What's new

China on track to aim 2,000 missiles at Taiwan

Except that they'll lose universal sufferage, numerous constitutional amendment rights, face communist influence in the upper house, which will deter any move to self determination, and be excluded from any international organizations as the other 2 SARs have since their return. They will also lose their status as an ally and of the United States, which will result in a withdrawal and export restrictions of various dual-use technologies, including TSMC's core processing plants, and an American brain drain of all its military engineers, whom the ROC Armed Forces spent decades to nurture.

In other words, if Taiwan were to return, it'd be a piece of wasteland with no technology, resourses or arms. I believe the status quo works best for both the mainlanders and Taiwanese.
Where did you get this funny notion that all those achievements by the people in Taiwan are due to American help????

Yeah, US had those personnels in Taiwan before, but that was before 1979. Even for the IDF program, look what kind of crappy deal they got from the American companies. Most of their military technology are researched by Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology. If there is any American involvement, please let me know. I believe PRC's government like to know that too. TSMC was set up by Industrial Technology Research Institute, all of their own patents are owned by People from Taiwan (most of them studied EE in US and some of them might even hold US passport if that is what you meant by US's help). So even without US, they can still hold their own ground. They are not stupid if that is what you are implying.

US is their Ally's? Well, US was before 1979, and how that ended. Don't be naive to think that people in Taiwan really trust US government. They know that to US they are nothing more than cannon fodder.

And no, they definitely will not lose any rights that they have right now just as HK. As for the universal suffrage record as concerned, it has been pretty pathetic except it definitely has some entertainment value.

Last edited:
Except that they'll lose universal sufferage, numerous constitutional amendment rights, face communist influence in the upper house, which will deter any move to self determination, and be excluded from any international organizations as the other 2 SARs have since their return. They will also lose their status as an ally and of the United States, which will result in a withdrawal and export restrictions of various dual-use technologies, including TSMC's core processing plants, and an American brain drain of all its military engineers, whom the ROC Armed Forces spent decades to nurture.

In other words, if Taiwan were to return, it'd be a piece of wasteland with no technology, resourses or arms. I believe the status quo works best for both the mainlanders and Taiwanese.

I afraid you're being a bit alarmist. I heard a lecture on this recently and according to this prof from UCLA, the offer was much more generous than that offered to Hongkong. Taiwan would retain its political system the same as Hongkong did only with no expiration date (Hongkong's autonomous government is only guaranteed for 50 years under the Deng-Thatcher agreements)

I mean Hongkong is doing fine, and we heard the same "the sky is falling" warning in 1997 with various business people taking their assets abroad. But they've came back pretty quickly and started doing business again.

Hong Kong has ranked as the world's freest economy in the Wall Street Journal and Heritage Foundation's Index of Economic Freedom for 16 consecutive years, since the inception of the index in 1995

And again the CCP has been pretty good about not interfering in Hongkong politics either. This benefits both sides as it allows companies who are skittish about doing business in the mainland to have peace of mind when it comes to Hongkong.

Please don't let prejudice taint our discussions. Not all mainlanders are out to goose-step our way through the world and the CCP learnt the hard way the carrot is more effective than the stick.

I mean Hongkong is doing fine, and we heard the same "the sky is falling" warning in 1997 with various business people taking their assets abroad. But they've came back pretty quickly and started doing business again.

And again the CCP has been pretty good about not interfering in Hongkong politics either. This benefits both sides as it allows companies who are skittish about doing business in the mainland to have peace of mind when it comes to Hongkong.

Please don't let prejudice taint our discussions. Not all mainlanders are out to goose-step our way through the world and the CCP learnt the hard way the carrot is more effective than the stick.

As a Hong Kong person myself, I have to say that you are 100% correct. :cheers:

In my experience, the vast majority of Hong Kong people are happy with the state of affairs after the 1997 handover, including myself.

In fact, I even use a Chinese flag on my profile instead of a Hong Kong flag.

Anyone is welcome to visit Hong Kong, and see for yourself how we are doing. :thinktank:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom