What's new

China Outer Space Science, Technology and Explorations: News & Updates

India comparing little bee to big bull type rocket again. With new technology and sophistication, there is a larger risk. LM-5 should be compare to Delta IV. Delta also had 1 failure in its initial launch but 8 successes. We still have time to fix this and I'm confident our scientist and engineer will find out after throughout investigation.

If I were made the new boss of CGTN Europe, I would make it as famous and as as popular as Eurovision Song Contest within a year ! :rofl:

the first thing I would do then, is to fire theese entire crew, useless dimwits!
CCTV and CGTN are worse than shit. I rather watch FOX. I'm sick of watching a bunch of foreign licking Chinese hosts licking hairy foreign balls.

Can satellites be used as an early warning system for landslides?
Published on: 3 July 2017

Researchers are working hard to use satellite data to accurately map the movement of the earth before a landslide in a bid to develop a life-saving early warning system.

Maoxian-Landslides-standard.jpg
If we can detect movement at a very early stage then in many cases it is likely we would have time put systems in place to save lives

The team from Newcastle University (UK), Chengdu University of Technology, Tongji University, China Academy of Space Technology and Wuhan University (China) have been tracking the devastating events of last week when a massive landslide struck Xinmo Village, Maoxian County, Sichuan Province in China.

Triggered by heavy rain, the Maoxian landslide swept away homes in Xinmo village, blocking a 2km section of river and burying 1,600 meters of road. The collapsed rubble was estimated to be about eight million cubic meters.

Three days later, a second landslide hit Xinmo Village and almost at the same time, a third landslide occurred in Shidaguan Town, 20km away from Xinmo Village.

Using ESA’s Sentinel-1 satellite radar mission - which comprises a constellation of two polar-orbiting satellites, operating day and night in all-weather conditions - the research team were able to capture before and after images of the landslides.

This provides vital information about the extent of the disaster which can be used to assess the damage and future risk in the area.

Detecting and mapping active landslides

Professor Zhenhong Li, Professor of Imaging Geodesy at Newcastle University, explains:

“It is still hard, if not impossible, to detect a landslide using traditional techniques, especially in mountain areas. Using the satellite radar data, we were able to efficiently detect and map the active landslide over a wide region, identifying the source of the landslide and also its boundaries.

“Going forward, we can use this information to set up real-time monitoring systems - such as GPS, Beidou and Galileo - for those sites and whenever we detect abnormal behaviour, the system can send out an early warning message.

“In fact, while we were monitoring the Maoxian landslides we managed to identify over 10 other active landslides in the same region and forwarded this information to the relevant agencies.”

Living with the constant threat of a landslide

Sichuan province is prone to earthquakes, including the devastating Great Wenchuan Earthquake of 2008 when a 7.9 magnitude quake hit the area, killing over 70,000 people.

Professor Li says their data suggests the Maoxian (Shidaguan) landslide had been sliding for at least six months before it failed.

“When you consider this sort of timescale it suggests that a landslide Early Warning System is not only possible but would also be extremely effective,” says Professor Li.

“If we can detect movement at a very early stage then in many cases it is likely we would have time put systems in place to save lives.”

Professor Li and the team have been working on active faults and landslides in Southwest China for over ten years and have identified several active landslides in the area south to Maoxian County but this is the first time they have studied the Maoxian region.

Ultimately, the team hope to use the technology to detect and map active landslides in the whole region of SW China, and then build a landslide database.

The research findings were presented at the Dragon-4 symposium in Copenhagen on 27 June 2017.

Maoxian Landslides - Press Office - Newcastle University

India comparing little bee to big bull type rocket again. With new technology and sophistication, there is a larger risk. LM-5 should be compare to Delta IV. Delta also had 1 failure in its initial launch but 8 successes. We still have time to fix this and I'm confident our scientist and engineer will find out after throughout investigation.
Bro, we still can't deny the fact that they still need to recheck their QC standards, we had such a perfect launch record before this past 2 years, rapid expansion is overstretching our manpower and management ability. Somebody need to take a step back and align themselves again.

The record of numerous rockets are not so bad. The often mentioned success rate to be considered good is a 95% success rate, so at least a ratio of 19 out of 20 launches.

From what I can gather on short notice:

Long March 2C: 40 out of 41
Long March 2D: 31 out of 32
Long March 2F: 13 out of 13
Long March 3B: 37 out of 40 (under 95%)
Long March 3C: 15 out of 15
Long March 4B: 28 out of 29
Long March 5: 1 out of 2 (under 95%)
Long March 7: 2 out of 2

Overall, its pretty good score across the board.

Figures are not true. Many long march had failed initially and china took help of scientist from abroad. Even last month the satellite had failed but chinese did not know that and they celebrated here for 2 days till the news came that it has failed. It is US who is monitoring the chinese satellite launches and that is why we come to know the failure of Chinese rockets otherwise they all are fully successful all the time.

CZ-5E_SJ-18_2.jpg

CZ-5E_SJ-18_1.jpg

CZ-5E_SJ-18_3.jpg

Spacerockets are critical systems... Failure is a normal thing in first launches!

Best of luck to the Chinese scientists and engineers...

On one hand they say that this rocket has 14 ton payload capacity and still I see rocket in full configuration. This seems fishy. When ISRO uses PSLV for lower payload, they removes boosters. If chinese rocket is really of 14 tom payload, I should not see this rocket with 4 booster.

While GSLV M2 has had 1 failure and since than 4 successive perfect launches.
So chinese LM5 SUCCESS RATE IS MAYBE 25%.
While GSLV M2 has a 80% success rate.

The accuracy what India achieved in GSLV MK2 flights were so awesome that china can not een think of haveing that accuracy. Just few meters in two digit in apogee and perigee in its last 2 launches. This gives satellites longer lives.

Ohhhhh You are becoming too polite now. Actually, whole gang tries to find fault not out of any failure but also out of stunning success of India. You are the guys who has number of time wrote here that India's success on Mars is attributable to NASA.

Actually, there is no surprise in repeated failure of chinese rockets as this is chinese mall hence it is bound to malfunction and fail.

Have you seen me laughing at Indian failures? I will never stoop so low ok. I might question Indian technology and achievements but I will never celebrate and antagonize Indians over launch failures.

Chinese rockets and Chinese malls are two different things, and I can sense so much hatred from you. I might ridicule and argue with Indians, but I have no hatred to you guys, it's natural to have competition and rivalry.

Questioning your 'success' is different from celebrating someones failure bro. You need to chill. Rivalry is a common thing afterall.

Who celebrates here except one two guys? You even mock our success. We do not consider you as rival. Nobody is our rival as we do not do anything to outsmart anyone. We have our goals and missions. We are perusing that and in that pursuance, Success come in our way. Our goal is to slash down launching cost to just 10% of our current cost which is already cheapest. In next decade we shall have reusable rockets of very high efficiency. We do not consider you as the rival.

He is the good cop. The bad cops are keeping a long distance from these failure threads.
Why not search his comments and see where he is coming from ?
Sinosoldier is the only normal chinese i find in this site , others are all paid posters.
Just because I question Indian 'success' that makes me a bad cop? You should see how hawkish and insulting some Indian posters are, of course it is a chain reaction right? You become hawkish. But never stoop so low to insult a launch failure, that is a NONO. If you still insist on it, go ahead, mods will clean it up.

MULU, China lobbed 20+ satellite to space in one launch, to me that is nothing advanced! You need to start accepting criticism on your 'successes' and see beyond it.

read the comment of your chinese. This is not posted to point any 20 satellite as we have launched 104 and if have the capability to launch up to 300 provided we have that much satellites.

read the comment of your chinese. This is not posted to point any 20 satellite as we have launched 104 and if have the capability to launch up to 300 provided we have that much satellites.
I have been trying to tell you it is fruitless to have this dick measuring contest, there is no advanced technology involved. You lob 20, I lob 100, next someone will lob 1000 nut sized satellites. Get it? If Indian technology is truly novel and advanced, I will have no choice but to accept it, example one field I think India is ahead is in breeder reactors, which is still under commissioning. Once fully commission, you can proudly declare India is ahead.

And I would say, game on, we shall compete with you and make a even better one.

I think Longmarch-5 will have about another 1-3 times fail launch
New generation rockets will be some bugs at first , eg. Ariane 5 ,Falcon 9, Ariane 5 failed 4 times during its first 14 times lauch

I have been trying to tell you it is fruitless to have this dick measuring contest, there is no advanced technology involved. You lob 20, I lob 100, next someone will lob 1000 nut sized satellites. Get it? If Indian technology is truly novel and advanced, I will have no choice but to accept it, example one field I think India is ahead is in breeder reactors, which is still under commissioning. Once fully commission, you can proudly declare India is ahead.

And I would say, game on, we shall compete with you and make a even better one.

So no technology is involved in launch of 104 satellie or in Mars mission or any planatory exploration??

Only technology involved is More weight lifting capability right?

Wait, we are going to surpass you guys in that area also.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom