What's new

China Economy Forum

looks Beautiful.... what about interior
maindeck_001.jpg

GUEST_01.jpg

OwnerState_001.jpg

Lounge_01.jpg

decks_000.jpg

I just fall in love with this yacht! HOLY!

Property Pile-Up: Which Chinese Provinces Rely Most Heavily on Real Estate?

Don’t put too many eggs into one basket: That’s Economics 101.

But try telling that to Chinese cities, whose growth in recent years has been powered by investment in the real estate market. Such investments have long been seen as the lowest-hanging fruit for many local governments eager to meet their growth targets.

Now, a new analysis shows just which Chinese provinces have become most reliant on property investment.

Those provinces are Hainan, Guizhou and Yunnan, according to data compiled byChina Business News. Driven mainly by tourism-related demand, property investment takes up 36% of Hainan’s gross domestic product, Guizhou 27% and Yunnan 25%, the paper said.

Chinese authorities aren’t happy about this kind of trend. The central government has said that the country needs to diversify its economic model away from investment-led growth into one that’s driven more by consumption

But unlike large metropolises such as Shanghai and Beijing, the paper said, the economies of these three southern provinces aren’t that sophisticated, hence their greater reliance on tourism-related property development.

In addition to building hotels, property developers in those areas have also been buying land to build vacation homes, the paper said.

Hainan Island, often called China’s Hawaii, is a popular beach destination for Chinese tourists. Hotels there are also known for charging exorbitant prices during the peak seasons. Sanya, Hainan’s southernmost city, has been focused on developing resorts but continues to lack high-grade modern office buildings for leasing, according to a report in June by U.S.-based non-profit research organization the Urban Land Institute.

Meanwhile, many property developers have poured into southwest Yunnan province’s cities of Kunming and Xishuangbanna to build tourism-related projects in recent years, the paper said. The province, which borders Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos, boasts a mild climate that attracts Chinese retirees and those who want to escape the winter cold.

But those provinces experiencing a boom in tourism-related projects aren’t the only ones that excessively rely on the real estate market. Provinces like Fujian, Liaoning and Anhui — which are thought of as having more diversified economies backed by resources and manufacturing — still made it to the top ten list of provinces and municipalities with the highest levels of property investment as a share of GDP. See the full table here:

AI-CK209_CRT_BL_G_20140812040655.jpg

----------
Hainan is a tourist destination, it lacks other industry but tourism. So whatever it builds. Chongqing and Liaoning are in trouble. Chongqing are rivals of Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin. Chongqing city is developed, but it has so many poor counties. Liaoning is basically famous for its heavy industry. Although Zhejiang is 18%, it still surprises me. I thought Zhejiang was the last province that need real estate industry, since it's the most developed region in east coast and the No.1 most vibrant place for SMEs and financial activities.

Hainan is a tourist destination, it lacks other industry but tourism. So whatever it builds. Chongqing and Liaoning are in trouble. Chongqing are rivals of Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin. Chongqing city is developed, but it has so many poor counties. Liaoning is basically famous for its heavy industry. Although Zhejiang is 18%, it still surprises me. I thought Zhejiang was the last province that need real estate industry, since it's the most developed region in east coast and the No.1 most vibrant place for SMEs and financial activities.

Golf courses, perhaps?

Golf courses, perhaps?

Maybe not. Zhejiang is famous for SME entrepreneur and capitalists or speculators. I respect the entrepreneur, but not the speculators, because they drive up the house prices by investing crazily in real estate everywhere in China and even abroad, of course including Zhejiang. After the house prices reached the peak in 2011-2012, they pull out, leaving the followers brankrupted and poor people homeless.

Back
Top Bottom