What's new

China-India ties to be big story of 21st century: Rao

Typical of the pathetic, spineless and weak GOI here as we all know. Everytime we extend the hand and get slapped back only to sit and brood. No wonder our strategic planning department is being rusted by such stupid dove-heads in this ruling softy, pitiable government.

We in India have the tendency of seeing China with suspected coz the of the kinds of developments along our borders. Which an be solved.

What are these developments? I asked this not to question not to be disingenuous or doubt these developments but I just want to know what they are.

Most common Indians don't consider Chinese as enemies. For us the number one concern is terrorism and national security. The rest is just media hype and no one really cares or take seriously what they report.

As for the suspicion part.. you have your own Chinese members to blame. They create and join in any India-bashing tread and start to bring in poverty and toilets.

yeah indian members are so innocent arent they, typical indian mentality always acted as though they are the victim.

The relationship between India and China is a complex one but will be the 'big story of the 21st century', Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said.

In an interview with Karan Thapar in CNN-IBN's Devil's Advocate programme, Rao said that an 'intelligently transacted dialogue' enables both the interlocutors to place their issues, which leads to 'greater responsiveness and sensitivity to these issues'.

She said: 'I believe what that points to is the fact that this relationship, the relationship between India and China, is going to be the big story of the 21st century'.

'A story based on dialogue, which we intend to conduct intelligently and which we intend to conduct with confidence so that our concerns are protected always,' she added.

'That is exactly the context I referred to when I spoke of the complexity in the relationship. And that is what dialogue, intelligently transacted dialogue, enables you to do when you seek more responsiveness from the other side about your concerns; this is exactly so that we are able to place these issues in context and to seek the other side's focus on this issue and greater responsiveness and sensitivity to these issues,' said Rao, a former Indian ambassador to China.

Rao, who was previously Indian ambassador to China, said the two Asian giants not only have a multi-pronged, multi-sectoral dialogue but were also consulting each other on multilateral issues.

'I think there is a multi-sectoral dialogue with China on the bilateral front and if you look at the global multilateral front, there are increasing areas of convergence... And so this is really, as I said, the trajectory along which we hope the dialogue develops,' she said.

India and China had fought a border war in 1962 but have since witnessed an increasing economic relationship, with trade volume expected to increase to $60 billion by the end of this year.

There had been a few hiccups in recent months, but Rao said that there were enough institutional mechanisms to let the two sides to keep talking to each other.

'Here in officialdom we deal with realities. And let me tell you the reality of the situation is that the border between India and China has been peaceful for the last few decades and the effort from both sides is to ensure that the mechanisms that we have put in place for confidence-building and for the maintenance of peace and tranquillity work well, and there is constant communication between the two sides,' she said

China-India ties to be big story of 21st century: Rao

india politicians and its media is so obsessed with china to the level that they have to compare india with china with almost everything, when the comon wealth officials were question about corruption they replied china having the same problem during the beijing olympics. As for china-india ties, it is just a one sided love affair, i have nt seen or heard china tolk abt ties with india, infact we want nothing to do with india, so please leave china alone, let us get on with our work, go compare yrself with america instead

india politicians and its media is so obsessed with china to the level that they have to compare india with china with almost everything, when the comon wealth officials were question about corruption they replied china having the same problem during the beijing olympics. As for china-india ties, it is just a one sided love affair, i have nt seen or heard china tolk abt ties with india, infact we want nothing to do with india, so please leave china alone, let us get on with our work, go compare yrself with america instead

what is wrong with comparing with China? China has achieved some spectacular growth....and the more we compare with china the more the public feels we must grow too...I actually feel that the Chinese should be proud that other countries in the region are trying to catch up to it. I don't understand this pesimissm:undecided:....

you want nothing to do with india? well that sucks...we are neighbours mate :D...you can't just wish us away...we must cooperate, solve our differences and move forward...

luffy

ChinaChina, Dont you think there are something great that is why we always talk aout you? Most of us here in forum or in India, actually admire Chinese for their achievements and success the reason is that we were in same position in '50s and you are the one who actually showed us the path to grow. This is the reason we discuss Mumbai to be like Shanghai.. In China, case is not the same as one always looks ahead to get inspire hence Chinese see US (or somewhat Japan) as role model..

The only problem between us is '62 war which is treated as backstabbing from China side and then Arunachal Pradesh (or may be Dalai Lama).. Hence we try to match up with you for defence.. If there would be a proper gesture on these petty issues then trust me all is well between us..

What are these developments? I asked this not to question not to be disingenuous or doubt these developments but I just want to know what they are.

CS, the developments along the border always create suspicion between us. few of them are:-

1) Developement of proper transportation near to ALOC/Tibet and AP.

2) Developing full fledged air bases in these areas.

3) Skirmish in Sikkim

4) Giving staples visa to kashmiris.

5) Using disputed region of Kashmir of other side & GB for transportation.

6) No clear stance has been developed from Chinese government side on all these issue.

Hence lack of trust is actual cause, If this will be take care of we dont have any big issue. We believe in moving on as we did earlier for Tibet and Sikkim.

Ahhh two great civilizations...5000years old...two civilized people joining hands against the barbaric westerners....its really a romantic idea....epic is the word really. :cool:

However as much as the Chinese want us to understand them, they need to understand the Indian psyche too. From what I gather these are some of the doubts which form in both of our minds

1. What if the Chinese just see us as slaves, they'll invade and then colonize us just like the goras (Britishers) ?

2. What if they despise us and will keep hurting/fingering us until they're paid back in kind ?

3.What if Chinese extend their hand, but the paranoid Indians do something foolish ?

4. What if it the Indians are just pseudo westerners and they'll blindly follow whatever their masters tell them ?

btw my thoughts are kind of 2ish :azn: and a little 3ish :cheesy:

:pop::pop:

Last edited:
1. What if the Chinese just see us as slaves, they'll invade and then colonize us just like the goras (Britishers) ?

Can not be true. If China wants to do that, it would have done it already in the 5000 years of its history. The only China that was close to a full scale invasion was from Mongols who also conquered China. China's neighbors like Vietnam and Korea became vassal states to China, but never as colonies.

2. What if they despise us and will keep hurting/fingering us until they're paid back in kind ?

I can not deny that there is some sentiments like that in a small group of Chinese, however most of those sentiments are because Indians are poor rather than being Indian itself. Those people despise anyone who is poorer than they are including Chinese themselves.

3.What if Chinese extend their hand, but the paranoid Indians do something foolish ?
In the history, China as a great power was never being expansionist. The boundary of China changed very little throughout the history, most of its expansion of the boundary came under the reign of foreign power such of Mongol and Manchurians.

4. What if it the Indians are just pseudo westerners and they'll blindly follow whatever their masters tell them ?
Well, one thing will never change is the color of your skin, and the culture rooted in your blood. You need to get your acts together and know who you really are. For a period of time in the past, China was like that too.

Last edited:
Actually I tried to write down apprehensions in both Chinese (from my perspective) and Indian minds, sorry if my post was a bit convoluted ( my writing style generally is :P )

----an Indian doubt

-----a Chinese doubt from what I gather

-----a Chinese doubt again I guess

We are Friends !!!! :smitten::smitten:

IN17_IND14149B_4733f.jpg

its because we love you!!:smitten::smitten::smitten:Indians are crazy about china only you don't feel our warmth...today in a Pantaloons store i met a Chinese couple...they had some language problem...i helped them...they were here for some energy project!!

Indians are crazy about china only you don't feel our warmth...today in a Pantaloons store i met a Chinese couple...they had some language problem...i helped them...they were here for some energy project!!

Most Chinese people I know have a great admiration for Indian culture and for Indian people. :cheers:

On the internet though there are a lot of Chinese "ultra-nationalists" who don't like anyone at all, not even other Chinese people. They don't represent how the average Chinese person feels.

Back
Top Bottom