What's new

CHINA- emerging Superpower

Can I ask what school you went to in HK?

I went to Island School in Mid-levels, it's an International School.... and about half my class was non-Chinese, mostly Westerners and Indians and Pakistanis. Some black students as well.

In that situation, do you think it's OK to use phrases like "huk gwai" and "a cha" without thinking of the consequences? I don't even use "gwailo", because what is the point? Imagine if one of the teachers heard me saying these things towards non-Chinese, I would be in big trouble.

I went to the UK for University and it's even more diverse in terms of ethnicity. If you can't get along with other nationalities and ethnicities you won't survive overseas.

Yes I have seen other posters using the word "Chink" and I have even seen it on comments in the India Times website. Two wrongs don't make a right, what's the point of matching insults with insults.

Rosaryhill school in stubbs rd till primary 5, went aboard with my family to USA, settle down there, still visit my grand parents whom still live in HK every year.
I think the problem with our difference is that you confused with internet Indians with the common everyday Indians in real life, i have no hate and even friends with a few since dated back in HK, but some of the internet Indians are certainly something special.
Now please, we need to agree to disagree inorder to avoid further unpleasant arguments, botton line= its not my style to attack unless being provoked.
PS, i know quite a few friends from Island school, no offence, not too fond of the reputation of that school, remind me of colonial style privilege westeners.:azn:

Rosaryhill school in stubbs rd till primary 5, went aboard with my family to USA, settle down there, still visit my grand parents whom still live in HK every year.
I think the problem with our difference is that you confused with internet Indians with the common everyday Indians in real life, i have no hate and even friends with a few since dated back in HK, but some of the internet Indians are certainly something special.
Now please, we need to agree to disagree inorder to avoid further unpleasant arguments, botton line= its not my style to attack unless being provoked.
PS, i know quite a few friends from Island school, no offence, not too fond of the reputation of that school, remind me of colonial style privilege westeners.:azn:

OK fair enough we'll leave it there. :cheers:

LOL there is a stereotype that Island School students are rich (or "privileged", or snobbish even)... but that stereotype also applies to people who live in the Mid-levels and the Peak.

By the way,what were the Chinese kids calling him?

Yeah I've seen that programme before.

At 1:30 they used the insult "a cha"... and then said "Cha siu baau" (叉燒包)... which is the name of a steamed bun with cha siu in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cha_siu_bao

The "cha siu baau" part is not actually an insult, it was just used because the "cha" part sounds similar to the one in "a cha" (but it's a different Chinese character).

Last edited:
Hey Bombensturm. :cheers:

How did you know what A3 means? Even the "LOLLOL" member who is pretending to be Chinese didn't know what it meant.

Basically the phrase "a cha" (阿差) comes from the Colonial days when the British Government used Indians as Policemen in Hong Kong. From what I've heard from my relatives, apparently they didn't treat the HK Chinese very well so it acquired a negative connotation. It's not DIRECTLY racist in the way that "n****r" or "chink" is, but it's definitely not polite to say it to someone's face.

"A san" (阿三) means "the third" and basically assigns Indians to third-class status. So it's definitely negative.

"Gwailo" (or Yang gui zi in Mandarin) is what is commonly used against Westerners although it has lost almost all it's negative connotations. You will often hear Westerners in Hong Kong using this in a friendly joking way. Although there are some who don't like the term Gwailo so I think it's best not to say it if you can avoid it.

I'm sure you know most of this from the Wikipedia page you already found, but here you go anyway. :thinktank:
I'm not from Hong Kong you retard..I not Cantonese or speak Cantonese you borderline dimwit. I'm a northern Chinese. So you used a stupid question that is from Hong Kong with relation to Cantonese to judge who is Chinese? You are pretty stupid. So I stand corrected, you don't represent Chinese in here..You're weak and pretty pathetic. Plus what made an incoherent retard like you to think that hong kong and Cantonese represent Chinese?

I'm not from Hong Kong you retard..I not Cantonese or speak Cantonese you borderline dimwit. I'm a northern Chinese. So you used a stupid question that is from Hong Kong with relation to Cantonese to judge who is Chinese? You are pretty stupid. So I stand corrected you don't represent Chinese in here..You're weak and pretty pathetic. Plus what made a incoherent retard like you to think that hong kong and Cantonese represent Chinese?

LOL not a single person in here thinks you are Chinese.

"A San" (阿三)... IS MANDARIN... LOL. :rofl: (Notice the second character which means "3")

Cantonese use a different phrase which is "Ah Cha" (阿差).

Anyway you're clearly here to wind people up with your constant racist abuse, using the term "slumdog" and accusing Indians of having low IQ.

You're pretending to be a Chinese person, and you're trying to make all of us lose face. But it's not working, too bad....

Also if you are Chinese, tell me what Ah3 means, send me a private message and I'll see.

how ah3 is mandarin you retard...

That was your question..don't lie dummy.

Even tho you blind and stupid, brotherhood at beginning already told you i'm Chinese. You choose to be stupid.

for an Cantonese like yourself. You actually think you represent Chinese.. You are so delusional.

To you a northern like me is not Chinese but an Cantonese like yourself is.. LOLOLOL

how ah3 is mandarin you retard...

That was your question..don't lie dummy.

Even tho you blind and stupid, brotherhood at beginning already told you i'm Chinese. You choose to be stupid.

"San" means three (3/三) in Mandarin! LOL! :rofl:

In Cantonese it is "Saam". Both are in first tone.

Very poor effort.... I'm going to ignore you now since clearly you have no idea about anything you are talking about. Later. :azn:

Also if you are Chinese, tell me what Ah3 means, send me a private message and I'll see.

That was your question..Your test on me..You thought i was Cantonese and from hong kong. I didn't know what you were talking about. But in china there is a highway ah3. So i answered the question, and you said it was wrong and i'm not Chinese according to you..

now I told a dumb idiot like you I"m a northern Chinese and i don't understand your question because i found out your question was in relation to hong kong. Now you saying your question is mandarin, and now I'm asking you how is ah3 mandarin? You can't answer that.

You saying no one believe i was Chinese but brotherhood told you I was. That was a big owned!

now you saying you going ignore me. :rofl::rofl:

I proven that you're weak and pathetic, and that's why you are ignoring me. you don't represent Chinese, you fool..

I will be going on a business trip to Asia..Care to join me and tell me in my face that i'm not Chinese?

Last edited:
[quote

By the way what does "Ah Sam" mean in Mandarin?[/quote]

My guess is that it refer to Indian name "Samy", I am from Malaysia, the president of the largest Malaysian Indian political party MIC is Samyvellu, so I think it must have some relevent to some one with name of Samy long time ago in Hong Kong.

"Ah" is a prefit normally used in Chinese, example if a Chines e name Wong XX, we will call him "Ah Wong".

Same for Tom Cruise, We will just call him Ah TOM, or call President HU Jin Tao as Ah HU.

Again, I do not think the origin of Ah Sam as racist. My friend call me Ah Lu all the while.

[quote

By the way what does "Ah Sam" mean in Mandarin?

My guess is that it refer to Indian name "Samy", I am from Malaysia, the president of the largest Malaysian Indian political party MIC is Samyvellu, so I think it must have some relevent to some one with name of Samy long time ago in Hong Kong.

"Ah" is a prefit normally used in Chinese, example if a Chines e name Wong XX, we will call him "Ah Wong".

Same for Tom Cruise, We will just call him Ah TOM, or call President HU Jin Tao as Ah HU.

Again, I do not think the origin of Ah Sam as racist. My friend call me Ah Lu all the while.[/QUOTE]

very very funny:lol:

Again, I do not think the origin of Ah Sam as racist. My friend call me Ah Lu all the while.

very very funny:lol:[/QUOTE]

no, Ah Sam, or a san in mandarin means number three since many indians haven give us chinese an impression that they believe the USA is number one, Russian is number two, and they are number three in national strength.
However, all chinese thinks differently and we use it as a symbol for indian over-confidence and nickname for their inability to finish projects on time.

In my opinion it is some what racist at the same level of calling someone jap or chink, but not nearly as bad as calling a black person nigger or a german nazi.

Last edited:

Rosaryhill ain't that good too if you critised the Island school. Other than Lesilie Cheung was their student it dropped very rapidly in their
school grading in recent years.By the way, I am from St.Joseph.

A san does not assign the Indian to a 3rd class citizen. It happened during the 50s when India want to lead a non-aligned movement opposed to first world lead by US and 2nd world lead by CCCP. India self proclaimed to be the leader of the 3rd world and Mao made fun of that statement by calling Indians A-San and this statement stucked.

You are wrong, the name of A3 appeared long before the 50s.

Rosaryhill ain't that good too if you critised the Island school. Other than Lesilie Cheung was their student it dropped very rapidly in their
school grading in recent years.By the way, I am from St.Joseph.

Pal, i never said Rosaryhill school is that good, he ask me which school i was from in HK after telling me he attended island international school, not because i thought island school was bad, cos its an icon of british colonial type school for westerners only in old days, non westerners not even allowed to enroll.
Nice to meet you, I had no idea which is a good school in HK anymore since i left school in HK for too long.:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom