What's new

China Economy Forum

Some Zegna or Armani clothes are custom made only, whatever the fancy categorization.

The French are trying too hard for the sake of exclusivity

Well, the French have already softened the criteria, otherwise there would be a handful of haut couturiers left. Can you imagine the face of a lady to encounter another lady with the same robe she bought for 15k euro? :lol:

To uphold the criteria is also a way to preserve a certain culture and workmanship that is fast dying out. Do you know how many specialized steps and how many disciplines there are to make a robe? It's also a huge industry, a whole chain of businesses that supports the prêt-à-porter fashion because the haute couture radiate a magic and an aura of luxury that so many people cannot afford but want to be part of. Haute couture is the best advertisement for European luxury industry. I can't afford haut couture, well, there is still prêt-à-porter from the same fashion house. ;)

BTW, Armani privé (women) is in the haute couture club.

If China wants to make high fashion, it needs to preserve all the century old textile traditions and help them to modernise. It's as costly as to preserve the Gugong with all the different disciplines but it's worthwhile. Preserving an old culture, polish the image of Chinese products and make money from luxury crazy people. ;)

I see. I'm a big fan of football as well. Though there is one team I really don't like now, that is the 49ers. But besides that, there are no teams I really don't like.

Basically no teams I can say I really dislike. There are obviously have division rivals, but wouldn't quite classify that as a dislike. The cowboys come close though!

Well, the French have already softened the criteria, otherwise there would be a handful of haut couturiers left. Can you imagine the face of a lady to encounter another lady with the same robe she bought for 15k euro? :lol:

To uphold the criteria is also a way to preserve a certain culture and workmanship that is fast dying out. Do you know how many specialized steps and how many disciplines there are to make a robe? It's also a huge industry, a whole chain of businesses that supports the prêt-à-porter fashion because the haute couture radiate a magic and an aura of luxury that so many people cannot afford but want to be part of. Haute couture is the best advertisement for European luxury industry. I can't afford haut couture, well, there is still prêt-à-porter from the same fashion house. ;)

If China wants to make high fashion, it needs to preserve all the century old textile traditions and help them to modernise. It's as costly as to preserve the Gugong with all the different disciplines but it's worthwhile. Preserving an old culture, polish the image of Chinese products and make money from luxury crazy people. ;)
It's hard believe that all of those was spoken from German, Mr Fashion:-) Absolutly, I have no qualification since we nearly wear raincoat now.

Hi Chinese friends, I'm an individual who freely to say what I really feel about this or that, and look directly at our own problem.
Vietnam has the same issue on debt related to real estate. And I heard that the same issue in China even more serious because of its scale; we could see several "ghost cities" without residents and seem turning to be slowly ruined by climate ... in China.

How it's similar to Vietnam, but bigger, we worry about our problem right now too, you know.
We never hide that. We want the govt. make clear on that.

Please share what really happen in there, don't let any self-respect or someone control your saying. Thanks

Our GDP was 9.25 trillion USD in 2013, it will top 10 trillion USD in this year for sure.

9.4 trillion USD using year-end exchange rates。

Slightly lower than what I expected(9.5-9.6 trillion)because of the lower than expected inflation rate。

9.4 trillion USD using year-end exchange rates。

Slightly lower than what I expected(9.5-9.6 trillion)because of the lower than expected inflation rate。

I was using the average exchange rate of the entire year of 2013.

Hi Chinese friends, I'm an individual who freely to say what I really feel about this or that, and look directly at our own problem.
Vietnam has the same issue on debt related to real estate. And I heard that the same issue in China even more serious because of its scale; we could see several "ghost cities" without residents and seem turning to be slowly ruined by climate ... in China.

How it's similar to Vietnam, but bigger, we worry about our problem right now too, you know.
We never hide that. We want the govt. make clear on that.

Please share what really happen in there, don't let any self-respect or someone control your saying. Thanks

Ghost cities, are there ACTUAL ghost cities that are badly located and built? Certainly, but what they don't tell you is most ghost cities fill up in a 5-7 year period. By this point you know how the media works, they tell half stories, not a lie, but not the whole truth.

The funny thing with debt is that it may soon be an even bigger issue. The government currently controls the interest rates, so banks won't invest in smaller, riskier business due to low return. An investor needs huge returns on risky business due to the risk of 1 in 10 succeed, if that. Not talking brothels (wink if you get the reference, lol)

The banking regulations will soon be relaxed and an American model will take place, this will bring higher innovation, but also has side effects. The Dot Com bubble is an example of going too far.

Climates, it's a definate problem, I won't lie, government is tackling it, it won't work soon, 10-20 years before Shanghai and Beijing are about the current levels of New york or London, which is still not great. Vietnam, India is on deck next, let's see how you guys handle the at bats, whether if you learnt anything? Though if recent developments is any indications, you are about as reckless as us, if not more so.

All in all, just remember this, a lot of Western anyalist either are blind, or just covering their eyes, China isn't America.

China is a prospect, America is a finished product. In sports, if we both broke our arms, the prospect will still get better, due to growth in body, improvements in sports IQ, and more polished skill sets, but a established player, this will be a set back because there isn't anymore potential, he is who he is.

American bubble burst and he's out, but thinks the same for China, but if and when it happens China will come back stronger, because we are just in our teenage years.

January 19, 2014: 10:01
HONG KONG (CNNMoney)
China's economy grew at a faster pace last year than the government's official target, even as Beijing sought to implement painful economic reforms.
Gross domestic product grew by 7.7% in 2013 over the previous year, according to China's National Bureau of Statistics, a performance that matched the median estimate of a CNNMoney survey. Full-year expansion was supported by 7.7% growth in the final quarter of the year, beating the survey forecast of 7.6% by a whisker.

While last year's growth topped the government's official target of 7.5%, China's economy is stagnating after recording revised 7.7% GDP growth in 2012 and 9.3% in 2011. Looking ahead for 2014, GDP growth is expected to slow to 7.4%.

China's benchmark index, the Shanghai Composite, slipped 0.2% after the announcement. Hong Kong's Hang Seng index dipped 0.3%.
China GDP growth exceeds government target - Jan. 19, 2014

It's not just for exclusivity, everyone is different, just because a suit "fits" doesn't mean it's perfect.

Arm length, and stomach as well as a lot of other body part all play a role. A Bespoke suit is just that, fitted. If you change positions, it still fits, because it's like you skin sort of.

A professional definitely need it.

Ready to wear works better on sporty or leisure clothing.

I'm not a tailor so can't explain the details.

The part on "exclusivity" refers to the impractical set of French criteria for Haute Couture which left 21 designer label abandoning it, not bespoke Zegna clothing. To get the perfect fit, suits or even Qipao have to be tailored made.

These Haute Couture fashion houses make ready to wear suits too.

It's hard believe that all of those was spoken from German, Mr Fashion:-) Absolutly, I have no qualification since we nearly wear raincoat now.

I'm lucky to have many friends who work in the haute couture in Paris and thus had the opportunity to be invited to the shows and see what happens on and behind the stage. I also did some reports about the fashion industry. :)

The part on "exclusivity" refers to the impractical set of French criteria for Haute Couture which left 21 designer label abandoning it, not bespoke Zegna clothing. To get the perfect fit, suits or even Qipao have to be tailored made.

These Haute Couture fashion houses make ready to wear suits too.

Whether it's practical or not, it's a fact that French and other European products are seen as luxurious and well sought after in the world thanks to the magical aura of haute couture.

You see, with haute couture you can lift practiclly any product of your country into a different level. Car and fashion, food/ wine and fashion, airlines and fashion, tourism and fashion etc., etc, pp. ... whatever your country does can be linked with an air of exclusivity directly and indirectly. And plenty of people just love to be near that. Why do you think France, a small country of less than 60 million, is the most visited country in the world?

Last edited:
Ghost cities, are there ACTUAL ghost cities that are badly located and built? Certainly, but what they don't tell you is most ghost cities fill up in a 5-7 year period. By this point you know how the media works, they tell half stories, not a lie, but not the whole truth.

The funny thing with debt is that it may soon be an even bigger issue. The government currently controls the interest rates, so banks won't invest in smaller, riskier business due to low return. An investor needs huge returns on risky business due to the risk of 1 in 10 succeed, if that. Not talking brothels (wink if you get the reference, lol)

The banking regulations will soon be relaxed and an American model will take place, this will bring higher innovation, but also has side effects. The Dot Com bubble is an example of going too far.

Climates, it's a definate problem, I won't lie, government is tackling it, it won't work soon, 10-20 years before Shanghai and Beijing are about the current levels of New york or London, which is still not great. Vietnam, India is on deck next, let's see how you guys handle the at bats, whether if you learnt anything? Though if recent developments is any indications, you are about as reckless as us, if not more so.

All in all, just remember this, a lot of Western anyalist either are blind, or just covering their eyes, China isn't America.

China is a prospect, America is a finished product. In sports, if we both broke our arms, the prospect will still get better, due to growth in body, improvements in sports IQ, and more polished skill sets, but a established player, this will be a set back because there isn't anymore potential, he is who he is.

American bubble burst and he's out, but thinks the same for China, but if and when it happens China will come back stronger, because we are just in our teenage years.

In brief, you means everything still great there ?
So lucky ... everything not too bad ... as we could see in the media.

In Vietnam, the problem is still bad, 5-7 years not enough for recovering the real estates issue

The French Haute Couture criteria are as impractical as their insistence to speak French instead of English. If the Swiss were to follow such criteria as to define what is Manufacture Movement, then more than 95% of the Swiss watch maker wouldn't have qualified.

The French Haute Couture criteria are as impractical as their insistence to speak French instead of English. If the Swiss were to follow such criteria as to define what is Manufacture Movement, then more than 95% of the Swiss watch maker wouldn't have qualified.

Oh, the Swiss also have their criteria but different. They have the prêt-à-porter watches for a few thousand Swiss franc and the Haute Joaillerie (right now: Boucheron, Chanel, Chaumet, Dior, Mellerio dits Meller, Van Cleef & Arpels) watches for a few 10k to a few 100k Swiss franc. It's a whole system that supports European products. ,)

Montblanc fountain pents from Hamburg, e.g. has two ateliers manufacturing the pens. One is high price mass productions with still many handmade steps and one exclusive line for induvidually made-by-order pens (100% handmade) for a few 10k to far over 100k euros.

And one thing you have to admit is, very few if anyone think of luxury when they buy Chinese products but on the other hand if people talk about luxury France and other European products come into mind instantly ... and that has a lot to do with the impractical haute couture. If it's practical, it's not a luxury. ;)

Oh, the Swiss also have their criteria but different. They have the prêt-à-porter watches for a few thousand Swiss franc and the Haute Joaillerie (right now: Boucheron, Chanel, Chaumet, Dior, Mellerio dits Meller, Van Cleef & Arpels) watches for a few 10k to a few 100k Swiss franc. It's a whole system that supports European products. ,)

Montblanc fountain pents from Hamburg, e.g. has two ateliers manufacturing the pens. One is high price mass productions with still many handmade steps and one exclusive line for induvidually made-by-order pens (100% handmade) for a few 10k to far over 100k euros.

And one thing you have to admit is, very few if anyone think of luxury when they buy Chinese products but on the other hand if people talk about luxury France and other European products come into mind instantly ... and that has a lot to do with the impractical haute couture. If it's practical, it's not a luxury. ;)

In Swiss watchmaking, there is no Haute Couture or ready to wear, everything is on catalogue. Boucheron, Chanel, Chaumet, Dior.... are not watchmaker like Patek Philipe or Audemar Piguet. They are fashion houses.

My point is, it can be both practical and luxury like Swiss watches.

Back
Top Bottom