What's new

China Outer Space Science, Technology and Explorations: News & Updates

Will China be taking the help of the americans in analyzing the lm5 failure ?
I don't think the Americans will help us but they are the only ones capable to help us now since this launcher is only second to theirs.

What's the reduction in service life envisaged ?
Maybe only 5 years left, this satellite is not the best Chinese satellite but then it is still one of top notch satellite buses in the world.

I don't think the Americans will help us but they are the only ones capable to help us now since this launcher is only second to theirs.

Maybe only 5 years left, this satellite is not the best Chinese satellite but then it is still one of top notch satellite buses in the world.
Are you aware that in the 90s while India was under sanctions from USA , and all the arm twisting of Russians regarding the cryogenic engines, USA was actively helping the Chinese in analyzing your rocket failures till 2000 ?

Are you aware that in the 90s while India was under sanctions from USA , and all the arm twisting of Russians regarding the cryogenic engines, USA was actively helping the Chinese in analyzing your rocket failures till 2000 ?
I hope US can transfer some technology to us too, you think you can convince Trump for me? I don't want to talk about India, but we all know how they ahem ahem India some cryo tech.

No one knows except the Chinese.

I would ask the question: "Would you have a non-functional satellite that drifts in space for years or a functional one that has a reduced lifespan (eg. 1/3 of its original designed life of 15 years)?"

I don't think I am ever debating those two options. Of course the satellite should be raised to correct orbit.

However, a news outlet should be informative. For a person who doesn't know much about space, that person may think that no harm was done, when there would be significant harm done.

I hope US can transfer some technology to us too, you think you can convince Trump for me?
I thought you guys had already "borrowed" all the space tech and other tech you needed ?
LA woman arrested on charges of smuggling US space technology to China
  • Chinese national accused of smuggling restrictive tech to Hong Kong
  • Feds say components commonly used in military communications jammers
Jeff Daniels | @jeffdanielsca
Tuesday, 23 May 2017 | 9:15 PM ETCNBC.com

102005970-121286920.530x298.jpg

Getty Images
A Los Angeles-area woman was arrested Tuesday by federal agents in a scheme to illegally export sensitive space communications technology to her native China, the U.S. Justice Department announced.

Va. scientist pleads guilty to selling rocket technology to China
  • By DENA POTTER
  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
NORFOLK,
A Virginia scientist pleaded guilty Monday to selling rocket technology to China and bribing Chinese officials to secure a lucrative contract for his high-tech company.

Quan-Sheng Shu, 68, pleaded guilty to two counts of violating the federal Arms Control Act and one count of bribery at a hearing in U.S. District Court in Norfolk.

Shu, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Shanghai, is president of AMAC International of Newport News.

Prosecutors said Shu, an expert in cryogenics, sold technology to China for the development of hydrogen-propelled rockets.

You guys have been working hard.

I don't think I am ever debating those two options. Of course the satellite should be raised to correct orbit.

However, a news outlet should be informative. For a person who doesn't know much about space, that person may think that no harm was done, when there would be significant harm done.
That satellite is as good as dead, my guess, maybe round 7-8 years worth of life since normally you can extend the life a lil from the 5 years.

I thought you guys had already "borrowed" all the space tech and other tech you needed ?
LA woman arrested on charges of smuggling US space technology to China
  • Chinese national accused of smuggling restrictive tech to Hong Kong
  • Feds say components commonly used in military communications jammers
Jeff Daniels | @jeffdanielsca
Tuesday, 23 May 2017 | 9:15 PM ETCNBC.com

Getty Images
A Los Angeles-area woman was arrested Tuesday by federal agents in a scheme to illegally export sensitive space communications technology to her native China, the U.S. Justice Department announced.

Va. scientist pleads guilty to selling rocket technology to China
  • By DENA POTTER
  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
NORFOLK,
A Virginia scientist pleaded guilty Monday to selling rocket technology to China and bribing Chinese officials to secure a lucrative contract for his high-tech company.

Quan-Sheng Shu, 68, pleaded guilty to two counts of violating the federal Arms Control Act and one count of bribery at a hearing in U.S. District Court in Norfolk.

Shu, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Shanghai, is president of AMAC International of Newport News.

Prosecutors said Shu, an expert in cryogenics, sold technology to China for the development of hydrogen-propelled rockets.

You guys have been working hard.
That's not borrowing, that's stealing and we paid hard money to that lady OK.

Jokes aside it bugs me that USA was sanctioning India while at the same time helping China improve its launch vehicles
Don't forget the Russians were helping India, China already had cryogenic technology, the problem was with that rocket model, not the cryogenic engine.

I think 7 years is being a bit optimistic. Since the spate of failures , the Chinese space agency has to put a positive spin on its expected life.
Will not be surprised if it comes down in a couple of years.
It could happen, but to me it is as good as dead. 5 years, 7 years, no point actually.

The fact is the satellite is saved and functioning 100% according to plan though we have compromised the future endeavour and endurance with consumption of reserve fuel intended for future orbital adjustments.

Congratulations on saving this magnificant project! :china:

images

But the rescue operation also used up precious fuel, which could mean a shorter lifespan for the satellite, Hu said. “The satellite might have had a lifespan of 15 years. It could have lost two or three years of that, depending on how much fuel was used,” he said.

The satellite will be used to broadcast high-definition television signals across the country, including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, according to Xinhua. It also has a special antenna aimed at the South China Sea to “secure China’s sovereign right” in the disputed waters by allowing government staff, military personnel and civilians on remote islands to watch TV from home, it said.
The satellite will undergo a series of tests before it begins operating, the corporation said. It was launched from a centre in Sichuan but the rocket started rolling after it entered space due to a technical glitch.

Surprise, relief as China’s key satellite makes it to orbit despite rocket launch failure

But the communication probe may have wiped two or three years off its lifespan by burning precious fuel to get back on track, scientist says

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 06 July, 2017, 10:01pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 06 July, 2017, 11:24pm

Chinese space authorities say an important communication satellite is now where it should be after it veered off course during a failed rocket launch last month.

The ChinaSat 9A probe was steered towards its target orbit on Wednesday, the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation said. It had ended up in the wrong orbit after the unsuccessful launch of the Long March 3B, or CZ-2B, on June 19.

That was followed by another setback for the space programme on Sunday, when the Long March 5 Y2 rocket carrying the Shijian-18 – an experimental satellite and the heaviest built by China – plunged into the Pacific Ocean. The two failures have raised concerns about possible delays to Beijing’s ambitious space missions, which include lunar exploration.

The corporation, which carries out most of the country’s space activities, said the satellite’s small thrusters had been fired up 10 times via its flight control centre in Xian, Shaanxi province. On Thursday it reached and remained at a fixed point above the equator in Southeast Asia – its original destination.

f8066a94-622f-11e7-badc-596de3df2027_600x_211605.JPG

Hu Weiduo, a spacecraft navigation and control scientist at Beihang University’s astronautics school, said the operation’s success was a relief. He said the manoeuvre was not uncommon – it’s been done by countries including Russia and the United States many times before – but it showed China was making progress on space technology and hardware.

China plans to grow potatoes in space ... like Matt Damon did in The Martian

“The satellite can manoeuvre in space with small thrusters, but its mobility is limited. It requires precise planning and reliable instruments to get it on the right track. I’m glad they made it,” said Hu, who was not directly involved in the mission.

But he said luck also played a part, and it would not have been possible to steer the satellite back if it had travelled too far off course.

“The error might have been relatively small. If the [angle of the] initial orbit was more than 10 or 20 degrees off the equatorial plane, it would have ended up as space junk and there would be nothing we could do,” Hu said.

China making plans to put people on the moon

But the rescue operation also used up precious fuel, which could mean a shorter lifespan for the satellite, Hu said. “The satellite might have had a lifespan of 15 years. It could have lost two or three years of that, depending on how much fuel was used,” he said.

Can China’s spaceplane give it the edge against US in space race?

The satellite will be used to broadcast high-definition television signals across the country, including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, according to Xinhua. It also has a special antenna aimed at the South China Sea to “secure China’s sovereign right” in the disputed waters by allowing government staff, military personnel and civilians on remote islands to watch TV from home, it said.

The satellite will undergo a series of tests before it begins operating, the corporation said. It was launched from a centre in Sichuan but the rocket started rolling after it entered space due to a technical glitch.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as:
Satellite back on track after failed rocket launch

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...se-relief-chinas-key-satellite-makes-it-orbit

New solid-fuel carrier rocket to be ready by 2018

2017-07-07 09:25

China Daily Editor: Feng Shuang

China is developing a carrier rocket that can be launched from ships at sea, according to a rocket scientist.

Tang Yagang, deputy director of carrier rocket development at the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology in Beijing, told reporters on Thursday that the rocket is being developed based on the academy's existing solid-fuel rocket and will be capable of sending a 500-kilogram satellite to a sun-synchronous orbit about 500 kilometers above Earth.

The academy only has one type of solid-fuel rocket-the Long March 11-which conducted its first mission in September 2015 and a second in November 2016.

"We plan to conduct some tests this year to verify the new rocket's design and technologies, and will put it on the market in 2018," he said on the sidelines of a conference in Beijing for users of China's Long March carrier rockets, held by China Great Wall Industry Corp, the nation's only authorized firm for international space collaboration.

Tang said that the new solid-fuel rocket will be launched from ships and will mainly carry out space launches for nations near the equator.

"This is especially suitable for those countries because a satellite launched near the equator will orbit above that line, so users along the equator will have more time each day to receive its data," Tang said. "Another advantage is that a sea-based launch involves fewer risks compared with launching over populated regions. Moreover, there is less chance of conflict with air traffic, increasing safety."

He added that compared with liquid-fuel rockets, a solid-fuel rocket requires less support from the launch facility. "Therefore we only need to refit a conventional cargo ship that has a displacement of 10,000 metric tons, which basically means installing a launchpad on it."

In addition, Tang said the Long March 8 medium-lift carrier rocket that is under development at his academy will conduct its first flight in around 2019.

Designers at the academy previously said the Long March 8 would satisfy the needs of commercial launches in domestic and international markets. It will be capable of sending about 4.5 metric tons of payload to a sun-synchronous orbit or 2.5 tons to a geosynchronous transfer orbit, according to researchers.

Fu Zhiheng, vice-president of China Great Wall Industry Corp, said his company has been sparing no efforts to promote the country's new-generation rockets.

"Our new-generation Long March 6 and Long March 11 can carry out a launch after a short time of preparation so are attractive to many clients," he said. "The sea-based launch service will also have good prospects because it meets some clients' requirements, and currently, there is no such service on the international market."

http://www.ecns.cn/2017/07-07/264395.shtml

Last edited:
Is this taught in CPC reeducation camp?
Go to a space forum and ask a space scientist what are some of the main determination to determine a country space technological prowess. I can assure you, it ain't about launching multiple mini cheap satellites with each weighing about 10lbs each. India boasting multi-satellite launch is a joke. LOL

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom