What's new

China Needs to Make a Military Strike Now - My Personal Assessment

There are no land border disputes, only sea-based disputes. So no chance for ground war, any conflict will be a Naval conflict, backed up with Air force and missile inventories.
Agreed, by why should China wish for this? Won't China eventually have to face the same area denial weapons that it has developed against the US Navy?

Correct, both of you. China , currently, does not want to engage anyone militarily now. They are at the cusp of a modernization process and building up their blue water naval capability, enhancing their army units (even reducing their numbers for more qualitative material), as well as building up their air force.

I have been to China many times in my life and been there recently this January (was in Hong Kong for a week vay cay..! :sleep: :fans:)

I know how Chinese people and they are not pro-war , they are too busy in professional development. Like any modernizing and developing country. Okay! I mean, people in this thread are a bit radical (just a bit), and they don't represent the overall population. There are over 130,000 Japanese living and working in China as well as some 700,000 Chinese living and working in Japan. Millions more who have both Japanese and Chinese ancestry. China is too busy developing itself ... and war will only affect business opportunities in their country, and a leap backwards for them.

We don't wish for war. Our policy is "China's peaceful rise".

You are a refreshing Chinese poster to read. Much of what I have read is anything but peaceful, and very much cheerleading for war. But I realize this is the internet, where anonymity causes people to say things they would not say to someone in real life.

China has become somewhat uncharacteristic since the US announced its "pivot". Usually they seemed very measured, very calculated, and in no hurry to make a mistake. It seems they were caught off-guard by the move, thinking that America would be bogged down in the Middle East for decades to come.

The multiple claims to disputed territory, the unilateral ADZ, and the aggressive behavior towards its neighbors, and the neo-nationalist sentiment just doesn't feel like the "Art of War" China that has more experience with war than the US has been a country.

My point is that you are obviously a level-headed person, and maybe can see why the "peaceful rise" mantra isn't quite as convincing it was 24 months ago or so.

Correct, both of you. China , currently, does not want to engage anyone militarily now. They are at the cusp of a modernization process and building up their blue water naval capability, enhancing their army units (even reducing their numbers for more qualitative material), as well as building up their air force.

I have been to China many times in my life and been there recently this January (was in Hong Kong for a week vay cay..! :sleep: :fans:)

I know how Chinese people and they are not pro-war , they are too busy in professional development. Like any modernizing and developing country. Okay! I mean, people in this thread are a bit radical (just a bit), and they don't represent the overall population. There are over 130,000 Japanese living and working in China as well as some 700,000 Chinese living and working in Japan. Millions more who have both Japanese and Chinese ancestry. China is too busy developing itself ... and war will only affect business opportunities in their country, and a leap backwards for them.

Exactly, our main goal is to become a developed country.

Getting into a war would hurt our economic development.

And who wants a war anyway? Why should people die, when they could be living and contributing to the nation?

totaly cute...
Exactly, our main goal is to become a developed country.

Getting into a war would hurt our economic development.

And who wants a war anyway? Why should people die, when they could be living and contributing to the nation?

LOL. I don't care what some radical PDF posters say, all i know is that Japan Air Lines flights from Nagoya to Shanghai is always jam packed. As well as from Shanghai to Nagoya. :rofl:

Politics is politics, but the average Japanese and Chinese have their own realities to face. Back to business.

My point is that you are obviously a level-headed person, and maybe can see why the "peaceful rise" mantra isn't quite as convincing it was 24 months ago or so.

"China's peaceful rise" is our official policy. Others may not believe it (which is somewhat understandable), but that's our goal. And since there have been no wars, it had been successful so far at least.

We are the ones gaining the most from the status quo, by far. We are adding a trillion dollars to our economy every single year. So it makes no sense for us to rock the boat.

Chinese leaders can be criticized for a lot of things, but I do not believe they are stupid, they won't derail our development process (and thus their own legitimacy) for such a silly reason.

"China's peaceful rise" is our official policy. Others may not believe it (which is somewhat understandable), but that's our goal. And since there have been no wars, it had been successful so far at least.

We are the ones gaining the most from the status quo, by far. We are adding a trillion dollars to our economy every single year. So it makes no sense for us to rock the boat.

Chinese leaders can be criticized for a lot of things, but I do not believe they are stupid, they won't derail our development process (and thus their own legitimacy) for such a silly reason.

I agree it would not make sense, and obviously that they are not stupid. But "rocking the boat" seems to be going on, on a weekly basis. There are some things you cannot always predict with 100% accuracy, and recent actions have left the door open for misunderstandings or accidental shooting.

I agree it would not make sense, and obviously that they are not stupid. But "rocking the boat" seems to be going on, on a weekly basis. There are some things you cannot always predict with 100% accuracy, and recent actions have left the door open for misunderstandings or accidental shooting.

That's right. Honestly I do not believe any of the sides here really "want" a war, the danger is miscalculation that may lead to escalation.

As for rocking the boat, all sides push for their interests at one point or another, such as Japan's nationalization of the disputed islands, or our recent setting up of the oil rig around our owned Xisha islands.

But there will be no war.

As a Hong Konger, I can say my family along with many others were worried about the 1997 handover. I was only a kid back then, but I remembered it clearly.

But it was solved with negotiation, not war. Same with the recent territorial swap between China and Tajikistan, the border dispute was peacefully negotiated. No war.

China could have taken HK back with a war, and despite the British Navy being very strong, the geography means they could not have stopped it. But instead of a war, China negotiated, and waited.

As Chinese people, we have had a terribly bloody history for the past 200 years. Now we have a chance to become developed, no one will throw that away for a needless war. Instead we will negotiate, and we will wait.

China has become somewhat uncharacteristic since the US announced its "pivot". Usually they seemed very measured, very calculated, and in no hurry to make a mistake. It seems they were caught off-guard by the move, thinking that America would be bogged down in the Middle East for decades to come.

Frankly, that's an oversimplification of the matter. For one thing, the pivot did not start with Mrs. Clinton as the Secretary of State. It has always been a Pacific power and the presence of many military bases has been a constant reminder to the Chinese government.

Thus China has not become more uncharacteristic than when it took back the islands from Vietnam in the first place. Let's say it was just bound to happen. Politics accepts no vacuum; if China did not fill it, someone else (as many are trying to do) would have.

Also, some of Chinese actions are proactive whereas a great maany of them are still reactive. There has to be a balance in proportion to national strength. Given that China has 14 land borders whereas the US has only 2 and that the Chinese national unification has been completed (sort of) way later than that of the US, we may not say China has been unsuccesful to create a zone of peace across its land borders.

The issue remains with maritime borders.

The multiple claims to disputed territory, the unilateral ADZ, and the aggressive behavior towards its neighbors, and the neo-nationalist sentiment just doesn't feel like the "Art of War" China that has more experience with war than the US has been a country.

The claims have been there for eternity; it is just that China began to act on them. Again, that's an outcome of careful planning: Before a rational nation takes a step, it calculates its and the prospective opponents' strengths and weaknesses. Looks like China decided to take this many steps. The reality is, China has never sacrificed its sovereignty for the sake of peace. That's even not a tribal thinking.

The ADZ pales into insignificance considering Japan's own grossly extensive ADIZ. And that matter has already become a new norm.

I think the enduring difference between China and the US will remain three-pronged:

1. China will never assume the leadership of a military alliance of any sort against another bloc or party.

2. China will never initiate a war of agression on a weaker power (again except its historical claims). So, you will not see Chinese soldiers being killed on distant lands.

3. China will keep its no-first use policy.

Given these solid policy frameworks, what some unanimous members tell here does not really count even a bit. Nations do not wage wars because there is a storm going on in online forums. Also we need to consider the likelihood of false-flaggers who pretend to be someone that they are not. The OP of this thread does not even have his flag displayed and he said in one of his posts he is not from China.

In general, Chinese members here are against a military adventurism although they overwhelmingly support Chinese actions to protect its sovereignty.

Besides, I am sure you know very well how much hatred and war-mongering is going on in US-dominated forums. Heck, just look at the comments in shangaiist any given day. The amount of blatant racism, hatred and xenophobia is dazzling. I am surprised that the authorities have not taken down that piece of crap--or at least disabled comments.

Last edited:
But there will be no war.
As of now China is squeezing Vietnam like a ball, and it's only a matter of time before the ball bounces. Vietnam can either bounce back and hit China in the face, or bounce off to other players, namely the US leading team.

Sure there will be no war, just skirmish all over again just like the border conflict between VN and China before the land treaty. The DOC may put an end to this tension.

As of now China is squeezing Vietnam like a ball, and it's only a matter of time before the ball bounces. Vietnam can either bounce back and hit China in the face, or bounce off to other players, namely the US leading team.

Sure there will be no war, just skirmish all over again just like the border conflict between VN and China before the land treaty. The DOC may put an end to this tension.

Let's not turn this into a Xisha islands thread. There are plenty of threads on that subject.

Do the young Chinese even realize why there are US troops in Japan? Do they know about the Burma road? Or the Flying Tigers?

Or how China would help US airmen who bombed Japan, but didn't have enough fuel to return so had to crash-land in China? Yes we have had low points in the relationship, but I find the anti-US rhetoric by some quite puzzling.
the Burma road and Flying tigers are well known stories in china, u should ask ur government why keep demonizing china for 50 year, and CNN bullshit.

Why don't you share profits with VietNam? That might improve relations.
Viet Nam's policy regarding this disputed water of the Paracels and Spratly is not to engage in any kind of negotiation/joint development of resources in both areas unless China agrees to return to the pre-1974 border ie returning the Western part of the Paracels to Viet Nam (China can keep the Eastern part of the Paracels). If China is willing to return just one island over a successive time frame like one per several decades; Viet Nam would have been more than happy to engage in dialogue to exploit the resources between the overlapping EEZ claims with China. However, China has ZERO intention to return the western part of the Paracels to Viet Nam, we have no choice. Simply put, China does not play ball.

Viet Nam's policy regarding this disputed water of the Paracels and Spratly is not to engage in any kind of negotiation/joint development of resources in both areas unless China agrees to return to the pre-1974 border ie returning the Western part of the Paracels to Viet Nam (China can keep the Eastern part of the Paracels). If China is willing to return just one island over a successive time frame like one per several decades; Viet Nam would have been more than happy to engage in dialogue to exploit the resources between the overlapping EEZ claims with China. However, China has ZERO intention to return the western part of the Paracels to Viet Nam, we have no choice. Simply put, China does not play ball.
Chinese national pride does not allow them to take any steps back when dealing with inferior nations, namely Vietnam and Phillipine. Especially Vietnam, because many Chinese think that thanks to only China helps Vietnam could win the war against the US and Vietnam should be forever in debt to China.

Back
Top Bottom