What's new

China details performance of 'carrier killer' missile for JF-17 at Dubai Airshow

PakPrinciples

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
DUBAI: China details performance of 'carrier killer' missile for JF-17

Chinese aerospace giant AVIC has quietly advertised critical details about the accuracy and performance of a secretive project to develop a supersonic cruise missile reportedly dubbed an “aircraft carrier killer” by the launch customer.

A full list of specifications for the CM-400AKG missile was played on a loop inside the AVIC exhibit stand at the Dubai air show; a marketing venue for the JF-17 fighter jointly developed between China and Pakistan - the latter of which operates the type as the "Thunder".

News reports have indicated the CM-400 has entered service with the Pakistan air force. The AVIC video notes vaguely that the 910kg (2,000lb) weapon “can be carried by JF-17, etc”. It is usually compared with the Indian/Russian Brahmos high-speed cruise missile.
For the first time, the AVIC video details claims for the accuracy of each of the CM-400’s three major guidance systems, starting with a 50m (164ft) circular error probable (CEP) for an inertial navigation system coupled with satellite positioning. A weapon's CEP is defined as the 50% probability that it will hit within a given radius of the target’s position.

The accuracy of the CM-400 improves by an order of magnitude - to a CEP of 5m - when an onboard infrared (IR)/TV seeker activates to provide terminal guidance. The list also claims that the CEP of the weapon actually worsens to 5-10m when an IR/TV seeker is supplemented by a passive radar during the terminal phase. It is not clear why the passive radar – identified as occupying the L, S and X bands of the electromagnetic spectrum – would not improve the CM-400’s accuracy.

*Note: The INS Vikrant is 262 meters long and 60 meters wide. Price of the INS Vikrant is between $2.25 to $2.9 billion USD while the cost per CM-400AKG missile is $2 to $3 million USD. With a CEP of 5 meters the odds of the warhead landing beyond 15 meters from the intended strike zone is only 0.2%.

AVIC lists the 0.4m-diameter missile as having a range of between 54-130nm (100-240km), while carrying either a 150kg blast warhead or 200kg penetration warhead.

A list of system features appears to confirm an unusual characteristic associated with the CM-400. Unlike most high-speed cruise missiles, which fly at low altitude to avoid detection, the CM-400 uses “high [altitude] launching” to achieve “higher aircraft survivability”, according to the video.

A fighter such as the Chengdu/Pakistan Aeronautical Complex JF-17 would launch the missile at speeds between Mach 0.7 and M0.9 at an elevation between 26,200ft and 39,400ft, according to the AVIC specifications.

News reports indicate the weapon was publicly unveiled by China at the Zuhai air show in 2012.

Source: DUBAI: China details performance of 'carrier killer' missile for JF-17

Last edited:
I think it would be difficult to ''Sink'' the carrier even with multiple hits but putting The carrier out of action During an Indo-pak Conflict would be enough.

An upgrade of the missile is under active development according to an AVIC official at the same Air Show。

Reminds me of David and Goliath.
david_vs_goliath_color_comp_wip_by_nickhuddlestonartist-d68tsu1.jpg

A nice addition indeed. Good to hear about the upgraded version. :pakistan::cheers::china:

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::pakistan::pakistan::china::china::dance3::dance3:
Pak China Friendship Zindabad
some chinese give me a hug (not really though, i don't like hugs)

Reminds me of Titanic

maxresdefault.jpg

Gaining the Carrier Killer would be a Great Strategic asset for Pakistani Airforce infact these are nothing short of Game Changer acquisition

Have the Chinese tested this missile? They have a carrier now the lianing to test it on

Have the Chinese tested this missile? They have a carrier now the lianing to test it on
come on my friend,we do not even wanna to fire at some tiny CV with yj12 because this type was desigened for US NAVYor japs, not those pitiful rubbish in indian ocean,S E E W H A T I M E A N?

we have developed our own yj12 and yj18(similiar to "kallaite p900",not the "club missle" in indian sub "kilo ssk887 "which can destroy ur own subs)
do u know the BrahMos is a simplyfy type of "onyx p800"?the russians peddle to us in last century but without hesitation we refused.so they tend to communicate with dirty and corrupt indian officers
that is so fuuuuuuuuuny,don't u think?
my friend ,i have to emphasize ,i weep for indian

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom