What's new

China Economy Forum

Qualcomm announces chipset joint venture in China

telecomlead.com | Posted: 18 Jan 2016, 10:49

Qualcomm will hold 45 percent stake, while Guizhou provincial government will have the balance 55 percent stake in Guizhou Huaxintong Semi-Conductor Technology which will have a registered capital of $280 million.

As part of the deal, Qualcomm will license its server chip technology and provide R&D processes to the joint venture to support the commercial viability.

The joint venture will focus on the development and sale of advanced server chipset technology in China, the second largest country in the world for server technology sales.

The joint venture is part of the strategy of Qualcomm to make an investment in China. Earlier, Qualcomm faced more than $1 billion penalty due to its business practices.

Derek Aberle, president of Qualcomm, said: “We are not only providing investment capital, but we also are licensing our server technology to the joint venture and assisting with R&D process and implementation expertise; this underscores our commitment as a strategic partner in China.”

Qualcomm said Guian New Area in Guizhou is an important base for the development of the big data industry and will include a green datacenter cluster of more than 2.5 million servers for companies including China Telecom, China Unicom and China Mobile.

Qualcomm announces chipset joint venture in China - OFweek News

China, Algeria to build mega sea port
Source: Xinhua | 2016-01-18 05:34:27 | Editor: huaxia

135018002_14530792478961n.jpg

ALGIERS, Jan. 17, 2016 (Xinhua) -- Wen Jingfei(L), China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) representative, Zhou Sheng(C), the China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC) and Director in Charge of Ports at the Algerian Transport Ministry, Mohamed Boussehaki(R) shake hands after signing the deal in Algiers, Algeria, on Jan. 17, 2016. Algeria and China on Sunday inked a 3.3-billion-U.S-dollar deal to build and exploit the new center transshipment port of Cherchell. (Xinhua)

ALGIERS, Jan. 17 (Xinhua) -- Algeria and China on Sunday inked a 3.3-billion-U.S-dollar deal to build and exploit the new center transshipment port of Cherchell.

The agreement was signed between Algeria's Transport Ministry, China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) and China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC) in Algeria.

Under the deal, the two sides will create a consortium company to build the port, some 60 km west of the capital Algiers.

Creation of the company is expected to finalize later in March 2016, with the approval from the Council of State Shareholdings and the signature of its shareholding pact.

The port will have 23 docks capable of processing 6.5 million 20-foot containers and 26 million tons of goods per year.

According to forecasts by Algeria's Transport Ministry, port traffic in the country's central region is expected to hit 35 million tons or two million 20-foot containers per year by 2050.

The project is planned to complete within seven years, and gradually put into service within four years with China's Shanghai Ports Group ensuring its management.

Bringing in Shanghai Port Group "would help driving international shipment traffic coming from the Southeast Asia and other continents to pass from this Center Port, under transshipment process to continue sea transport to elsewhere, or use the Algerian highway and railway networks to carry shipments to Africa," said Algerian Transport Minister Boudjemaa Talai.

Wen Jingfei, CHEC representative at the signing ceremony, told Xinhua that this project is important not only for Algeria but for the whole Mediterranean region and Africa.

He said the Algerian government has wanted to build this mega Central Harbor for many years, and it has positioned it as a transit port at the Mediterranean area that will provide service to North Africa and Europe.

Algeria's landlocked neighbors such as Mali also need a port like this, he added.

Zhou Sheng, the CSCEC representative said the agreement will be a milestone in the history of Algeria, a country that is facing a rare difficult period due to the slumping.

"The Algerian government selected Chinese companies to build this project regarding the traditional friendship between the two nations and strong bilateral relationship in political, economic and cultural fields," he said.

Chinese automakers to gain larger market share globally: KPMG survey
Source: Xinhua 2016-01-19 01:02:52

Beijing, Jan. 18 (Xinhua) -- Chinese automakers will continue to gain a larger global market share in the next five years thanks to strong demand, according to KPMG's annual automotive survey.

According to the 17th Global Automotive Executive Survey, which was released Monday, 20 Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), including five from China, are expected to gain larger global market shares in the next five years. Meanwhile, one sixth of global executives say they will increase investment in terms of production in China, followed by Germany and India.

The survey features insights from 800 auto executives across 38 countries, including 100 from China. It also surveyed over 2,100 customers globally.

Huu-Hoi Tran, Partner and head of Automotive China (KPMG China), said car ownership was still a priority and status symbol for Chinese consumers.

"The future is wide open, but Chinese OEMs may focus on the increasing demand for electric cars, especially in large cities. They are becoming more aware of[...] developing their business models to benefit consumers," Tran said.

The survey also identified smart systems as a top trend that will hold through to 2025 in China and globally.

Over 90 percent of executives in China expect changes brought by connectivity and digitalization on auto companies across all segments,higher than the global findings (between 74 and 84 percent).

China's car industry is young and more flexible compared to the more mature markets. Less bound in "old" industrial structures, Chinese executives have more faith in the power of change and are, therefore, much more likely to see impact on all segments, Tran said.

China's economy expanded despite rail freight volume drop.

China's rail freight volume dropped by 10.5% in 2015. Does this mean that China's economy fell in 2015? No. I will explain.

Firstly, the dollar-value of the freight volume cargo may have increased. For example, if China is shipping more smartphones and computer tablets then the dollar-value would have increased. This is the quality of the freight volume argument.

Secondly, you need to know the most likely reason of the freight volume drop. This is the quantity of the freight volume argument.

In China, massive amounts of coal are shipped by rail to coal-fired plants near east coast cities. However, there is a technological revolution underway in China.

1. China completed nine massive dams in 2015. This displaced the need to transport coal. The electricity provided by the dams eliminated a huge amount of coal that would have been needed to be shipped by rail.

2. China completed six nuclear reactors in 2015. Once again, this displaced coal shipped to east coast power plants.

3. China is building many ultra-high voltage (UHV) transmission lines. This allows China to transmit electricity from wind turbines and solar farms over long distances. Also, UHV allows China to build ultra-supercritical coal-fired plants near coal deposits and transmit the electricity over vast distances to Chinese cities. This eliminates the need to ship coal via railway.

The drop in China's freight volume has to do with China's reduced need to ship coal to produce electricity. I have only mentioned the new dams, nuclear power plants, and UHV lines that eliminated the need for coal shipped via railway.

Another important factor is China's conservation of electricity. The phase-out of inefficient incandescent light bulbs over a five-year period, increased building insulation mandated by law, increased CAFE standards for cars, replacement of 25% efficient coal plants with 45% efficient coal-fired generators, etc. are also putting huge downward pressure on the demand for coal, which is shipped via railway.

In conclusion, the drop in China's rail freight volume is merely a reflection of the drop in the need for coal transported by rail. It does not mean that China's rail shipment of manufactured goods is dropping.

For perspective, China's Three Gorges Dam replaced the burning of 50 million tons of coal annually (see last citation below).
----------

Report: China rail freight volumes drop 10.5% in 2015 | News | American Shipper

FVr72zt.jpg

----------

List of dams and reservoirs in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dxh9Zpx.jpg

----------

China Nuclear Power | Chinese Nuclear Energy

ebVTFie.jpg

----------

China State Grid mulls over 13 ultra-high voltage transmission lines in 2015 | Asian Power

YHR2UaT.jpg

----------

The Three Gorges Project: A Brief Introduction

XoWBHf6.jpg

Last edited:
Greece to sell 67% of Piraeus port to China's COSCO for 368.5 mn euros
20 January 2016

Greece's privatisation agency announced Wednesday it had accepted a 368.5 million-euro ($402.4 million) bid for 67 percent of the Port of Piraeus by China's COSCO.

"HRADF's Board of Directors evaluated the improved economic offer, taking into account the two existing valuations for (the Piraeus Port Authority) and decided to declare COSCO (Hong Kong) Group Limited as the preferred investor," the privatisation agency said in a statement.

It called the deal, which also includes 350 million euros of investment into the port plus revenues of 410 million to go to the state, "a very important milestone" in the Greek government's privatisation programme.

The China Ocean Shipping Company was the only bidder for the majority stake in the port, Greece's largest and one of the busiest in Europe.

Denmark's APM and International Container Terminals Services of the Philippines had also expressed interest in Piraeus, but did not submit bids.

COSCO through a subsidiary manages the two main container terminals at the port under a 35-year concession signed in 2008, with the objective of making Piraeus a key port of entry for Asian goods into Europe.

The privatisation of the port has been postponed several times in recent years, with the arrival of the leftist government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras putting it on ice last year.

But as part of an 86-billion ($94 billion) bailout last year needed to keep Greece in the eurozone, Tsipras agreed to move forward on the privatisation of a number of companies.

Workers at the port have recently gone on strike and demonstrated against the sale at what they feared would be too cheap a price.

The Greek government plans to keep a stake in the port, which is listed on the Athens stock exchange.

Flash - Greece to sell 67% of Piraeus port to China's COSCO for 368.5 mn euros - France 24

Don’t worry about China says Alibaba's Jack Ma

Markets shouldn’t be concerned about the cooling in the world’s second-biggest economy, as China is transforming to a consumer driven economy, Alibaba founder Jack Ma told RT.
“The consumption is going up, the services are going up, the new high-tech business is going up, but the traditional business is going down,” said Ma at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Ma also said China is trying to transition from an export to an import driven economy.

“It’s a healthy thing. The two or three next years may be challenging. But generally speaking, if the job market is there, if the consumption of China continues to grow…I think; now we have 300 million middle class people. In 10-15 years this figure will grow to 500 million. It’s an opportunity not only for China, but for the world. Don’t worry,” he added.

Ma said his company is interested in buying Russian goods and yuan-ruble bilateral trade. Russia-China trade has “huge potential“, according to Ma, but there is a lot to improve in infrastructure, roads, logistics and pay.

The Alibaba CEO said he isn’t concerned about the situation in US markets and the economy.

“I don’t worry about any markets, about big mad things. We are worried only about ourselves, how we can do better. Good time has a good way, bad time also has a good way,” he said.

Don’t worry about China says Alibaba's Jack Ma — RT Business

Asia's largest manganese ore discovered in SW China
Source: Xinhua 2016-01-22 16:30:31

GUIYANG, Jan. 22 (Xinhua) -- A reserve of more than 192 million tonnes of manganese ore, believed to the the largest in Asia, has been discovered in southwest China's Guizhou Province, it was announced Friday.

Pujue manganese ore was discovered in mountains between Songtao Miao Autonomous County and Jiangkou County by the No. 103 Geology Group under the Guizhou Provincial Geology and Mineral Exploration Bureau, according to Songtao government.

The mine will help poverty alleviation in Guizhou, one of China's least developed provinces, local officials said.

Manganese is used to make metal alloys, particularly stainless steel.

Into the Last Eight !
Can Zhang Shuai (women's single) and Zheng /Xu (women's double) create as much commercial value as the other Chinese sports celebrities?
http://www.china.org.cn/top10/2015-05/12/content_35547596.htm

On Dream Run, China’s Zhang Shuai Reaches Aussie Open’s Final Eight
BN-MG411_zhang1_G_20160125092019.jpg

Zhang Shuai of China celebrates after defeating Madison Keys of the United States in their fourth round match at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, early Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2016.

China’s Zhang Shuai extended a dream run at the Australian Open on Monday, defeating 15th-seeded American Madison Keys in a three-set thriller to seal a berth for the Grand Slam’s final eight.
Zhang overcame early nerves and trouble with Keys’ powerful serve to close the match out 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, as Keys wilted under the strain of an apparent injury in her left thigh.

With her win, Ms. Zhang becomes the fourth Chinese national in history to have made it to the quarterfinals of the singles main draw at a Grand Slam, the sport’s top tier of competition. The other three – Li Na, Zheng Jie and Peng Shuai – are also Chinese women. Only Li has won Grand Slams, holding titles for the 2014 Australian Open and 2011 French Open.

But it was the improbability of Zhang’s quest that has lifted her campaign to a story thathas captivated the tournament’s locker rooms and China’s many tennis fans.

Zhang, who turned 27 years old last week, arrived at the Melbourne Slam having tried and failed 14 times in the past to win a single match at Grand Slam events. She had been prepared for this to be her last such bid, and brought her parents along – also for the first time – because she wanted them to experience a Grand Slam that they might otherwise never have had the chance to enjoy.

Ranked 133rd on the women’s tour, Zhang made headlines when she beat World No. 2 Simona Halep in the first round.

The long shot was high on her raucous supporters’ minds at the Rod Laver Arena.

“Some people in the crowd keep saying: ‘Quarterfinal! Quarterfinal’,” she said in a courtside interview after the match. “That make me very nervous.”

The interviewer laughed, nudged Zhang and said, “Final.”

After downing Halep, Zhang went on to defeat Frenchwoman Alizé Cornet, a veteran on the circuit, and American Varvara Lepchenko, before facing Keys.

Keys is a rising star in elite tennis. The big-hitting 20-year-old is the third-highest ranked American player in the sport. Keys was visibly in tears as she struggled to maintain her form through most of the second and third sets, at times limping.

The match was accorded unusual fanfare in China, broadcast live on state television — for Grand Slam tennis, such treatment is usually reserved from at most the quarterfinals onward. The country’s Weibo microblogging platform, its equivalent to Twitter, lit up with messages from supporters after her victory.

“Keep flying, young lady!” one blogger wrote. “All the way to the sky.”

Zhang faces Briton Johanna Konta for the quarterfinal.

–Chuin-Wei Yap. Follow him on Twitter @YapCW.
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...zhang-shuai-reaches-aussie-opens-final-eight/

g_zhang_250116_28.jpg

Zhang Shuai def Madison Keys 3-6 6-3 6-3

25 January, 2016

Q. How does that feel?
ZHANG SHUAI: Tired.

Q. A lot of work tonight?
ZHANG SHUAI: Yeah.

Q. So what's your general reaction to making the quarterfinals?
ZHANG SHUAI: Very exciting. Very happy, yeah. I don't want stop. I want more step.

Q. Next round you're going to play Konta, who is another new face in the quarterfinals. How do you feel about playing against that kind of a player and what is your expectation of that match?
ZHANG SHUAI: I think I don't have time to thinking about the next day match because I'm so tired right now. And also we play few times, and sometimes practice together. We know each other very much.

So I hope we play good match, yeah.

Q. How emotional was the match today for you, and how difficult is it to play someone who is clearly very hurt?
ZHANG SHUAI: It's so tough to play against someone injury because, yeah, when I'm saw her like feel more pain. You know, so tough. Maybe two point you feeling like cannot play, and then next three balls, pong, pong, pong, make two ace, one winner. So, so tough. You don't know what's happen.

And also last year this happen many times. I'm almost win the match. I lost. I lost the concentrate. But this time I think I try to concentrate. So I'm happy I win the match, yeah.

Q. Two days ago you said you considered quitting tennis. What was your idea about your future? What was your plan if you had to quit tennis?
ZHANG SHUAI: Right now, after this tournament, I need a long break, yeah, because I already play seven match. Before today I'm thinking, Okay, today is the final. When somebody already win six match on Grand Slam, already final, right? So try to like feeling like a final, night match. Feeling like the last match, yeah.

So after this tournament, I already said this year I'm less the tournament. I don't want to play too much. I want to some more time for my life. I can do something for holiday, for rest, for stay with my parents. Also sometime I need working hard, yeah. I need practice.

Q. You're going to play your eighth match now. Does this all feel like too much too soon or is it great to have a lot of Grand Slam matches on big stage coming all at once for you after so long?
ZHANG SHUAI: Yeah, I think I waiting one match win long time, more than eight year. So this time feeling like maybe God will bless me. Like I feeling one time give me many win, so I'm so lucky. I like this, yeah. If I can wait for long time, eight year, I can one time win a lot match in the Grand Slam, I'm happy, yeah. I want this.

Q. You said you were considering retirement before this tournament. Two months ago you won a 100,000 tournament in Tokyo, and you beat top 100 players. Do you think that victory gave you confidence or belief?
ZHANG SHUAI: Yeah, for sure give me a lot confidence. Are you from Japan?

Q. Yeah, that's why I ask.
ZHANG SHUAI: I already feel when you talking.

You know, very tough play against Japan player in Japan. Of course, play against the local player always very tough, but I think I did a great job two months ago. If not that win, I think I don't have today.

I'm very happy I can win the 100,000 in Tokyo because also my first time win 100,000. Right now I win ITF tournament from 10,000 I think, yeah, to 25, 50, 75, 100. So, yeah, the Grand Slam is my goal, the next goal, yeah. So I want one more step up.

Q. Can you tell us about being Sam Stosur's ball girl?
ZHANG SHUAI: She play against left hand first round. My coach is left hand. We talk, Okay, maybe, yeah, Sam need some left hand for warmup. Also my coach always warm up for me, also always practice with me. He play very good. He also was very good player in China.

But really bad luck for Sam lost first round. I'm so happy she come today, support me. Yeah, I think she play in Australia little bit nervous. I want try to -- yeah, because my coach always pick up ball for me, I want to also try one time pick up ball for my coach.

Yeah, so...

Q. With each round that you win, do you feel more or less pressure?
ZHANG SHUAI: Less pressure because I think the big pressure is first round. But I'm so lucky play against the second seed, No. 2. Also no more pressure. If play top player still have pressure. I think I can play on court maybe loss 6-Love, 6-Love, yeah.

Yeah, so for me no more pressure.

Q. Is that very different from the previous 14 slams that you played? Did you come into this tournament feeling less pressure than any of the other Grand Slams that you played?
ZHANG SHUAI: No, only feeling because I lost so many, too much. Already no feeling. I don't want think when I lose. I think that doesn't matter because already so many time. Who care? Already nobody care, yeah.

I just try my best.

Q. Did you think about what you would do if you retired tennis?
ZHANG SHUAI: I really want to have one coffee bar. So welcome to everybody. Come when I'm retire.

Q. Where? What city?
ZHANG SHUAI: I don't know yet.

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2016-01-25/zhang_shuai_250116.html

In Women's doubles, Zheng Saisai and Xu Yifan also beat their opponents into the quarter finals

澳网:郑赛赛/徐一璠晋级16强

2016年01月23日 22:33:15 | 责任编辑: 许梦楠 | 来源: 新华社
128660828_11n.jpg

1月23日,中国女双组合徐一璠(右)/郑赛赛在庆祝胜利。当日,在澳大利亚墨尔本举行的澳大利亚网球公开赛女双第二轮的比赛中,中国女双组合郑赛赛/徐一璠以2比0战胜跨国组合俄罗斯选手卡萨特金娜/黑山选手科维尼奇,晋级十六强。新华社发(白雪摄)

128660827_11n.jpg

1月23日,中国女双组合徐一璠(前)/郑赛赛在比赛中。当日,在澳大利亚墨尔本举行的澳大利亚网球公开赛女

Go Zhang and Zheng/Xu! 张帅 / 徐一璠+郑赛赛加油!
Go China! 中国加油!

Last edited:
Interview: China to contribute more to world's innovation: Bill Gates

DAVOS, Switzerland, Jan. 23 (Xinhua) -- With a strong ambition to promote science and research, China is going to contribute more and more to the world's innovation, Microsoft's founder Bill Gates has said.

In an interview on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum (WEF) Annual Meeting 2016, Gates said China would probably become a huge participant in the Fourth Industrial Revolution, which is already under way and bringing a fast and disruptive change for most industries.

Talking about the new revolution, Gates believed the digital revolution, something he spent most of his life working on, was a huge factor.

The Fourth Industrial Revolution refers to the ongoing transformation of our society and economy, driven by advances in artificial intelligence, robotics, autonomous vehicles, 3D printing, nanotechnology and other areas of science.

A key enabler of much of these new technologies is the Internet where Microsoft and Gates has been a leading contributor to the progress.

"An industrial revolution is coming to increase productivity very dramatically," Gates said, "It creates opportunities, and it creates challenges."

New technology changes would free some labor, so that people can do more in culture sector, according to Gates.

He said China had built some advantages in science and technology through its educational system, and the country had a strong will to promote its contribution in different sciences sectors.

"China obviously has a lot of people and a lot of smart people," Gates said, "Not only a lot of people college-educated, but also a lot of engineers with the quality of engineering skills. "

"With the recognition that people have done something that they can be rewarded for that, many experts have been leaded to have new companies, in IT sector, biology, robots and other those things."

"China is going to carry its weight," he said.

In recent years, the former internet elite has been dedicating to driving innovation in global health and development. As the Co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Gates decided to join force with China's Tsinghua University to establish the Global Health Drug Discovery Institute(GHDDI) in Beijing during his Davos visit.

"China has made incredible progress in reducing poverty and shares the foundation's commitment to harnessing advances in science and technology to address the critical health challenges affecting the world's poorest people," Gates said.

"We are excited about GHDDI's potential to drive innovation in global health research and development, and look forward to partnering with Tsinghua University on our continued work to address the world's most pressing global health challenges."

In an article released during WEF, Gates pledged his foundation would invest more in innovation in the coming years. He told Xinhua that the investment that went to China's innovation was expected to increase gradually.

Asked whether he worried about China's economic slowdown, which may hinder innovation progress, Gates said he was quite optimistic about China's economic outlook.

"I have a lot of confidence in China, partly because they take a long-term view, and partly because they look what other countries are doing," he said.

Faced with a challenge of turning the economy into new directions, Gates said China had great talent to achieve its goal.

"Most countries would envy a 6.9 percent growth, I think China has a bright future,"he said, adding "China is going to be contributing more and more to the world's innovation."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-01/24/c_135039008.htm

China-made aeroplanes launch operations in Cameroon

89122b.jpg

YAOUNDE, Jan. 25 (Xinhua) -- The two MA60 planes acquired by the Cameroonian government from China for the national carrier, Cameroon Airlines Corporation (Camair-Co), began operations over the weekend between the capital Yaounde and Douala, the commercial capital.

The inaugural flight had on board Cameroon`s Transport Minister Edgard Alain Mebe Ngo`o, China`s ambassador to Cameroon Wei Wenhua, the vice-president of Avic International which manufactured the planes Xu Bo and many other Cameroonian political and business leaders.

"I am a witness of the reliability of these planes," the transport minister said in his speech at a ceremony organized at Yaounde-Nsimalen international airport, at the end of the inaugural flights of the two aircrafts as the country awaits the official start of commercial flights in March.

The minister recalled that since 2012, the Cameroonian defense and security forces have made successful missions using the MA60 planes.

Avic International`s vice president said since launching commercial flights in 2005, the company has grown by leaps and bounds.

"To date, there are six domestic operators who fly 44 MA60 planes. At the same time, there are 21 foreign operators who fly 57 planes," he said.

Some of its foreign customers include Air Zimbabwe which was the first African airline to purchase the MA60 plane in 2004.

According to Air Zimbabwe director general Edmund Makoma who was invited to the ceremony by the Cameroonian authorities, his company has three MA60 planes. He said the company offers the African continent more affordable air transport services.

According to Xu, the MA60 plane does not require a high standard of airport conditions to operate.

"It can land practically on any runway at a secondary airport in any of Cameroon`s regional capitals," Xu said, adding that this is why the planes can serve any of Cameroon`s domestic flights.

Camair-Co will also use the MA60 planes to fly to regional capitals such as Libreville in Gabon, Malabo in Equatorial Guinea, Bangui in Central African Republic and N`Djamena in Chad.

China`s ambassador in Cameroon said the cooperation with Yaounde authorities illustrates his country`s willingness to support the construction of a regional aviation network between African countries, through supply of planes, training of personnel, technological transfer and improvement of infrastructure.

According to an introduction by the manufacturer on its website, the MA60 passenger aircraft can accomodate up to 56 passengers. More than 100 MA60 planes have been delivered since 2005 in 16 countries, mainly in Asia and Africa.

http://www.camerounlink.net/en/?Ses...UR7XSF&cl1=&cl2=&bnid=2&nid=89122&cat=0&kat=0

Lufthansa signs deal with DJI in fledgling drone push

Markets | Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:44am EST

BERLIN Jan 26

Lufthansa has signed a deal with drone manufacturer DJI as part of fledging plans to exploit the growing market for commercial drones for tasks such as inspecting aircraft surfaces and monitoring wind farms.

The German airline said it plans to offer those interested in using drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), in this way a "one-stop UAV-shop" from aircraft operation to data analysis, insurance and even pilot training.

Lufthansa Aerial Services (LAS), part of the company's consulting division, said on Tuesday it will use China-based DJI's aerial platforms and develop applications and technology for potential customers.

For example, it sees potential in operating drones equipped with thermal-imaging systems that can be used to inspect infrastructure such as solar farms, railroad lines, crops and construction sites.

Lufthansa said it had already carried out a pilot project with a wind turbine manufacturer to inspect wind turbine blades using drones, while sister company Lufthansa Technik has used drones to inspect the outer surfaces of aircraft for defects.

EasyJet has also used drones to inspect its aircraft, while LAS has also teamed up with airport operator Fraport and German air traffic controllers to test the possibility of using drones to check runways.

Lufthansa runs maintenance and catering divisions alongside its traditional airline business. It said last year it wanted to use its experience in pilot training, flying and maintenance to enter the field of commercial drones.

It will make a decision on whether to fully commit to drone services by the end of the year, a spokeswoman said on Tuesday. (Reporting by Victoria Bryan and Peter Maushagen; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

http://www.reuters.com/article/lufthansa-drones-idUSL8N15A3R9

IMF's quota reforms come into effect
Source: Xinhua 2016-01-28 10:39:54

WASHINGTON, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- The International Monetary Fund's 2010 quota and governance reforms have become effective and will give emerging markets more saying at the international lender, the IMF said Wednesday.

"The conditions for implementing the International Monetary Fund's 14th General Quota Review, which delivers historic and far-reaching changes to the governance and permanent capital of the Fund, have now been satisfied," the IMF said in a statement.

The reforms, which were approved by the IMF's Board of Governors in 2010, will double the IMF's quota resources and reallocate the quota and voting shares away from advanced economies, primarily in Europe, to growing emerging market economies.

The reforms are the biggest change in the IMF's governance since it was established and are a recognition of the increasing role that emerging markets play in the global economy.

China will have the third largest IMF quota and voting share after the United States and Japan, and India, Brazil and Russia will be also among the top 10 members of the IMF.

The IMF said the actual quota increases under the 14th review "are expected to come into effect in the coming weeks" after the IMF Board Reform Amendment entered into force on Tuesday, which was part of the broader package of quota and governance reforms.

"The entry into force of these reforms will reinforce the credibility, effectiveness, and legitimacy of the IMF," the IMF said.

"The reforms represent a major step toward better reflecting in the institution' s governance structure the increasing role of dynamic emerging market and developing countries," it added.

Christine Lagarde, managing director of the IMF, on Wednesday commended members for ratifying these truly historic reforms.

"These reforms will ensure that the Fund is able to better meet and represent the needs of its members in a rapidly changing global environment," Lagarde said in a statement.

"Today marks a crucial step forward and it is not the end of change as our efforts to strengthen the IMF's governance will continue," said Lagarde.

Following the implementation of the 14th General Review of Quotas, focus will now turn to the 15th review and securing a necessary broad consensus, including on a new quota formula, the IMF said.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom