in a territorial row in the South China Sea.

'Enduring presence'
Adm Mullen is in China for a four-day visit at the invitation of Gen Chen Bingde, chief of the general staff of the People's Liberation Army, who visited the US in May.

The two are scheduled to hold talks in Beijing on Monday.

Ahead of the high-profile meeting, Adm Mullen said Washington was committed to maintaining its presence in the Pacific, including the South China Sea.

He expressed concern about the growing row between China, the Philippines and Vietnam in the area.

"The worry, among others that I have, is that the ongoing incidents could spark a miscalculation, and an outbreak that no-one anticipated," Adm Mullen said.

And he stressed: "We have an enduring presence here, we have an enduring responsibility. We seek to strongly support the peaceful resolution of these differences."

In all, six countries claim territory in the South China Sea, which is thought to be rich in oil and gas.

Last month, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stressed that Washington was committed to the defence of the Philippines, honouring a mutual defence pact.

In China, Adm Mullen is also scheduled to visit the country's air force, army and navy bases.

Superficial harmony
In May, Gen Chen said China had no intention to match US military power.

He said America's armed forces remained far more advanced than China's despite considerable progress by China in recent years.

Gen Chen's visit drew strongly favourable press in China - a signal of the importance that the Chinese authorities are now placing on better military ties, says BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Marcus.

But there should be no illusions as superficial harmony inevitably masks significant underlying tensions, our correspondent says.

The aim of China's extensive military modernisation, he adds, is to extend its military reach well beyond its own shores and to potentially neutralise weapons systems where the US has a dominant advantage.

BBC News - US army chief Mullen begins China visit to improve ties

kids, learn something.

There is no difference between solider or militia. They all called "enemy combatant" in the Geneva Convention and treated equally by the Geneva Convention.

let me repeat again: 1) they are a part of the organized military organization, receive order from their officers, 2) they wear combat uniforms, 3) they are armed with military weapons and can be observed from reasonable distance that they are armed.

once they qualify the above three conditions, they are considered by the Geneva Convention as enemy combatant and can be shot died without even warning. that is the universal law of war. like it or not, it is the law followed by all nations on earth.

Hehe, I just want you to know, they're weak, they're women, no proud to kill those girls.You did not complete your mission to force VN withdraw from Cambodia, you also could not break throught our defence line, you Failed in all the missions, that all bro.

If you happy with bodies counting, OK, you win, you killed lots of weak girls :smokin:

US army chief Mullen begins China visit to improve ties

The top US military officer has begun a visit to China, aimed at improving strained military ties between the two countries.

Adm Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Washington and Beijing should work harder on developing "strategic trust."

Adm Mullen's trip is the first of its kind in four years.

In 2010, Beijing severed military contacts with Washington in response to US arms sales to Taiwan.

China regards Taiwan as part of its territory.

For its part, the US has repeatedly voiced concern over China's growing military capabilities and Beijing's rising assertiveness in a territorial row in the South China Sea.

'Enduring presence'
Adm Mullen is in China for a four-day visit at the invitation of Gen Chen Bingde, chief of the general staff of the People's Liberation Army, who visited the US in May.

The two are scheduled to hold talks in Beijing on Monday.

Ahead of the high-profile meeting, Adm Mullen said Washington was committed to maintaining its presence in the Pacific, including the South China Sea.

He expressed concern about the growing row between China, the Philippines and Vietnam in the area.

"The worry, among others that I have, is that the ongoing incidents could spark a miscalculation, and an outbreak that no-one anticipated," Adm Mullen said.

And he stressed: "We have an enduring presence here, we have an enduring responsibility. We seek to strongly support the peaceful resolution of these differences."

In all, six countries claim territory in the South China Sea, which is thought to be rich in oil and gas.

Last month, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stressed that Washington was committed to the defence of the Philippines, honouring a mutual defence pact.

In China, Adm Mullen is also scheduled to visit the country's air force, army and navy bases.

Superficial harmony
In May, Gen Chen said China had no intention to match US military power.

He said America's armed forces remained far more advanced than China's despite considerable progress by China in recent years.

Gen Chen's visit drew strongly favourable press in China - a signal of the importance that the Chinese authorities are now placing on better military ties, says BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Marcus.

But there should be no illusions as superficial harmony inevitably masks significant underlying tensions, our correspondent says.

The aim of China's extensive military modernisation, he adds, is to extend its military reach well beyond its own shores and to potentially neutralise weapons systems where the US has a dominant advantage.

BBC News - US army chief Mullen begins China visit to improve ties

Chinese say: American, you stay away from the South China sea. If not, the fire spreads to the U.S. :angry:

American say: I don't stay away, what will you do with me?

Chinese:......

:D:D

really, how many years you spent there? I spent 10 years in the west, never saw any of such joke.

:cheesy: one day liar, always liar.

Oh!! my little baby, you need not spent 10 years in west to see those signs.......
just google it down, few links here
BBC News - German firms fear China technology theft
Saudi consumers wary of 'Made in China' products - Arab News
China products choke, burn, drown, drop, trap Americans

you can find hundreds if not thousands of such news articles all over internet.....

I wonder you dont know anything real about your china other than the fairy tails told by chinese govt.... wake up kid.... get real!!

we are so scared.

Don't scare, friend. If China has no aggression. Nothing will happen. At least there is no thread " Tensions between China and Vietnam" and we do not argue with each other in pakistan forum. But it's a fun conversation

Don't scare, friend. If China has no aggression. Nothing will happen. At least there is no thread " Tensions between China and Vietnam" and we do not argue with each other in pakistan forum. But it's a fun conversation

it is so good to have your promise above.

could you please assure me that vietnam will never invade our country and rule our people? you know, we are so weak.

Oh!! my little baby, you need not spent 10 years in west to see those signs.......
just google it down, few links here
BBC News - German firms fear China technology theft
Saudi consumers wary of 'Made in China' products - Arab News
China products choke, burn, drown, drop, trap Americans

you can find hundreds if not thousands of such news articles all over internet.....

I wonder you dont know anything real about your china other than the fairy tails told by chinese govt.... wake up kid.... get real!!

dude, I live in the west for the past decade. I had a PhD degree from a world top 50 university. I read news in English and Chinese.

what you have? tell me who is going to have a more balanced and objective view?

:smokin:

dude, I live in the west for the past decade. I had a PhD degree from a world top 50 university. I read news in English and Chinese.

Well I have a degree from a Top 25 University in the World and to me, that doesnt mean sh!t, so stop using that as a excuse.

now you become defensive and posting offtopic.... I am not intrested in your degrees but in facts....

and a suggestion to you do your phd again.... this time more seriously so that you can really become "balance"

by viewing the quality of your post I thought a 12 year boy is posting... :lol:

China offers to train the Armed Forces of Philippines
After aiding the Armed Forces of Philippines in their fight against the communist rebels, the PLA continues to maintain its military training invitations to the AFP despite the current dispute. Exchanges as such demonstrate the relationship between China with its neighbors in Asia is complex and not driven by a single issue.

China invites AFP for schooling
By AARON B. RECUENCO
July 7, 2011, 6:51pm
China invites AFP for schooling | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online

MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has been invited by China to send some local officials for schooling in its military school, a move that could bolster relationship between the two countries amid tensions brought by the alleged intrusions at the disputed Spratlys Island.

But Commodore Jose Miguel Rodriguez, AFP spokesman, was quick to clarify that China has been sending invitations in the past only that this year’s invite is being highlighted because of the Spratlys tension.

“China has invited us to send our students to take up the GSC and that is something that will build personal relations, the way we are doing it with other countries,” said Rodriguez.

GSC stands for General Staff Course, a requirement for promotion to colonel.

Such invitation, along with the visit of Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto del Rosario could ease the tension between the two claimant-countries according to Rodriguez.

The official would not comment on the talking points on del Rosario’s visit but said that the presence of the latter in China would stabilize the situation amid the issues raised by the Philippines that there have been at least six intrusions committed in Spratlys believed to be by China.

“We are just very hopeful that there will be a lot of positive results in the visit,” said Rodriguez.

But for Rodriguez, what is needed to ease the Spratlys tension is for claimant-countries to be open and transparent on the things they do inside the disputed island group.

“More exchange of information, more openness, a lot more transparencies like if you are going there you should at least inform the other country,” said Rodriguez
China invites AFP for schooling | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online
Monday, December 06, 2010
Philippines, China to sign military logistics deal
It is an upside-down world out there -- the PLA is helping the Philippines army to fight against its Maoist rebels.
China Defense Blog: Philippines, China to sign military logistics deal

Philippines, China to sign military logistics deal

Philippines, China to sign military logistics deal | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, a long-time US ally and former colony, said it will sign a logistics supply deal with China to source military equipment to combat domestic security threats, including from Maoist rebels.

General Ricardo David, Chief of Staff of the 130,000-member Armed Forces of the Philippines, will fly on Tuesday to Beijing, where he will meet senior defense and army officials and also tour military facilities, the Philippine military said.

David will sign a defense logistics deal with his counterpart in the People's Liberation Army (PLA), with talks expected to cover regional security concerns, including tensions in the Korean peninsula and the peaceful resolution of disputes in the South China Sea, where Beijing and Manila have competing claims.

"I would suppose this will start the influx of logistics coming from mainland China," military spokesman Brigadier-General Jose Mabanta told reporters on the planned deal.

The Philippines has one of the weakest militaries in the Asia-Pacific region, in part relying on second-hand aircraft, boats and assault rifles from the United States, its closest security partner and former colonial ruler.

"I don't think there will be any political implications," Mabanta said when asked about the likely U.S. reaction. "The Philippine Armed Forces really lack funds and equipment and is ready and willing to accept equipment and much-needed resources from any donor country. This includes, of course, China."

Expanding soft power

Last year, a US congressional report warned of China's "soft power", of expanding its influence in the region through billions of dollars in development assistance and investments, particularly in the Philippines, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar.

In August, US military officials said Chinese assertiveness in the South China Sea was causing concern in the region.

China has previously donated engineering equipment, such as graders and bulldozers, which the army used to build roads in rural areas where the Maoist New People's Army (NPA) is active. It has also offered to sell artillery, helicopters and boats.

Since 2000, Washington has donated more than $500 million of military equipment and supplies to Manila. It has also provided training and advice on countering Islamic militants in the south.

The United States has also funded assistance to poorer rural communities to check the spread of NPA influence and control.

The Philippines has a modernization fund of about $150 million to upgrade transport aircraft and combat helicopters to fight Muslim separatists and Maoist guerrillas.
as of 12/07/2010 12:07 AM

Maritime disputes 'will not affect ties'
Updated: 2011-07-09 07:46
By Cheng Guangjin and Wu Jiao (China Daily)
0013729e48090f81dba312.jpg

Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi (right) meets visiting Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario at Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing on Friday. [Wu Zhiyi / China Daily]
Philippine minister meets with FM; paves way for visit by Aquino

BEIJING - China and the Philippines on Friday agreed not to let maritime disputes affect relations.

Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi and Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario exchanged views on the recent maritime disputes and agreed not to let disagreements affect "the broader picture of friendship and cooperation between the two countries", read a joint news release issued after the ministers' talks in Beijing.

Vice-president Xi Jinping also met with del Rosario, who came at a sensitive time when the Philippines' claim over stretches of the South China Sea is drawing ire from China.
Del Rosario's three-day trip, which ends on Saturday, has been widely speculated in the media as an effort to calm tensions and slam the brakes on an escalating dispute.

During the talks, Xi reportedly said China adheres to the path of peaceful development and sticks to the policy of building friendship and partnership with neighboring countries.

"China is committed to remaining a good neighbor, a good friend and a good partner to the Philippines," Xi said, according to a press release from the foreign ministry.

Yang also added that China attaches great importance to relations with the Philippines, and hailed the visit as helpful to increasing communication and coordination in international and regional affairs.

"I believe through the efforts of both sides, your visit will help push forward the development of bilateral relations on a sound and steady track," he said, according to the official statement.

Del Rosario, on his first visit to China since taking his post, said developing ties with China is a major diplomatic task of the Philippine government, and he pledged to make joint efforts with China to push forward "healthy development of the mutually beneficial bilateral ties".

A news release from the Chinese foreign ministry said both ministers exchanged opinions on the South China Sea. They stressed the two countries will abide by the code of conduct signed by China and members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and their joint commitment to the regional peace and stability.

Covering an area of more than 3.5 million sq km, the South China Sea is believed to hold vast deposits of oil and natural gas.

China, the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam all lay claim to some islands and reefs in the area, with some countries having begun development of the maritime resources in disputed regions.

To solve disputes, in 2002 China and ASEAN signed the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, in which they pledged to jointly safeguard regional stability, cooperate in the area and resolve disputes through peaceful talks between the direct claimants.

However, tension has lingered, as some countries continue their maritime development in disputed areas.

Yang Baoyun, deputy director of Peking University's center for Southeast Asian studies, said Albert del Rosario's visit "at least helps the two sides know about each others' thoughts on sensitive issues" and "alleviate contradictions".

"China and the Philippines have kept good relations, and the South China Sea dispute, which has been intense these days, doesn't represent the whole relationship," he told China Daily.

Beijing and Manila have signed more than 100 agreements over the past 36 years of diplomatic relations, and China is the third biggest trading partner of the Philippines, with two-way investments and contracted projects growing fast.

The visit by Manila's top diplomat is also regarded as paving the way for Philippine President Benigno Aquino's visit to China, which is likely to take place in late August or early September.

Yang of Peking University said it takes time to solve problems when national interests are involved. "We need patience and peaceful negotiation while sticking to certain principles," he said, noting China has exercised restraint against provocation by some countries.

However, other experts have warned of powers outside the South China Sea region playing an important role in fueling the dispute, as some hold that the sea dispute is a starting point for the United States' back-to-Asia policy.

now you become defensive and posting offtopic.... I am not intrested in your degrees but in facts....

and a suggestion to you do your phd again.... this time more seriously so that you can really become "balance"

by viewing the quality of your post I thought a 12 year boy is posting... :lol:

Agree with you. :agree::agree::agree: Lie in his throat.

Well I have a degree from a Top 25 University in the World and to me, that doesnt mean sh!t, so stop using that as a excuse.

you are not good at maths, are you?
when I say top 50, with 50% chance it is a top 25. simple probability problem to me, you didn't learn it in high school?

can I ask who is your Doctoral supervisor? who marked your PhD thesis? how many hundred citations you have for your published work? assuming you are working now, not trying to dig into your personal stuff, but have you been qualified for the higher tax bucket in UK? If not, how about just shut up, show some respect, and piss off?

oh, you bloody moron did a 3 years undergradute arts degree and earned a burger maker job for $5.35/hour!

Back
Top Bottom