What's new

China Economy Forum

Lenovo is ok but its not in the same breath as Apple, its a budget brand, the Yoga tablet they do is pretty good for the price but most of their products are crap, cheap laptops for mass produced markets although they do have a few decent ones. Its like comparing a Porsche with a Toyota, they can both do the job but one does it a bit nicer. I still hate apple though and would rather buy a Lenovo than give them money.

I will admit that Lenovo is a reliable brand,especially their laptops/p.c I bought a Lenovo Yoga laptop a week ago, a few of my friends recommended it to me, so far I'm quite satisfy it, hope it lasts.lol.

However , putting Lenovo and apple in the same sentence with all due respect is a joke. Apple is simply in another league altogether. In terms of world reach/importance/value/influence the way people live you name it, the only company in the world I can think of who comes close to Apple is Google. Apple is beast. Apple world is bigger than many big countries itself.lol

in my company it is 50 50 mac vs windows. within windows it is 1/3 dell 1/3 hp 1/3 others, inc lenovo. windows pc's just compete on price deals

I've yet to see a Lenovo desktop (mostly HP's). Although my current keyboard at work is a Lenovo.

Last edited:
I've yet to see a Lenovo desktop (mostly HP's). Although my current keyboard at work is a Lenovo.

you're right, I don't think I've seen lenovo desktops in my company or for that matter in any of our clients, though I've seen a few laptops.

Frankly speaking, I cannot see ANY hardware company selling laptops, desktops, or even smartphones and tablets having any success other than momentary excitement if and when they come up with some really great fun design. Apple is so way ahead but even they have to constantly come up with new features and designs.

But Apple can afford to do the R&D given their margins where as dell, hp, lenovo et all simply compete for the commodity business

Business users embrace hybrids in post-PC age: Lenovo

September 15, 2015 - 12:00AM

Convertible "hybrid" computing devices are no longer niche products in the eyes of desktop computing giant Lenovo as it fights to stake its claim in the so-called "post-PC" age.

In the 10 years since it bought IBM's PC business, including the iconic ThinkPad brand, China's Lenovo has risen to become the world's No. 1 PC seller.

Computer sales have fallen with the rise of tablets – where Lenovo sits at No. 3, globally, behind rivals Apple and Samsung – but now tablet sales are falling faster than PC sales.

Today's sales growth is coming from hybrid devices which sit between a notebook and a tablet.

1442197766183.jpg

The Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 14 Photo: Supplied

While they began life as consumer-focused novelties, hybrids paved the way for more polished, business-focused "notebook replacements". Their keyboards either detach – like Microsoft's Surface Pro tablets and Apple's new iPad Pro – or they fold back behind the screen like Lenovo's ThinkPad Yoga.

Hybrids are yet to rival traditional PC sales but they're are outselling tablets, Lenovo Asia-Pacific president Roderick Lappin says.

While initially aimed at consumers, Lenovo's convertible Yoga range won favour with business users; spawning the ThinkPad Yoga and the Surface Pro-style IdeaPad Miix 700, which was launched at the recent IFA technology show in Berlin.

"Hybrid certainly isn't a niche, it's a serious product category," Lappin says. "PC sales are slowly coming down, but within that is the 2-in-1 convertible space, which is growing dramatically, and we're No. 1 in that space.

"Clearly, the hybrid concept has been honed over the last few years, but I'd say the bigger change is that people are coming around to the idea of hybrids; they want to be productive and to be productive you need a keyboard."

The key to Lenovo's success is focusing on product innovation and acknowledging that there is no one-size-fits-all solution for personal computing, Lappin says.

He doesn't expect one design to win out and believes the market is large and diverse enough for several portable computing form factors to co-exist.

Lenovo has designed a product "based on what people want", Lappin says of the similarities between Lenovo's Miix 700 and Microsoft's Surface 3 Pro.

"The reality is that when you look at the Windows tablet space, the No.1 player is Microsoft with Surface and there's a reason for it. It's not actually a tablet, it's a notebook replacement hitting the sweet spot in that 2-in-1 convertible category," he says.

"We've looked at it and said 'we can deliver something as good if not better, with more ports and a lot more dynamism'. We understand keyboards a lot better, so we can put a keyboard on it and still be well priced."

An established business computing brand in Australia, Lenovo entered the local consumer market last year, establishing new offices and striking major retail partnerships with JB Hi-Fi and Harvey Norman. While selling tablets in Australia, Lenovo is yet to offer smartphones; instead backing the Motorola brand acquired from Google last year.

Lenovo is also expanding into the gaming PC market, leveraging its ownership of German PC maker Medion to launch several high-end gaming PCs at IFA in Berlin.

Read more: Business users embrace hybrids in post-PC age: Lenovo
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

You know, you guys show so much hate against Pakistanis and Chinese, its not even funny. I am not a China fan due to many things. But here on this topic, Lenovo makes what used to be American products, IBM Think Pads, the first real laptops, desktops and servers that hit the market.

China acquired it, but doesn't mean it became the "Chinese" tech. The reason they bought IBM's division was to gain access to American tech. Motorola is another American brand and a very well known one. What they build, are also products based on the American technology.

People who say Lenovo doesn't have a footprint in the industry are plain stupids and are spreading pure hate, not reality. I met with the Indian CIO of Disney today.....guess what the entire floor was using? Lenovo, for whatever reason, I noticed it. In the conference room we sat, there were 7 Lenovo's, 2 Apple and 1 HP laptops. You go to other places like Google, Boeing, Microsoft, ATT, etc, etc, you see Lenovo's, and Dell's and some HP's. HP is big in the hardware business. Not so much so in personal computing side. That's Dell and Lenovo.

Let's not lie on stuff just because I or others don't like the Chinese!

I just bought a Lenovo all in one desktop...I just wanted something for small time office stuff. So decided to go for something cheep.

Not happy with the performance. Windows 8.1 not performing good and actually crashed. Then I had some similar reviews from friends . so had to install windows 8 which works ok . but performance still suboptimal. I don't think it can match apple or even dell or HP or Sony comps for that matter in terms of performance.

The only positive thing - it is cheep.
So people buy it and later revert it after experiencing the performance.

Another hateful propaganda India vs. China post!!!! Lenovo has kicked Dell's as* to a ditch based on performance, heavier duty systems, lighter architecture and its American brand name and tech, yes, the American tech that is what Lenovo sells, aka, the IBM think pad laptops, servers and all. IBM made one of the best products of its time, way ahead of Dell, Compaq and all (back then) and now that's re-branded as Lenovo. The real competition is between Dell and Lenovo in personal computers and laptop space.

Dell TODAY announced that its investing $ 125 BILLION in China. So in the next three years, even Dell will be manufacturing their laptops in China!

It's got a long way to go in order to be a real challenge for Apple.

Business users embrace hybrids in post-PC age: Lenovo

The real competition at this time is between Dell and Lenovo in laptop and personal computing space. Dell is very concerned about Lenovo as I recently met their executives and they just shift their strategy.

They are going to be investing $ 125 BILLION in China to start to manufacture Dell computers there and compete inside the Chinese market too, as that's where the highest growth is, combine the neighboring countries like India and Pakistan, all three countries (China, India and Pakistan), represent the largest world market and all three are higher growth countries. So Dell is going to be all Made in China too, just three more years!!!

OH, Motorola ... now become 'Made in China', Good Job Lenovo ! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I always get suprise if something is not made in China....Anyway, i think it is good to see that Asian products are creating qualitative things in the market....Although Apple is in different league, but i think it is too expensive..

pCs (laptops desktops convertibles) are all just commodity. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer - very little difference. In corporate deals whoever provides the best $ price wins the deal. And that incudes stuff like software distribution, warranty etc. Lookimg at the prices these guys sell these days, I sometimes wonder how they stay in business! Where is Apple's >60% gross margin and where's the PC vendor's <15% gross margin! Intel makes the processor, Micron makes the memory, Msft makes the O/S & office, Samsung or Maxtor makes the har disk....in effect the PC companies just run the assembly and logistics! Shouldn;t even call them technology companies!

Smart phones and tablets are getting that way too, though there seems to be more feature improvements possible there. Actually on the smartphone side believe it or not, the Chinese local brand xiamin (I know I'm murdering the name and spelling) or giameen is a decent working device for if I remember right, <$35!

In the US, Lenovo is the standard in business. Nobody in business uses Apple except for recreation.
I see only Chinese thanking you but oh well. Lenovo was on top cause it was IBM's brand for far too long now its mostly Dell.

Matter of fact, if someone wants performance in US they most probably go for Asus and for style go for Sony or Dell XPS series (Good performance too) and is more popular than Lenovo any day for general users. The lenovos are not bad but please, gives us all a break.

I see only Chinese thanking you but oh well. Lenovo was on top cause it was IBM's brand for far too long now its mostly Dell.

Matter of fact, if someone wants performance in US they most probably go for Asus and for style go for Sony or Dell XPS series (Good performance too) and is more popular than Lenovo any day for general users. The lenovos are not bad but please, gives us all a break.

the **** are you talking about lol? you live in India. I live in the US. Asus is in a tailspin even though its computers are far cheaper than Lenovo's. Dell's computers are on average 100 dollars or so cheaper than Lenovo's for simlar specs. Yet Lenovo is still the biggest PC manufacturer.

the **** are you talking about lol? you live in India. I live in the US. Asus is in a tailspin even though its computers are far cheaper than Lenovo's. Dell's computers are on average 100 dollars or so cheaper than Lenovo's for simlar specs. Yet Lenovo is still the biggest PC manufacturer.
Lol, Is that only you live in US? Grow up.

Asus/XPS along with Alienware (On top) from Dell is leading the pack here in performance.

Business is very much on Dell, not to mention that BB is long gone and replaced by iPhones in businesses where Lenovo is zilch. Dells have been cheaper for a long time now, its not because they are not good machines but because of the business model they adopted. They basically handed IBM and now Lenovo their asses in the consumer and business arena. (laptop / Desktop Market)

You know, you guys show so much hate against Pakistanis and Chinese, its not even funny. I am not a China fan due to many things. But here on this topic, Lenovo makes what used to be American products, IBM Think Pads, the first real laptops, desktops and servers that hit the market.

?? I'm not doing any hating @Tiger Genie and I are just replying to the statement "In the US, Lenovo is the standard in business".

I have honestly never seen a Lenovo desktop in any of the companies I have worked for or worked with. BUT as I have stated I currently have a Lenovo keyboard for my computer at work. I even see Lenovo monitors, But honestly no desktops. I think Tiger Genie noticed the same thing.

But it appears you have witnessed differently. I have no reason to doubt you.

They probably have s huge portion of the marketshare for laptops. The companies I deal don't usually issue their employees laptops.

The real competition at this time is between Dell and Lenovo in laptop and personal computing space. Dell is very concerned about Lenovo as I recently met their executives and they just shift their strategy.

They are going to be investing $ 125 BILLION in China to start to manufacture Dell computers there and compete inside the Chinese market too, as that's where the highest growth is, combine the neighboring countries like India and Pakistan, all three countries (China, India and Pakistan), represent the largest world market and all three are higher growth countries. So Dell is going to be all Made in China too, just three more years!!!
So in the next three years, even Dell will be manufacturing their laptops in China!

What do you mean start??????
They ALREADY make their desktop/laptop computers in China. In fact they had some abuse of workers trouble a few years ago. Revealed: Appalling conditions of factory workers who make Dell computers who are forced to work seven-day, 74-hour weeks and live in dorms with no hot water | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
?? I'm not doing any hating @Tiger Genie and I are just replying to the statement "In the US, Lenovo is the standard in business".

I have honestly never seen a Lenovo desktop in any of the companies I have worked for or worked with. BUT as I have stated I currently have a Lenovo keyboard for my computer at work. I even see Lenovo monitors, But honestly no desktops. I think Tiger Genie noticed the same thing.
I have seen many companies in US which are only on Dell, it used to be ThinkPad a long time back. Dell has pushed Lenovo in the business arena.

Back
Top Bottom