What's new

CHINA- emerging Superpower

I am not from hong Kong, but I know that HK people called the policemen Cha Yan, local nickname for policemen, and Cha Po for policewomen.

Many of early colonial Hong Kong policemen were from India, I think that is why they were call Ah Cha. I don't think it is racist remark.

dont count my comments today.. its silly isnt it..?? i can post as many as i want....(but not a single one is racist.. ironically my very first comment was to deplore a chinese LOLLOL itself.!!, using racial slur against Indians which was deleted by mods.. )

one day..?? count racist posts over a long period...and you chinese win hands down....

i think u r new to forum and not followed it much before...and dont know past...so will give u benefit of doubt....:)

Don't drag me into this whole racism stuff, because that wasn't the point of my earlier statement. I wanted to know why the people here keep derailing threads on normal military news like 'China develops this and that' into 'well India has done it already/are doing it/will do it better in the future'. If you'll notice the racist remarks usually starts after the above happens.

And please don't patronise me, I'm more a 'lurker' than a poster and have visited this forum for long enough.

Just because someone does something bad to you, doesn't mean you should do it back.

We need to make China look good, which means we have to be understanding. We shouldn't fight racism with racism.

I told you I NEVER use A3 or huk gwai.

If you don't agree then it's fine, I respect your opinion. But my personal opinion is that we should be trying to make China look good, we need to save face. Calling people slumdogs makes us look like dirty racists.

I went to Island School in HK, there were a lot of Indians there and I had Indian friends too. Nothing wrong with being friendly towards others.
because you're weak that is why..If all Chinese were like you, China would be controlled by japan by now. You either stand up and fight your enemy or you allow people to walk all over you. So shut your hole, you don't represent Chinese in here.

because you're weak that is why..If all Chinese were like you, China would be controlled by japan by now. You either stand up and fight your enemy or you allow people to walk all over you. So shut your hole, you don't represent Chinese in here.

You should calm yourself down. You're turning some peaceful Indians into China-haters. Troll trolls like Raul Indian and JD_In. But remember that not all Indians hate Chinese, in fact 44% of them don't.

You should calm yourself down. You're turning some peaceful Indians into China-haters. Troll trolls like Raul Indian and JD_In. But remember that not all Indians hate Chinese, in fact 44% of them don't.

I suspect that percentage is somewhat lower on a defence forum.

Oh come on,let him continue(atleast until he is banned),its a while since we have had members like Communist,gery boy2,Achai eliminator,LoglivechinPak,conworldus etc.:D

Ah,Makes me feel so nostalgic:devil:

So now you are justifying racism against Indians in Hong Kong?:angry:

Yeah right! I 'm sure Indians really feel complemented and respected when ppl like you refer to us as "Ah Cha". :hitwall: .

Anyway,i hope you continue your racist posts and attitude against Indians,as in the long run it benefits us. :bunny:

Me being racist? are you kidding me, my quote to him was regarding a racist post against Chinese from an Indian that he ignored instead of accusing me saying A3 being not nice which not even anything related to racism. So i remind him not to being a hypocrite if he is from HK, yes, we address Indian as Ah chai=policmen, nothing racism at all, ask any Indians from HK, do they found it related to racism. So lay off your racism accusation for good.:no:
Yes, i am from HK, why it draw speculation from you? :undecided:

Can you add anything more,like its meaning,origins :china:

Hey Bombensturm. :cheers:

How did you know what A3 means? Even the "LOLLOL" member who is pretending to be Chinese didn't know what it meant.

Basically the phrase "a cha" (阿差) comes from the Colonial days when the British Government used Indians as Policemen in Hong Kong. From what I've heard from my relatives, apparently they didn't treat the HK Chinese very well so it acquired a negative connotation. It's not DIRECTLY racist in the way that "n****r" or "chink" is, but it's definitely not polite to say it to someone's face.

"A san" (阿三) means "the third" and basically assigns Indians to third-class status. So it's definitely negative.

"Gwailo" (or Yang gui zi in Mandarin) is what is commonly used against Westerners although it has lost almost all it's negative connotations. You will often hear Westerners in Hong Kong using this in a friendly joking way. Although there are some who don't like the term Gwailo so I think it's best not to say it if you can avoid it.

I'm sure you know most of this from the Wikipedia page you already found, but here you go anyway. :thinktank:

Last edited:
Me being racist? are you kidding me, my quote to him was regarding a racist post against Chinese from an Indian that he ignored instead of accusing me saying A3 being not nice which not even anything related to racism. So i remind him not to being a hypocrite if he is from HK, yes, we address Indian as Ah chai=policmen, nothing racism at all, ask any Indians from HK, do they found it related to racism. So lay off your racism accusation for good.:no:
Yes, i am from HK, why it draw speculation from you? :undecided:

Can I ask what school you went to in HK?

I went to Island School in Mid-levels, it's an International School.... and about half my class was non-Chinese, mostly Westerners and Indians and Pakistanis. Some black students as well.

In that situation, do you think it's OK to use phrases like "huk gwai" and "a cha" without thinking of the consequences? I don't even use "gwailo", because what is the point? Imagine if one of the teachers heard me saying these things towards non-Chinese, I would be in big trouble.

I went to the UK for University and it's even more diverse in terms of ethnicity. If you can't get along with other nationalities and ethnicities you won't survive overseas.

Yes I have seen other posters using the word "Chink" and I have even seen it on comments in the India Times website. Two wrongs don't make a right... what's the point of matching insults with insults.

Hey Bombensturm. :cheers:

"A san" (阿三) means "the third" and basically assigns Indians to third-class status. So it's definitely negative.

I'm sure you know most of this from the Wikipedia page you already found, but here you go anyway. :thinktank:

A san does not assign the Indian to a 3rd class citizen. It happened during the 50s when India want to lead a non-aligned movement opposed to first world lead by US and 2nd world lead by CCCP. India self proclaimed to be the leader of the 3rd world and Mao made fun of that statement by calling Indians A-San and this statement stucked.

A san does not assign the Indian to a 3rd class citizen.

No not a "citizen", I said "third-class status". To be in the "third world" is not a positive thing.

In Hong Kong I would never ever say "a cha" (阿差) to an Indian person's face, because it's rude. In fact, I would probably have been in big trouble in my International school if I used such terms, or other such racial insults like "huk gwai". Like I said, over half my class were non-Chinese, mostly Westerners and South Asians, and even a few Black students.

(If you speak Mandarin, "huk gwai" is equivalent to "hei gui").

Back
Top Bottom