What's new

China overwhelmed in Taiwan war scenario: simulation

The problem for China is the US can unload huge salvoes on Chinese ships and naval yards, and the US submarine force is by far the most advanced in the world. China will lose a huge amount of naval ships and capacity to produce more. Thereby defeating its ability to subdue Taiwan.
But in the moment of war, the shipyards won’t be relevant. It will be about the fleet they have. Which is why I don’t think they think they are ready, and won’t try till about 2035. At which point they will be preparing for the expected and developing munitions they think the US will use.

The key issue here is not secure the beach head, but rather how you can penetrate Taiwanese defence., security only matter if you can gain the foothold, and you can't penetrate modern defence with just putting men ashore Normandy Style. The only way to do that is to master the art of combine warfare. ie, the Chinese need to fulfill the following requirment all at the same time.

1.) Interdict Taiwanese resupply route sing air power
2;.) Protect your own supply line using sea power.
3.) Continuously bring the men onshore.
4.) Provide support to your ground troop onshore using both Air and Sea power.
5.) Provide ISTAR Target solution on all priority targeting.

You need to be able to preform all 5 to be able to secure the beachhead nowadays, if and when one of them failed, you will fail the landing. On paper, China have the required equipment to do the job, but then so we can say the Russian in Ukraine, and then Russia has been to war a few time before, China had none, and a land invasion is a lot less complicated than an amphibious landing, it's like asking China who had no real war experience at all to try on a Normandy style landing. A lot of things can go wrong.

Once we can deal with that, then we can start talking about how to secure the beach head, which is another set of problem altogether.

On the other hand, I don't think pushing the invasion later is more favorable to the Chinese, unless you are saying there is a real chance Chinese military power will be a lot more powerful than the US and EU combine, because from all the rhetoric, we can see a lot of support from both US and EU on Taiwan lately, which mean they will most likely back Taiwan in a fight with China, and that mean what China is dealing with is not just Taiwan itself, but the deep pocket of the US and EU, again, Taiwan unlike Ukraine, US and EU are probably more than willing to give them a blank cheque on whatever they want and will give them great number, I mean, if US cannot see a way out of a war between Taiwan and China, they will probably go mountain and sea to protect Taiwan, stealth technology or even NGAD will probably on the table for Taiwan. Because there would be no point on pleasing China on not to invade, by withholding those if they think the Chinese mind was made up.

So the later the invasion will almost certainly complicate the invasion on Chinese part. It only give Taiwan and its allies more time to prepare.
It will get more complicated, and perhaps as I said, we aren’t fully aware of the Chinese capabilities, so they may feel they are ready earlier rather than later, especially with the US tied down supporting Ukraine. Only time will tell.

Japanese or Americans wouldn't get involved directly in a conflict between China and Taiwan. It would be as we see with Ukraine indirect support which could be hard to do if china managed to blockade Taiwan.
You don't know that.

TOKYO -- If Japan and the U.S. were to become involved in a conflict between China and Taiwan, they would be able to prevent Beijing's takeover of the island, but at a heavy cost to their military personnel and equipment, think tank simulations show.

A tabletop wargame conducted by Japan's Sasakawa Peace Foundation showed Japan losing as many as 144 fighter jets, with Self-Defense Forces casualties reaching up to 2,500. The U.S. could lose up to 400 jets with over 10,000 soldiers killed or wounded. But China would fail to seize control of the island.

The exercise imagined a cross-strait crisis in which China attempts an amphibious invasion of Taiwan in the year 2026. The simulation was conducted over four days through Jan. 21.

The roughly 30 participants included former Japan Self-Defense Force officers as well as academics and researchers from Japan and the U.S.

The war game pitted the Chinese against Japanese, U.S. and Taiwanese forces. The Chinese military established a command center for the Taiwan front capable of deploying all air, submarine and surface vessel capabilities. The U.S. military responded by sending nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and state-of-the-art fighter jets to areas in and around Taiwan.

In Japan, the prime minister declared a national state of emergency and agreed to allow the U.S. to use SDF bases as well as civilian airports in Okinawa and Kyushu.

In the event of a real Taiwan conflict, Japan could invoke the right to collective self defense and send personnel to team up with the U.S., even if Japan did not come under direct military attacks from China.

In the exercise, Japan designated the conflict as an "existential threat" after learning that China was planning to attack SDF bases being used by the U.S. military.

Maritime Self-Defense Force warships, along with the fleet of F-35 fighters in the Air Self-Defense Force, took part in missile attacks against Chinese forces.

China was eventually overwhelmed by the U.S.-Japan response, with the conflict ceasing in a little over two weeks. China's military supply was cut off, and the final blow came when the coalition took control of airspace over Taiwan.

All told, China lost 156 warships, including two carriers, along with 168 fighter jets and 48 military transport aircraft, according to the scenario. More than 40,000 soldiers were killed or wounded.

The takeaway was that although a Chinese military takeover of Taiwan was thwarted, it came at heavy human and material costs to the self-governed island, the U.S. and Japan.

Taiwan saw 13,000 soldiers dead and wounded in the conflict, including prisoners of war, and lost 18 warships and 200 warplanes. U.S. casualties added up to 10,700 people, with the loss of 19 ships and 400 warplanes.

The JSDF lost 15 vessels and 144 fighter jets, including F-35s and F-2s. Japanese bases were targeted by China, resulting 2,500 casualties among SDF personnel. Civilian casualties ranged from a few hundred people to more than 1,000.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington think tank, also conducted a series of tabletop exercises last year that simulated a cross-strait conflict in 2026.

According to findings, released in January, China fails to successfully invade Taiwan in most of the 24 scenarios, but it comes at a substantial cost for Japan, as it loses over 100 warplanes and 26 warships in the base scenario.

Both the Sasakawa and CSIS exercises are premised on today's arsenals and capabilities in 2026, meaning an actual outcome in 2026 could be different if China significantly boosts its military power.

China is pursuing a rapid military buildup, and some experts say the military balance in the Western Pacific region will favor the country in 2025. In particular, China is racing to build up its arsenal of nuclear weapons.

The U.S. currently possesses 3,800 nuclear warheads to China's 350, according to last year's annual white paper by Japan's Ministry of Defense. On the other hand, China has 278 medium-range and intermediate-range ballistic missiles that can target Japan.

The U.S. does not possess those missiles because it is party to the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.

"We must make every possible preparation for substantial losses while we still can," said Tsuneo Watanabe, senior security fellow at the Sasakawa Peace Foundation.

Furthermore, China is making advances in information warfare, space development and cyber warfare.

"In the exercise, China tried everything it could to avoid war with the U.S.," said Watanabe. "There's the risk China might try to unify with Taiwan without any physical military conflict."

We believe you mate...

You don't know that.

I know it. You guys did not even get involved in Ukraine. What does Taiwan mean to you guys? Ukrainians are much closer to you guys yet you are letting them die.

Not all Taiwan population are against reunification with the mainland, once a war breaks out, many Pro China Taiwanese will be fighting from the inside, Communists just used 3 years to take over whole China, much due to lots of KMT troops and commanders switched side.

2022-08-02T110336Z_1909726982_RC2AOV956S9V_RTRMADP_3_USA-CHINA-TAIWAN.jpg
Very small portion of Taiwanese support a reunification with China UNDER CCP RULE.
That minority can be dealt with in case of a war. Since war is an exceptional circumstance, so they will be interned or dealt with. Just like China will deal with anyone they deem as a fifth columnists in their territory.
In fact even those Taiwanese who want a normalisation of relations with China just want peace, they don't really want to be under CCP rule, they just prefer the status quo which means a quasi independent sovereign Taiwan but without officially declaring independence. However if push comes to shove and China invades, many of them will still fight for Taiwan.

No but im pretty sure they wont. The alternative is Japan, China and US in ruins.
I think it's likely US will intervene (not sure about Japan, Australia).since the US considers China its biggest threat this coming decade not Russia.
Reason US doesn't fully support Ukraine the way they way they are capable of. Had it been China invading Ukraine for example then believe me Ukraine will be getting all the weapons they want from the US and even more. U.S would have basically open their full military vault to Ukraine. 😆

I know it. You guys did not even get involved in Ukraine. What does Taiwan mean to you guys? Ukrainians are much closer to you guys yet you are letting them die.
Here we go again. "We guys". Who is "we"?

I'm Greek,I'm not an American,I'm not British,I'm not French,I'm not German. If anything,YOU'RE more of a "we" than I am. You're Dutch. And Taiwan might have a different significance to the Americans. It might be more important. They might decide not to leave Taiwan alone. You don't know. They might have pressure from Japanese and South Koreans as well. "If you don't fight,then why should we? We could switch sides".

Well, traditional estimate there are around 500 J-10 of all variant in service with PLAF and around 180 J-16, (I mistyped as J-11 in my original post) and J-11 are too old to consider effective, if I have to count them, then I would also need to put Japan F-4EJ Kai and ROCAF F-5E Super Tiger/Mirage 2000 in play, that would negate that advantage.

Oon the other hand, Taiwan have around 200 F-16V, ~100 F-CK-1, JASDF have around 170 F-15J and around 90 F-2A, plus US have around 200-250 F-15/F-15E Strike Eagle, with around 500-600 F-16 in that area, that alone would have posted around 1100-1200 4th gen legacy fighter, excluding Naval Aviation.

Which mean you are talking about 400-600 advantage, on the other hand, all involving party also building new fighters, US is adding around 140 F-35 every year since 2021, Japan is getting around 140 F-35 in coming years and Taiwan is buying F-16V and they are also making new indigenous fighters plus will probably receive older F-16 from USAF boneyard stock. So if you add those number up, Chinese growing fleet advantage would also be negated.
As a MILITARY PROFESSIONAL, is really hard to count how many ject each side have???
PLAN
歼-10
22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
中国
J-10A、J-10S、J-10B、J-10C500+现役
歼-11
中国
J-11A、J-11B、J-11BS、J-11BG350-现役
歼-16
中国
J-16300+[21]现役
歼-20
中国
J-20A200+[22]现役
苏-27
22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
俄羅斯
Su-27UBK36-退役中
苏-30
俄羅斯
Su-30MKK76-現役
苏-35
俄羅斯
Su-35SK24现役

Oon the other hand, Taiwan have around 200 F-16V, ~100 F-CK-1, JASDF have around 170 F-15J and around 90 F-2A

Taiwan only have 140 35 years old F16 with ASEA update! Dont count something you dont have!!
F-16A/AM Block 20

F-16B/BM Block 20
112架

28架
原訂購150架,其中折損10架,現存140架
其中隨機抽調3架掛載偵照莢艙充當偵察機使用
已訂購66架F-16C/D Block 70,預計2025年開始交機

F-CK-1? that kind junk is that? a 30 years old tiny fighter with civilian engine? Can it beat J-7 MG?

JASDF ?
40 years old f15 that half of them can't even BVR!! Only 98 got BVR update and still don't have AESA radar!!! They are same age as the orginal SU-27 in China.
架數
F-15J/DJ200 架(原213架,13架已毀損)
F-35A 閃電II(Lightning II)27 架 (訂購105架,1架已毀損)[9]
F-35B 閃電II(Lightning II)0 架 (訂購42架)
F-2A/B91 架(原98架,7架已毀損)
USAF
200-250 F-15/F-15E Strike Eagle, with around 500-600 F-16 in that area
Oh! So where you hosting your 800 fighters in the area? Taiwan? Japan? Philippine? OR on the magic BOAT?

I think it's likely US will intervene (not sure about Japan, Australia).since the US considers China its biggest threat this coming decade not Russia.
Reason US doesn't fully support Ukraine the way they way they are capable of. Had it been China invading Ukraine for example then believe me Ukraine will be getting all the weapons they want from the US and even more. U.S would have basically open their full military vault to Ukraine. 😆

If the US commits it will need to be ready for all out war which will cause thousands of American deaths and the real likeihood the conflict spreads out of control with US bases being hit on the mainland and visa versa with China. With thousands of dead on the Chinese side as well its unlikely they will stop until they take Taiwan so there will only be escalation. That is a price I don't think the US will be willing to pay.

Dude it's a tiny island hardly 10 km away from Chinese border , if china only send a million Chinese with machine guns only they can take over the whole island
dude the narrowest crossing is 130 km. Did you give the Taiwan Strait an iron brother discount?

The problem for China is the US can unload huge salvoes on Chinese ships and naval yards, and the US submarine force is by far the most advanced in the world. China will lose a huge amount of naval ships and capacity to produce more. Thereby defeating its ability to subdue Taiwan.
You can ask the us force to attack the targets that on Russian's homeland now, and see what will happen after that.

Here we go again. "We guys". Who is "we"?

I'm Greek,I'm not an American,I'm not British,I'm not French,I'm not German. If anything,YOU'RE more of a "we" than I am. You're Dutch. And Taiwan might have a different significance to the Americans. It might be more important. They might decide not to leave Taiwan alone. You don't know. They might have pressure from Japanese and South Koreans as well. "If you don't fight,then why should we? We could switch sides".

Dude, Taiwan is no match for China. LOL at Taiwan would overwhelm China.

If the US commits it will need to be ready for all out war which will cause thousands of American deaths and the real likeihood the conflict spreads out of control with US bases being hit on the mainland and visa versa with China. With thousands of dead on the Chinese side as well its unlikely they will stop until they take Taiwan so there will only be escalation. That is a price I don't think the US will be willing to pay.

The Americans won't defend Taiwan. They aren't risking an all out war with China.

As a MILITARY PROFESSIONAL, is really hard to count how many ject each side have???
PLAN
歼-10
中国
J-10A、J-10S、J-10B、J-10C500+现役
歼-11
中国
J-11A、J-11B、J-11BS、J-11BG350-现役
歼-16
中国
J-16300+[21]现役
歼-20
中国
J-20A200+[22]现役
苏-27
俄羅斯
Su-27UBK36-退役中
苏-30
俄羅斯
Su-30MKK76-現役
苏-35
俄羅斯
Su-35SK24现役

The only number different from my quote are J-16 which very much doubt that 300+ given they were just 2015, and sure, put another 100 Su-35 in the slot, you are still being outplayed by US by around 300 - 500 fighter

Taiwan only have 140 35 years old F16 with ASEA update! Dont count something you dont have!!
F-16A/AM Block 20

F-16B/BM Block 20
112架

28架
原訂購150架,其中折損10架,現存140架
其中隨機抽調3架掛載偵照莢艙充當偵察機使用
已訂購66架F-16C/D Block 70,預計2025年開始交機

F-CK-1? that kind junk is that? a 30 years old tiny fighter with civilian engine? Can it beat J-7 MG?

First of all, we are talking about a war in 2027, not today, as your quote suggested, those F-16V order would have been delivered by 2025.

You do know the Taiwanese had upgraded all their F-CK-01 to the newer C/D version , it wasn't the same F-CK-01 that was delivered back in 1990. The last one finished upgrade in 2018. So are they still junk? Maybe you can also call ROC Viper Falcon junk since the Taiwanese Viper were upgrade from Block 25.

JASDF ?
40 years old f15 that half of them can't even BVR!! Only 98 got BVR update and still don't have AESA radar!!! They are same age as the orginal SU-27 in China.
架數
F-15J/DJ200 架(原213架,13架已毀損)
F-35A 閃電II(Lightning II)27 架 (訂購105架,1架已毀損)[9]
F-35B 閃電II(Lightning II)0 架 (訂購42架)
F-2A/B91 架(原98架,7架已毀損)

lol, you say that like the japanese are both incapable and unable to upgrade those aircraft.

USAF

Oh! So where you hosting your 800 fighters in the area? Taiwan? Japan? Philippine? OR on the magic BOAT?
Again, number is like arsehole, everybody has one, and what's more, the number I quote PLAF and the number you have a similar, and you want to know how US host 800 fighter in the area? Do you even know how many Airbase US had in the area between Japan, South Korea, Pacific (Guam, CNMI and so on) and Philippine?

You also need to count fighter that was not deployed to the immediate area (ie Japan, South Korea, US Pacific Territories and Philippine), but you can transport to and from that area easily, for example, Hicham Field in Hawaii is not immediately deployable in a war between China and Taiwan, but in a war that probably going to last more than 3 days, those aircraft can be ship to the frontline within 2 days timeframe, so if you have to count the US fighter aircraft AVAILABLE for this war, you will have to count US Air Base as far as in Singapore, Australia, Hawaii, or even Alaska or West Coast of the United States, because those fighter deployed in those field can be deployed to the frontline to replenish lost immediately. Those asset would have been used in the war.

it's the same when you count PLAAF, you don't just count the airbase next to or within 100 nmi of Taiwan, you count all their available air base in the general area, otherwise there won't be 500 J-10 or what have you for you to deploy... Or you really think you have 500 J-10 and 300 J-16 in the 10 or so airbase that is within striking distant on Taiwan?

Last edited:
We can count but unlike you, we also consider other factors in war, such as weather. China have only two windows, March-Apr or Sept-Oct, and each window is about 2-3 weeks before the weather become too harsh to sail the invasion fleet. In Desert Storm, our air campaign was 40 days and that was our decision. China will not have that luxury.

Not only that, the 'tooth to tail' ratio T3R is unlikely to work for China. T3R means the ratio of support troops per combat troops. But if strait weather discourage or even outright prevent such support, an invasion is practically impossible.

Now, am a USAF guy, F-111 (Cold War) then F-16 (Desert Storm), so I will use the Vietnam War as example. Over Viet Nam, the US was numerically superior to the VPAF. So what the MIG-21s did was hit-and-run tactic. The MIGs would dive and shoot at the bomb heavy American fighter-bombers, compelling them to jettison their bombs so they could maneuver. It does not matter if the MIGs had any kills. Their missions were to discourage the Americans from delivering bombs on North Vietnamese targets, and the VPAF succeeded many times.

What make you think the Taiwanese cannot do the same to Chinese pilots? And how long do you think Taiwan can keep that up? Not only that, we are not talking about the ROCAF but also Taiwanese air defense missile batteries. The four-ship formation is combat tested. For every PLAAF four-ship flight, all Taiwan has to do is hit one to reduce combat effectiveness of the attackers. All Taiwan has to do is survive that 2-3 weeks window and with US support, they certainly will.

Back
Top Bottom