What's new

China permits Indian basmati rice imports

Basmati is a high quality rice. I was talking about selling quality rice in China... Let me know what part puzzles you? And if you so insist that the Chinese like luxury items, then our basmati exporters must be sitting on a gold mine then... ;)

kiddo! I am talking about stupid pricing regardless of the quality and your irrelevant and ignorant comments!

What a question ??? Then why are they importing ???
They reject USA rice over Indian basmati rice. Do you get my question or just .......

another kiddo on the PDF block! Iraq and USA - go figure!

:woot: Even many Indians I knew here in Dubai hate Indian rice, they used to buy Thai.
Pakistani rice is the best!!!
The only reason India gets the market share is because of fancy packaging, and I mean seriously, instead of spending so much on graphic you should spend more on researching how to make better tasting rice. And also some Indian companies are now shamelessly growing Pakistani grains, or even exporting and re-branding Pakistani rice as Indian.
:pakistan:

kiddo! I am talking about stupid pricing regardless of the quality and your irrelevant and ignorant comments!
I know it is hard for you to comprehend that good things do not come cheap. Precisely what I wanted to prove from our conversation as above. Now ciao...

another kiddo on the PDF block! Iraq and USA - go figure!

Is it a habit of Chinese people do say ^^^^ something like this when then don't know or don't want t know :D
As always be happy in your ignorance

:woot: Even many Indians I knew here in Dubai hate Indian rice, they used to buy Thai.
The only reason India gets the market share is because of fancy packaging, and I mean seriously, instead of spending so much on graphic you should spend more on researching how to make better tasting rice. And also some Indian companies are now shamelessly growing Pakistani grains, or even exporting and re-branding Pakistani rice as Indian.

we are used to indian bragging so everything they say we will discount it by 70%. I guess they are prepared to first price @ crazy dollars then their subsequent knock-off discount for warehouse clearance sale within a week on the shelf.

Why not rice from Pakistan which we will consume with great comfort!

Actually seeing the stupid comments from all and yours included and this being a military forum, should not we be debating why China has allowed India to directly compete with Pakistani Basmati in China. I had read somewhere that for a decade Pakistan had tooth and nail opposed India from entering the China market and China had always obliged. This can mean only one thing. China is stepping away from its original policy?

I know it is hard for you to comprehend that good things do not come cheap. Precisely what I wanted to prove from our conversation as above. Now ciao...

the more you say about it you are arguing deeper into a hole whose depth is matched by the lowering level of your intelligence

Time Has Come to Resolve Basmati Dispute with India, Says Pakistan Trade Chief

While both nations grow basmati, Pakistan claims that the ‘Super Basmati’ is indigenous to the country. India has traditionally exported the PUSA and some other varieties of basmati, but claims that it has developed the ‘Super Basmati’ variety in its labs as well. The dispute between the two countries flared up when India registered the Super Basmati – considered to be more popular than PUSA -- in the EU for under Geographical Indication (GI) accreditation in 2007, after talks over the issue with Pakistan proved to be inconclusive. This angered Pakistan, and some officials promptly called India’s GI registration of basmati rice fake.

Time Has Come to Resolve Basmati Dispute with India, Says Pakistan Trade Chief

While both nations grow basmati, Pakistan claims that the ‘Super Basmati’ is indigenous to the country. India has traditionally exported the PUSA and some other varieties of basmati, but claims that it has developed the ‘Super Basmati’ variety in its labs as well. The dispute between the two countries flared up when India registered the Super Basmati – considered to be more popular than PUSA -- in the EU for under Geographical Indication (GI) accreditation in 2007, after talks over the issue with Pakistan proved to be inconclusive. This angered Pakistan, and some officials promptly called India’s GI registration of basmati rice fake.
That's news to me. Thanks for sharing

BEIJING: China has made a rare trade move opening up import channels for Indian basmati rice although it might hurt exports of similar produce from its close ally, Pakistan. According to sources, this is a politically sensitive move that suggests that Beijing is no more willing to walk the extra mile to protect Pakistan's interests.

China has been importing Pakistani aromatic rice for the past few years. Islamabad is known to have been persuading China not to allow Indian basmati because it will affect its already small export basket. What is more, Pakistan has begun to push China to buy more of its cotton yarn after New Delhi slapped a partial ban on cotton exports.

Though New Delhi and Beijing signed the basmati protocol 2006, it has taken China over five years to give the green signal because the Pakistan factor played a role in its thinking, sources said.

The first Chinese delegation to visit India to examine the product for quarantine purposes was in 2009. Indian officials have earlier complained that China's approval process is very time consuming and it takes years to obtain approval for one agriculture product.

"It is a hard won achievement. We expect this decision will lead to opening up the Chinese market for other agricultural goods," Nagraj Naidu, counselor (trade and commerce) at the Indian embassy in Beijing told TNN. "We hope Indian companies use the opportunity to build brands and develop the market."

Despite political backing, Pakistani basmati suppliers have not been able to make a dent in the Chinese market because of failures at the branding and marketing areas. The challenge lies in taking the product into the homes of upper class Chinese and expatriates instead of focusing only on the restaurant industry, sources said.

"India has a strong brand as the producer of 70 per cent of world's supply of basmati," Naidu said. A recent convention of the food and hospital industry in Shanghai evoked strong response from buyers when freshly cooked Indian basmati filled the auditorium with its aroma, he said.

China buys rice from Vietnam and Thailand in vast quantities. Though the Chinese market for rice is a vast one, Indian can hardly meet the demand because it has little surplus in the non-basmati category of rice, officials said.

China ignores Pakistan's concerns, approves Indian basmati imports - The Times of India

Good News ;)-

it puts pressure on Pakistan to be more competitive; so it's good news for us too....perhaps not in the short run, but in the long-run yes.

Pakistan is a free-market, free-enterprise capitalist country since 1947; not some marxist-mentality state that india was for so long.... Something to keep in mind.

hell - the Chinese leadership claims to be a communist party but they are everything BUT communists (in practice) :laugh:

perhaps the poster of this thread (and others who think this was a snub) would be best served by setting aside emotions and realizing that alliance or friendship doesnt mean that one is blindly buying the other goods without looking at personal interest

in this case, a cheaper alternative (the indian one) seemed like a good deal to them......China isnt our only export market, we are exporting rice all over the world.

incidentally, any revenues foregone in PRC are offset/made up in other markets where our exports are on the rise

for example -->

Pak rice export to Malaysia grows by 244 per cent

http://www.blackseagrain.net/photo/pak-rice-export-to-malaysia-grows-by-244-per-cent)

it puts pressure on Pakistan to be more competitive; so it's good news for us too....perhaps not in the short run, but in the long-run yes.

Pakistan is a free-market, free-enterprise capitalist country since 1947; not some marxist-mentality state that india was for so long.... Something to keep in mind.

hell - the Chinese leadership claims to be a communist party but they are everything BUT communists (in practice) :laugh:

There are no landlords in China. There's no land rent for farmers. There's no agricultural tax. In the 50's, there were communes, and now there aren't, but the land is still not private. Farmers can use it for free, but they cannot sell it without permission, which sounds bad, but prevents farmers from hedging their land for loans and going into debt and committing suicide like hundreds of thousands of developing world farmers elsewhere when they inevitably can't pay it off. There are feudal landlords in Pakistan and India which do this.

Stop and think to yourself, what did free enterprise do for Pakistan since 1947? Stop drinking the free enterprise kool-aid. Singapore's economy is 60% government owned. China's is 50% government owned. Of the 30 biggest inventions in the past 20 years, only 1 has been developed by private companies alone.

Why is Pakistan exporting rice? In fact, why is India exporting rice, when your own children go hungry? If I was Pakistani or Indian I would be ashamed and crying for my country taking food out of the mouths of my starving children and giving it to foreigners for a few pieces of paper. Chinese would never accept food being exported when Chinese are going hungry.

Meanwhile @ hafizzz's
desk%20flip.jpg
:D

Congrats china .. Have a nice biriyaani ..you will love it

No, they will not. It's kind of asking Chinese to take your faviourite curry everyday.. They wouldnt like the taste. The Chinese government let it in because there wouldn't be any impact in the market share.

No, they will not. It's kind of asking Chinese to take your faviourite curry everyday.. They wouldnt like the taste. The Chinese government let it in because there wouldn't be any impact in the market share.

That's what I trying to hint to them in my earlier post. In actual case, I think none of the chinese will perfer bamasti rice to sticky or thai rice because of the different in our food culture and taste bugs. Not to mentioned about the ridiculously high price. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom