What's new

China-India ties to be big story of 21st century: Rao

dee

Reaction score
The relationship between India and China is a complex one but will be the 'big story of the 21st century', Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said.

In an interview with Karan Thapar in CNN-IBN's Devil's Advocate programme, Rao said that an 'intelligently transacted dialogue' enables both the interlocutors to place their issues, which leads to 'greater responsiveness and sensitivity to these issues'.

She said: 'I believe what that points to is the fact that this relationship, the relationship between India and China, is going to be the big story of the 21st century'.

'A story based on dialogue, which we intend to conduct intelligently and which we intend to conduct with confidence so that our concerns are protected always,' she added.

'That is exactly the context I referred to when I spoke of the complexity in the relationship. And that is what dialogue, intelligently transacted dialogue, enables you to do when you seek more responsiveness from the other side about your concerns; this is exactly so that we are able to place these issues in context and to seek the other side's focus on this issue and greater responsiveness and sensitivity to these issues,' said Rao, a former Indian ambassador to China.

Rao, who was previously Indian ambassador to China, said the two Asian giants not only have a multi-pronged, multi-sectoral dialogue but were also consulting each other on multilateral issues.

'I think there is a multi-sectoral dialogue with China on the bilateral front and if you look at the global multilateral front, there are increasing areas of convergence... And so this is really, as I said, the trajectory along which we hope the dialogue develops,' she said.

India and China had fought a border war in 1962 but have since witnessed an increasing economic relationship, with trade volume expected to increase to $60 billion by the end of this year.

There had been a few hiccups in recent months, but Rao said that there were enough institutional mechanisms to let the two sides to keep talking to each other.

'Here in officialdom we deal with realities. And let me tell you the reality of the situation is that the border between India and China has been peaceful for the last few decades and the effort from both sides is to ensure that the mechanisms that we have put in place for confidence-building and for the maintenance of peace and tranquillity work well, and there is constant communication between the two sides,' she said

China-India ties to be big story of 21st century: Rao

The Indian side can butter chinese as much as they wish. The sentiments towards India can defined here by few chinese members.

The Indian side can butter chinese as much as they wish. The sentiments towards India can defined here by few chinese members.

ppl of india-pakistan want to get close relationship,but their govt are the hurdles.if one or two says ,it doesnt mean govt says the same.

understood or not

The India side can butter chinese as much as she wishes. The sentiments towards China can defined here by anti-China Indian Media.

^the above seems more appropriate.

The India side can butter chinese as much as she wishes. The sentiments towards China can defined here by anti-China Indian Media.

^the above seems more appropriate.

the dividing line between India is neither its people nor their media but the difference in their government..while one is a full one democracy other is a communist dictatorship.....try to be more legitimate in your views rather than showing everyone how full of crap you are!!!

the dividing line between India is neither its people nor their media but the difference in their government..while one is a full one democracy other is a communist dictatorship.....try to be more legitimate in your views rather than showing everyone how full of crap you are!!!

Then it is worse. While in a dictatorship the government is trying to curb any resentment of its population and propagate peace toward India among its own citizens, and in democracy free media and some big mouth politicians are trying to breed more hatre and instigate its population against China.

Last edited:
If a major politicians of 3rd country says that "China-India ties to be big story of 21st century" then there is more legitimacy to the statement. If its said by an Indian or Chinese politician, its just a one sided affair.

If a major politicians of 3rd country says that "China-India ties to be big story of 21st century" then there is more legitimacy to the statement. If its said by an Indian or Chinese politician, its just a one sided affair.

Why its is one sided affair? Can you explain it or you just wanna type something ?

what do you mean by 3rd country?

what do you mean by 3rd country?

Why its is one sided affair? Can you explain it or you just wanna type something ?

This is actually part of the problem. China to India is still a bugaboo, anything we or China says is immediately viewed with suspicion by some of the Indian members. (even when it is completely innocuous like here)

Initially, I really liked this forum. But after following few threads, there's nothing new to read, same old fighting in every thread without even discussing the merits.

This is actually part of the problem. China to India is still a bugaboo, anything we or China says is immediately viewed with suspicion by some of the Indian members. (even when it is completely innocuous like here)

Most common Indians don't consider Chinese as enemies. For us the number one concern is terrorism and national security. The rest is just media hype and no one really cares or take seriously what they report.

As for the suspicion part.. you have your own Chinese members to blame. They create and join in any India-bashing tread and start to bring in poverty and toilets.

I dont really think Chinese people see India as a threat. :cheers:

We in India have the tendency of seeing China with suspected coz the of the kinds of developments along our borders. Which an be solved.

A country that is neither China nor India.
I know that, so if a 3rd country other than China and India says that China-India ties to be big 21st century then it makes sense?.

Back
Top Bottom